2006 Volkswagen Jetta drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta:

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

May 102014

Jetta 4-cyl

The direct shift gear transmission failed. The car could no longer get out of neutral.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Mar 132014

Jetta

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle suddenly decelerated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who replaced the "mechaeron". the manufacture was made aware of the failure however, declined to provide a remedy to fix the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 192,000.

- New Boston, MI, USA

Sep 222013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

At approx 80-90K I started hearing a clattering noise from the engine and extra noise when idling. Also, the car has a hard time shifting (automatic trans). After taking the car to a mechanic, I was told that it's the dsg dmf coming apart and rattling. After doing some research, I find it's a common problem. It started happening shortly after my car went out of cpo warranty, which expired at 74K. I didn't really pay that much attention to it until it got worse. This is a 06 tdi mkv with auto dsg, brm engine. Also experiencing difficulties with soot in fuel filter, likely due to faulty seal in fuel injectors under cam shaft. Once again, common problem according to mechanics and online forums on this model. There's a recall on the dmf for this model in australia, needs to have one for us.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Jan 192014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Dual mass flywheel failed catastrophically and without warning while driving on the freeway. Flywheel failure sent metal shrapnel into transmission, cracking the bell housing and the transmission to shift erratically. The car was mechanically totaled and Volkswagen of America refused to take any responsibility for the premature failure of the vehicle, despite it being a documented and known issue. Others have reported that this part was recalled in australia but not the United States. Cost of repair was beyond value of vehicle and car was deemed a total mechanical loss.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Dec 162013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Our Jetta experienced a "false neutral" problem back in December, 2013. (95,000 miles) I did some research and found that it could be due to a low voltage condition. I checked the electrical system and found the alternator to be faulty. I replaced it and kept driving the car. Everything seemed fine until mid January, 2014 when we experienced another fn event. We were able to switch the car off and then back on and the condition went away. I called our local VW dealer and scheduled an appointment for a diagnostic. The results of this test came back and they said we needed a new mechatronics unit (this controls the transmission) at a cost of $2300 I am familiar with these cars and also familiar with the fact that VW has already investigated this issue in later year cars. This investigation (NHTSA action# PE09035) resulted in a recall campaign (NHTSA# 09V333000) where VW replaced defective mechatronics units and extended the warranty on the affected units to 10yrs/100,000 miles. Less than 24 hours after receiving this diagnosis, the transmission completely locked up while driving down the road, luckily it was at an intersection and the speed was less than 15mph. I had the car towed back to the VW dealer, the transmission must now be replaced ($6,000) I content that this is the same or nearly the same issue addressed in the previous campaign and that VW did not find the root cause of the mechatronics and subsequent transmission failure. A new investigation needs to be opened to address this problem, it is a safety issue which has already been addressed for some of their vehicles. VW needs to be made to address it for all dsg equipped vehicles, especially ones manufactured before the previously investigated lot. I contacted vwoa and even though my vehicle is still within the mileage range of the warranty extension they will not offer any assistance in the repairs.

- Wilmer, AL, USA

Jan 182014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Been to multiple dealerships claiming in fox valley il rockford il glenview il that either my mechunit is bad/faulty or dual mass flywheel is bad/faulty. Was driving where either my car would shift very rough as if someone who is very inexperienced would let go of the clutch late and shift hard/rough into 1-2-3 with clicking noises. Car just recently shifted from 2 to neutral and scared the crapout of me. The car has extreme vibration and uncontrolled shift patterns. Was turning onto my street and car went from 3-2 to neutral while my car was still in drive and went into a snow bank on side of road. Would just like to have Volkswagen contact me to either replace or fix this problem. This is very dangerous owners of a 2006 VW tdi or any automatic with dsg mechunit beware and please be careful.

- Genoa , IL, USA

Jan 062014

Jetta 4-cyl

Traveling along at 55 mph and the gear display started flashing/blinking as the car just shut off. It would not restart. Battery is fine.

- De Pere, WI, USA

Feb 022011

Jetta

I am the owner of a 2006 VW Jetta tdi sedan. I purchased the vehicle used in a private sale in 2009. By 2011 I was having numerous problems with the vehicle. The dual mass flywheel failed just after I had my car at the dealership for the timing belt service (approximate mileage 106,000). I had to have it towed (at my expense) to the dealership since it wasn't safe to drive the 130 miles. Dealership said it was a known problem but Volkswagen of America has not offered any assistance. Apparently someone has to die to get their attention. Approximate cost of repairs: $1,800. 2nd big problem is electrical. Wiring harness in the driver door failed soon after I purchased it. It started with the driver window switch not working. Then the lock/unlock button quit working. Then the interior/exterior safety lights. I have heard that it will progress to the trunk lid, the other windows, the fuel door, ect. Once again an extremely common problem due to a poor design. Once again Volkswagen of America has refused to offer assistance - the dealership quoted me just under $500 in parts and labor. Why would a harness cost $205!!! third problem is cosmetic issues. The paint is flaking off especially near the seams and at the wheel wheels. Rust formed where the paint bubbled up at two of the four wheel wheels. There is a service bulletin for paint problems in the generation before this vehicle and a 10-12 year corrosion warranty that VW refuses to honor. Additionally, problems with poor manufacturing practices and materials abound in this vehicle. The headliner pulls away from the pillars at the seams in the rear due to defective materials. It will separate from the roof and become a hanging visibility hazard. The plastic dash pieces don't fit together - shrinking and pulling away at the seams. Stereo buttons (as well as door switches) bubble and flake off.

- Huron, SD, USA

Aug 042008

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Volkswagon has a problem with a faulty dual mass flywheels, the springs break inside the flywheel you hear a rattle when the car is at idle and the goes away when in gear.from reading about this problem I finally foud out what this noise is.I have asked the service tech to see if anything is loose and they always come up empty.I finally read about this on the VW tdi forums online.they said VW recalled this problem in austrailia but not in the United States.I have called VW customer line but all the tell me is we have not issued a recall on this problem so they can't help me.one of the springs already broke a hole in the cover for the transmission. I hope you can help!

- Beacon Falls, CT, USA

Jul 302013

Jetta 5-cyl

#1 July 262013 Jetta sedan 2.5L automatic transmission 87,850 miles a D V E R T I S E M E N T S I recently purchased a used 2006 VW Jetta with a dsg transmission and 2.5 L motor. The vehicle lurches and loses power as if gas had been switched off or the transmission has bogged down and seems to occur when shifting. It also happens from a dead stop, with the vehicle lurching forward with considerable force when the transmission engages. This has occurred on both very hot days, 100+ degrees, and also during evening and nighttime while driving on surface streets and on the interstate though on the interstate it doesn't lurch forward when power is restored. The vehicle usually regains power 3-5 seconds after loss of power most times this occurs but there were a few times the vehicle stalled. Once this happens this condition continues to occur more with increasing frequency until the vehicle is not drivable. Once the vehicle has cooled off for a period of time, 2 or more hours, it drives with out this problem for the same amount of time, or less, as when driven from a cold start. This has also occurred while passing and forced me to cancel my pass of a slower moving vehicle and merge into the traffic which on one occasion had closed ranks leaving me no room to merge. I have only been driving this vehicle for about a week. This statement was posted around 8-5-2013. The problem is still the same.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Jul 112013

Jetta 5-cyl

In the morning I went to start my car and I shifted it into reverse and there was a loud noise. I then went to drive it and the transmission would not shift out of third gear.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Apr 172013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The dsg clutch on the 2006 VW Jetta tdi lost structural integrity and came apart completely while driving, destroying the automatic clutch and potentially the transmission. The springs are so damaged that they were ejected from the casing onto the engine protection matt underneath the vehicle. There is extensive damage to the clutch which will need to be replaced completely and potential transmission damage.

- Hanover, MD, USA

Dec 302012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

My wife and I were driving home and suddenly my car started jerking and made a "knocking" sound, without any warning (I.e. check engine light). We were close to home and decided to continue on; however, in the next couple of miles, the problems persisted, still with no check engine light or any indication of what was wrong with the vehicle. Over the next several days, while parked on a secured premise, I started the car up and it had an erratic loping sound. I proceeded to call a nearby Volkswagen dealer and spoke to two certified VW mechanics, who failed to acknowledge the issue that there was no warning indication before the car started to act up and said to bring it in to swap out the engine at approx. $7500; they dismissed the problem as "normal wear and tear". I researched the problem on the internet and it lead me to believe that it was a problem with the cam, which I had confirmed by an auto-mechanic after towing the car in. He told me the entire engine was warped due to the cam going out. Other 2006 VW Jetta tdi owners have commented on the same issues, which at this point leads me to believe that it is not "normal wear and tear", but a manufacture defect.

- Fallbrook, CA, USA

Dec 312012

Jetta

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated while driving 70 mph the transmission disengaged and the vehicle would not accelerate. The transmission position lights were illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. A dealer was notified of the symptoms and stated they knew the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 146,000.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Dec 152012

Jetta

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that the clutch failed and the contact was unable to shift gears. The vehicle was shut off and towed to a private mechanic, where it was determined that the driveshaft failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 09V164000 (power train:driveline:driveshaft). The failure mileage was 127,000.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Nov 142012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

While traveling on interstate 4 at 65 mph the automatic transmission went from drive to second gear by itself even though the gear selector was in drive, nearly putting me through the windshield had I not had my seat belt on. I managed to get onto the burm of the highway and stop. At this point transmission fluid was dumping all over the road and the car would no longer move and the digital gear selection light was flashing on and off continuous(prnd). Had it towed to my VW mechanic and they found that the electronic valve assembly had quit working and that the mech tronic clutch assembly was destroyed by it going from drive to 2nd. After researching on the internet, I found that VW has known about this problem and has sent out letters to customers that have 2007-2010 vehicles with this same transmission that they would replace their defective transmissions under an extended warranty or re-imburse them for repairs if done prior to this letter up to 100000 miles. I contacted VW usa and asked about my car and was told because my car was a 2006 it wasn't covered even though I got them to admit that it was the same transmission that was used for 2005.5 through 2010.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Oct 122011

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I was on a freeway that was merging with another freeway, and the gear lights started flashing, the transmission quit, and I couldn't accelerate to get out of other vehicles way. I was doing 10 mph, and I had to cross two lanes of traffic doing 65 mph. Nowhere to go but that. I was so scared and was really lucky that no one hit me, although they did have to hit their brakes hard and swerve to avoid me. This is something I've seen on different forums now, and everyone says it is a mechatronic unit gone bad.

- Dallas, WI, USA

Oct 112012

Jetta

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated while driving 30 mph, the transmission failed. The contact stated he heard a loud noise underneath the engine. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop for inspection where the mechanic stated the dual mass fly-wheel and transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Towson, MD, USA

Jul 302012

Jetta

I was sitting in traffic in minneapolis mn. The light turned green, traffic moved and when I pressed on the accelerator, the engine sped up as if it was in neutral. The shift selector was in D for drive. The prndl indicator on the dash flashed red with all five letters illuminated. I tried turning off the ignition and turning it back on with the same results. No movement with engine accelerating. After being pushed into a parking lot by passersby, I tried again and the transmission worked as it was supposed to. After researching the problem on the internet, I find that it is a common VW problem and the NHTSA action number is PE09035 opened July 17, 2009 covering 2008 and 2009 models. My tdi is a 2006 model purchased in May 2007 because VW kept selling 2006 tdis in 2007. There were no 2007 VW Jetta tdis.

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Jan 022006

Jetta 4-cyl

Recurring dsg transmission problems: First reported to VW in January of 2006 with failure to downshift at 22K miles (no problem found/no codes).in 2010 reported loss of power and or shifting in and out of gear during high ambient temperature. In June of 2012; from parking, delayed shifting into reverse or drive and then violently engaging. On return from Arizona, again high temp, for approximately 100 -150 miles would lose power to wheels and then would return to normal repeatedly. VW will not cover 2006 Jetta under dsg recall (I believe there are two recalls). Cost of new dsg transmission quoted at $7000!

- Rancho Dominguez, CA, USA