2007 Toyota RAV4 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 13 of 13)

Nov 152009

RAV4

Popping noise in steering at low speeds, indicating possible eventual failure of steering function. Toyota has been nonresponsive to customer complaints, though this is clearly a design failure that frequently shows just as vehicle exceeds warranty. Government pressure is required for Toyota to issue a recall before this nuisance issue becomes a safety issue.

- Greenbelt, MD, USA

Aug 152009

RAV4

I recently had to replace the steering shaft on my 2007 Toyota Rav4. My car was making popping noises when steering left and right. Come to find out it was the steering shaft. My car was above the mileage and out of the manufactures warranty. Since there was a tsb they said they would temporarily fix it by lubing it. The actual replacement of the steering shaft on my car cost me over $755.08 out of pocket. I had absolutely no choice but to pay this since I am not sure if it would have been safe to even continue driving my car. I know of one complaint on this exact same issue and I think it is ridiculous that we consumers should have to pay this out of our own pockets. Toyota should be issuing a recall for this.

- Newcastle , OK, USA

Sep 012009

RAV4

I have 2007 Toyota rav 4. the steering start making knocking / popping sound whenever I turn right or left. I found tsb from the website which is T-sb-0318-08. This tsb is to replace steering shaft. 2006,2007,2008 rav 4 is fall into this tsb. The problem is Toyota will do this tsb repair only the car is below 36K mile/36 month which is under manufacture warranty. If the car is out of warranty, consumer has to pay about $700. I don't understand why consumer has to pay for defective part replacement. If I don't replace the steering shaft, I don't know if it will be safe for keep driving or not. Toyota must recall the rav 4 to replace the steering shaft instead of tsb repair under the warranty. Steering is directly related with driver's safety.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Sep 172009

RAV4

The battery on my wife's 2007 Toyota Rav4 went out without warning, & so on the advice of the folsom lake Toyota garage, I jump started her car to get her home. The next morning I did the same, so that she could drive it to the garage to get fixed. When she started to drive the car however, the steering lock would not allow her to turn the wheel & she ended up driving towards the middle of the road. She immediately stopped, & told me, & so as I thought she meant that the power steering simply wasn't working, I said that I would drive it to the garage for her. When I started off however, the car steering lock stopped me turning the wheel, although only for a second or two, before the steering began to work correctly, & so I very slowly & carefully drove the car to the garage. The garage checked the car & said that it was just a faulty battery, but when I pointed out that if a faulty battery could cause the steering lock to engage while driving, this was a safety hazard, they said that when they asked Toyota, they simply said that it was working as designed, & so there was nothing they could do. Consequently, I called Toyota, & they told me that as the car has an electronic power steering module, the steering lock could engage with a bad battery. When I suggested to the customer services rep that they needed to address this issue as a safety hazard, she wasn't interested in helping, & point blank refused to give me contact details for her boss, or anyone at Toyota North America or Japan, only the customer services dept., I.e., people like herself. I find it insulting that Toyota not only appears not to care about the safety of their customers, but also doesn't appear to want to hear from their customers, e.g., when I took a survey after my call, & entered some very low numbers for service care, the call was deliberately cut off by Toyota. So much for Japanese service!

- Folsom, CA, USA

Sep 092008

RAV4

Part worn out in steering column they call it the shaft.

- P B Gardens, FL, USA

Jan 052008

RAV4

Steering noise-whether turning left or right you can hear and feel a noise(clanking sound). The feel is on the steering column and wheel. This vehicle has 10,000 mi. But the problem has been there since 6,000 mi.. tire pressure is good, I check it once a week.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

May 132008

RAV4 4-cyl

Electric power steering failure, had to drive from lorsburge N.M.to el paso tx 180 miles with no electric power steering. Took car to dick poe Toyota on 5/14/08 car had 2 failure codes 1-computer failed 2-power steering motor failed dealer would not make repairs, car is covered by Toyota with 100,000 miles warranty.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Mar 032008

RAV4 4-cyl

07 Toyota rav 4 has had "pull to left" problem since purchased 6-07. Been to dealer twice for this and still cannot correct. They say it has been corrected. They found alignment. Problem 10-07, but just X-rotated tires 3-08 and said was corrected.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 152007

RAV4 4WD 4-cyl

Knocking/popping noise in steering when turn left or right. Sometime happens when make a U-turn.

- Bronx, NY, USA

May 082007

RAV4 4WD 6-cyl

Clunk in power steering (rack-and-pinion) while making a turn at a slow speed (can be heart and felt on steering wheel).

- Fair Lawn, NJ, USA

Jul 282007

RAV4 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. While driving at any speed, the vehicle veered from left to right. The dealer stated that the tire pressure was different on all four tires. They corrected the tire pressure, however, the failure continued. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that all Toyota's experienced the failure. No repairs or adjustments were made. The failure mileage was 15 and current mileage was 1,100.

- Canton, MA, USA