2007 Toyota RAV4 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 12 of 13)

Sep 242009

RAV4

I have been very disappointed with problems arise with the steering column this problem has been noticeable concerns for many customer who have owned rav 4 and Toyota has done nothing to resolve or even letting the customers be aware of this problem. It starts off as a clunk sound when you turn right or left or when you are backing up, it started for around 32,000 but dealer could not find the problem until I pushed the issue. By that time it was just pasted the warranty (37000 miles).

- Kitchener,On, 00, USA

Jun 032010

RAV4

Oem battery died. Vehicle was jump started. During subsequent operation power steering stopped working intermittently causing difficulty steering vehicle.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

May 062010

RAV4

2007 Toyota Rav4 steering column (intermediate shaft). This is a known manufacturing defect by Toyota and they have issued a tsb in 2008. Only have 16.5K mi. (low). Dealer will not cover under warrant (bought in Sept. 2006).

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jul 012009

RAV4

Clunking sound while turning steering wheel at low speeds. Toyota issued tsb 0318-08 regarding issue and has per the tsb "a new intermediate shaft has been developed to address the condition." Despite widespread failure of steering linkage mechanism Toyota will not replace part at no cost to consumer.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Apr 172010

RAV4

2007 rav 4sport has clunking sound when turning. Noticed it around 30,000 miles, & is one of the maintenance items the dealer is supposed to check every 5000 mile service which I have done since the vehicle was new. (inspect steering linkage and boots).my vehicle now has 46,000 miles on it, & I had asked the dealer if there was a problem, & he acted like he had not ever heard of a clunking noise in the steering, but came up with a $590 repair price & told me it was unsafe. He would not cover the defect because it was only covered until 36,000 miles. I came home & got on the internet, & there are similar complaints everywhere. Please help?

- Auburndale, FL, USA

Mar 102010

RAV4

There is a clunking/knocking noise in steering shaft. Only normal use on this vehicle on city streets. A failure in the steering shaft could cause death at highway speeds for obvious reasons. Toyota has acknowledged the problem by issuing T-sb-0318-08, but refuses to issue a safety recall or pay for repair after warranty expires. This is a manufacturing defect and they acknowledge this by the fact that they have changed the part used here (new pn 45221-42070). This is serious and affects all 06-08 Rav4 SUVS. Just search for "steering clunk Rav4" if you want evidence.

- Stillwater, OK, USA

Mar 262010

RAV4

2007 Toyota Rav4 has a binding and thumping noise in the steering column when the steering wheel is turned to the left or right.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Jan 012009

RAV4

Toyota Rav4 2007. I've been hearing unusual sound when I turn steering wheel specially from parking position. Toyota elk grove ca said this is normal. I don't think this is normal. Any noise while turning steering wheel is not normal because turning steering wheel doesn't suppose to produce noise.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Dec 272009

RAV4

Intermittent failure of steering at vehicle startup. Steering wheel will not move in either direction and P/S indicator light comes on. Car must be turned off then restarted for steering to function. More frequently - steering wheel will shake slightly at startup as if it is about to lock, but continues to function normally. Toyota dealer said cause was low battery voltage and replaced battery. Problem occurred again less than 2 months later. Will return vehicle - still under warranty - for another repair of the same problem.

- Kent, OH, USA

Jan 152010

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. While driving 35 mph when turning the steering wheel in any direction at any speed he heard a noise. The manufacturer suggested that both of the intermediate shafts be replaced. A local mechanic replaced both intermediate shafts. The contact was concerned about safety. The failure mileage was approximately 37,025. The current mileage was 38,100.

- Brentwood, CA, USA

Nov 302009

RAV4

Steering issue with 2007 Toyota Rav4 sport. Big noise and sudden slip feeling in steering when turning left or right at slow speeds especially while taking out of garage or getting in or while taking turns on bumpy road.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 012009

RAV4 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Toyota Rav4 4WD V6 limited that had a defectively designed steering shaft. In early 2009, I began to notice a loud "clunk" when my vehicle turned slowly (fwd or back from a stop) or when I entered or exited my driveway. Quick research revealed others with this condition on 2006 and 2007 Rav4S, it was likely a defective steering shaft..improperly engineered at the joint, and it was wearing/loosening. Toyota had apparently issued a T-sb-0318-08 to replace the shaft when owners complained. I took my Rav4 in for service to check, and it was confirmed that the steering shaft needed to be replaced. However, my mileage exceeded the 36,000 mile warranty, and despite numerous diplomatic attempts on my part, Toyota denied coverage on the basis of mileage, despite my argument of a safety defect. I argued that this loosening/defective steering shaft could break and cause a loss of steering control at highway speeds. I was ignored numerous times through regional and national Toyota "customer service" channels. My local dealer was friendly, buy unable to convince Toyota to help. I finally decided to have the steering column repaired at my expense, fearing for the safety of my steering, and Toyota could not assure me that the steering was safe without the repair (they refused to comment). I told them I would be reporting this to the nhtsb, and they did not seem to care. I spent over $500 to replace a defectively designed steering shaft, and I hope others with this issue are reporting this to hold Toyota accountable for potential safety defects.

- Oregon, OH, USA

Mar 032007

RAV4

Clicking noise in steering shaft. I had mentioned this to the dealer in numerous occasion the month after my warranty wore out they mentioned yes there is a problem and several vehicles have been brought in for this problem its called the steering shaft which makes a clicking noise and sometimes becomes stuck. The dealer headquarter Toyota (horrible servicer) failed to take responsibility and I contacted the Toyota and they said they would not cover the part even though there is recalls in Japan for this same situation. I am not able to cover this expensive part and so im waiting to see if the recalls comes to the us before there is an accident.

- Hialeah , FM, USA

Feb 172010

RAV4

2007 Rav4 steering clunking noise.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 132010

RAV4

2007 Toyota Rav4 has loud clunking noises and "catches" when turning the wheel left or right. Supposed to be a steering issue caused by a manufacturers defect, but Toyota not will not cover any repairs that cost upwards of $1,000. Dealer says this is a common problem but will not respond to complainants about it being a safety issue. If steering fails, will Toyota be responsible?

- Universal City, TX, USA

Jun 012009

RAV4

Steering column in 2007 Toyota Rav4. Problem is S manufacturing defect that will not be corrected if the car is out of warranty. Makes a very loud noise whenever steering wheel is turned and has a tendency to "wander" to side of road.

- Granger, IN, USA

Sep 102007

RAV4

Large steering noise when car is turned at certain speeds, which is well characterized by other son my 2007 Rav4. See a link: townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F0C40D0 this issue has been brought to the attention of the dealership shortly after I purchased the car. I am concerned about how safe the car is enlight of Toyota's quality control issues.

- Corona, CA, USA

Feb 012010

RAV4 6-cyl

Steering wheel problem with 2007 Toyota rav 4. the consumer stated the steering wheel would make a strange noise every time he turned the wheel. The dealer stated it was a common problem. The dealer stated a new steering shaft was needed. The seals on the intermediate shaft of the steering wheel system had dried up and was causing the joint to make a noise. Updated 03/08/10.

- Eagle Point, OR, USA

Oct 262009

RAV4

I have an 07 Toyota rav and recently had to take it to the dealer because of a clunking sound in the steering. Was told by the service rep that the intermediate steering rod is failing. The splines are hitting the bottom assembly. Was also told that this is not a safety issue and is safe to drive. Cost was $415.70 for parts and $178 for labor. The issue is not the cost but concern that something (intermediate steering rod) in my steering is failing (when will it fail completely) and according to service rep...this is not a safety issue. Perhaps he should be turning the wheel, listening to the "clunking sound of the failing spines" and then thinking, "this is not a safety issue!"

- Coloma, MI, USA

Nov 132009

RAV4

Thumping/clunking sound heard/felt in steering when turning left. Diagnosed as bad intermediate steering shaft. Vehicle only 9,000 miles out of warranty and failure of this part at such low mileage is absurd. Had it replaced as potential safety threat. Selling dealer initially advised that repair would cost $839 but after further discussion of Toyota tsb's and internet info that this part has also been defective in Camry and avalons Toyota agreed to provide parts under warranty-saving $517. I paid labor of $321.

- Columbia, SC, USA