2008 Toyota RAV4 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota RAV4:

2008 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 242016

RAV4

Have called a few Toyota dealers in the area to get this urgent recall taken care of. Nobody has the parts. Why is Toyota saying this is an "urgent safety recall" - quote from front of notice - yet not providing the parts to the dealers" one dealer said no bolts. Another dealer said no suspension arms. I am currently #139 on their list, once the parts come in. Can you really issue an urge nt safety recall, yet not provide the parts for repair???"

- Charlottte, NC, USA

Oct 112016

RAV4

Toyota wants to replace my rear suspension arms, align my wheels and the encase arms in epoxy. This will prevent any future alignments to my car without having to replace the suspension system. Something that was done on the last recall of the front end. However this time they are refusing to do the same thing. This is not returning the condition of my car to the condition it was in when I bought the car. And it is not acceptable to me.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Sep 272016

RAV4

1st issue was repeated recall over lower arm suspension bar that was permanently glued, to remedy safety concern. Now intermediate steering arm is bad, and problems w car swaying, and tires feeling wobbly. Being told Toyota will not cover expenses to repair related suspension issue. $750 car has only 53,000 miles... many other Rav4 owners w same problem. Afraid to drive.

- Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Aug 102016

RAV4

NHTSA recall number: 16V596 recall date: August 10, 2016 manufacturer recall number: G0V quote "the remedy will involve the replacement of both suspension arms and encasing them in epoxy. An alignment will be performed, as well, and warning labels will be applied. " this is obviously unacceptable, as encasing them in epoxy will negate any ability to align the suspension for the remainder of the life of the vehicle. If this is occurring on this model how many others are identical, if no other model has issue, then issue new parts that have those design aspects incorporated.

- La County, CA, USA

Jul 032016

RAV4

A rod in the right rear suspension failed while driving. My mechanic informed me it was part replaced in a safety recall, and that the left side part was near failure as well. This recall occurred in 20124 and is labeled csj. My mechanic recommended I contact Toyota. Toyota told me there was no further action on this recall and the recall replacement warranty had expired. More importantly, they had no interest in the safety aspect; they did not seem concerned that parts on both sides had were failing and that this might be a safety hazard for others.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 082016

RAV4

I looked at all the complaints already filed and I have the same thing. My mechanic at a private car service place could not align my tires because there was a permanent fix put in place during a recall notice that I received back in 2014. My mechanic called Toyota dealer and asked what could be done and was told that Toyota could replace the arms for $1,500. My mechanic said he could do a retro fit for $100 which is what I told him to do. My mechanic was really disgusted about the way this was handled. He said I was really lucky that the wear on my tires had not caused me an accident. I was lucky that I happened to notice that the inside rim of my tires was worn on all 4 tires and went to the service dealer.

- Longs, SC, USA

Aug 142014

RAV4 4-cyl

2008 Toyota rav 4. consumer writes in regards to rear suspension arm rust and failure recall. The consumer stated the dealer attempted to perform an alignment. However, the mechanic was unable to get the rear suspension in specification because suspension arms were bent. The consumer received two second opinion, and was informed the arms were not bent. The consumer had the arms removed and replaced with adjustable arms.

- Mullica Hill, NJ, USA

Oct 152015

RAV4

The right rear sway bar link broke and had to be replaced at 136842 miles. It was found by the Toyota dealer.

- Huron, OH, USA

Oct 062015

RAV4

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Rav4. While driving at 65 mph, the rear of the vehicle swayed left to right. Upon inspection, the contact noticed that the bolt that attached the rear passenger's side tie rod to the vehicle had detached. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the bolt needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The vehicle had previously been repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V383000 (suspension). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 64,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 01/20/16

- Centerville, OH, USA

Sep 142015

RAV4

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V383000 (suspension). The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to have all four tires replaced. The mechanic stated that the rear tires could not be aligned due to the epoxy from the recall remedy. As a result, the lower control arms needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 113,000.

- North Royalton , OH, USA

May 192015

RAV4

My 2008 Toyota rav 4 had a recall for the rear lower control arms, the first recall was around Jan. 12, 2013. (64,306) miles. At this time Toyota tightened the control arms to the correct torque and I believe completed alignment. About 1 yr later, on Jan.17, 2014 (78,847) miles, the lower control arms where replaced, alignment was done, and epoxy was applied to the bolts for a permanent fix approved by Toyota. When having my brakes replaced at Toyota dealer on May 17, 2015 (101,475) miles, they informed me my rear alignment was out slightly. I was told the only way to fix this is to have the same job done, as was done in January 2014, at a cost of approx. $900. I was told I must have hit a pot hole?? this was a Toyota recall for a defect on their part with their parts. Obviously, the permanent fix didn't work. I guess they would expect me to pay every time my vehicles rear comes out of alignment to pay $900. My Toyota rav 4 has always been serviced at the same Toyota dealership in vineland, New Jersey, which is where I purchased it new. I contacted Toyota Corp, and they where no help. Also, having a problem with excessive oil consumption, like many others. What has happened to Toyota and their reputation!

- Vineland, NJ, USA

Apr 172015

RAV4

The rear suspension wheel nuts gave up, which caused the entire car go to the ditch. My wife and my two kids was on the car, and luckily they get out and safely stopped the car. Toyota informed me that they repaired these rear bolts last year because it had recall before, but still the issue is happening even if they perform repair. Literally this can cause a lot of bad accidents and lost if Toyota even don't repair correctly on the rear suspensions of Rav4.

- Snellville , GA, USA

Feb 032015

RAV4

Alignment on rear wheels cannot be performed because of safety recall performed by Toyota on my 2008 Rav4. The recall was to correct a safety issue on the rear lower suspension arms. The remedy for this issue does not allow for any adjustment to correct out of alignment on the rear of vehicle. This is an absurd correction of a problem. Why aren't all 2006-2011 Rav4 owners up in arms about the inability to align the rear of their vehicles? no Rav4 owner should accept the premature, uneven wearing of tires because Toyota cannot properly fix their manufacturing problem. Premature tire wear is not only costly to the consumer it also creates a potential safety issue with tire failure and impaired accident avoidance.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 022015

RAV4 4-cyl

Completed recall at dealership on 11/11/14 for rear lower suspension arm and the left wheel camber went in at -0 (well within specifications) and came out at -1 just barely within specifications( just noticed today because it failed an alignment test). Today, 2/2/15 (3 months and 2100 miles later) it is now not within specifications at -1. I complained to the service manager and was told that the fix to the rear lower suspension arm was a permanent fix and the car's rear alignment can no longer be changed because of the fix. I can't believe the dealership, as well as, Toyota would allow a permanent fix to a vehicle that was barely within specifications knowing that the fix was permanent. Now there is a high probably, that the tires on my car will not wear properly and the toe will be out as well.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Jan 142015

RAV4

I would like to file a complaint about Toyota hampton dealership in town, lafayette, la. 888-755-2961 (service). My wife and I have called this number multiple times and have been transferred several times but reached nowhere. We have left multiple messages but don't receive any phone call back from them. My wife even went there to make an appointment but they simply told her that they don't have opening. This is regarding a safety recall for our car. I am hoping that this recall is not an emergency issue but the customer service we received at this dealership was very strange. Answering service is a joke and people working there have an issue with foreigners. All I am concerned with is that I want the recall issue to be taken care of and I am not going there to make friends. I could care less if they treat me like outsiders. I would completely avoid this place but unfortunately it is the only one in town.

- Lafayette , LA, USA

May 302014

RAV4

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Rav4. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V383000 (suspension) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Mar 042013

RAV4

The contact owns a 2008 Rav4 Toyota. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 13V383000 (suspension). However, the part needed to perform the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Kailua-Kona , HI, USA

Jul 052014

RAV4

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Rav4. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 13V383000 (suspension), but the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lyons, IL, USA

Jan 022014

RAV4 6-cyl

Toyota dealer not being supplied with replacement parts. Dealer has no idea how much longer it will take to perform recall repair. I have waited 9 months and still getting the same story about no available parts and no timetable for repair. This is for recall csj. Chuck patterson Toyota in chico, ca is my Toyota dealer.

- Paradise, CA, USA

May 012014

RAV4

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, there was a loud abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred after the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 12V373000 (suspension) and NHTSA campaign id number: 13V383000 (suspension). The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the wheel bearing/hub assembly was replaced and while servicing the vehicle, the mechanic noticed that the nut that goes onto the axle, which holds the wheel bearing in place on the right front wheel bearing, was crooked. The mechanic stated that the recall repairs were not completed properly. The contact felt that the recall remedy instruction failed to remedy the vehicle. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000. The VIN was not available.

- Lake Mary, FL, USA