2014 Audi A4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Audi A4:

2014 Audi A4 Owner Comments

Jan 012019

A4

This vehicle is needing a quart of oil every 300-400 miles. It's a 6 year old car, there is something seriously wrong with Audi engine design. A quart of oil every 300-400 miles is completely unacceptable. Since day 1 this vehicle has had an oil consumption problem now at 75K miles and the problem just continues to get worse.

- Gardena, CA, USA

Aug 082020

A4

I took my car to the Audi service center and they expressed to me that my engine coolant pump was not working and that it had to be replaced. However, they did not tell me it was apart of a recall. Had I known this, I feel as though I should not have been charged approximately $2,300 to get it fixed when it was recalled from something out of my control.

- White Plains, NY, USA

Jun 012020

A4 4-cyl

My car started burning oil much more frequently after it hit 120K miles. The light would come on to add a quart of oil every 1500 miles. The car now has 145K miles on it and the oil light comes on after 500-600 miles, which seems much too frequent. The car is only 6 years old and I would expect it to last another 50K miles but I'm concerned that there's something wrong with the engine that's causing it to burn so much oil so quickly.

- Cortlandt Manor, NY, USA

Jun 082020

A4 4-cyl

I was never notified of a recall and now my engine is bad.

- Pierre Part, LA, USA

Sep 152019

A4

This is the 4th time I will have to replace my gas pump and /or my 3rd engine in my 2014 Audi A4. My epc light turns on then my car violently shakes and then it cuts off. This has happened while crossing an intersection, driving in the gas station parking lot, at a parking lot after leaving a friends home and at my home. I have reported this to Audi usa, las vegas Audi and the finance company. Today it happened 1 year and 1 day after it happened last. I parked at the store ran in and came out turned on the car and the epc light came on. I have spent thousands of dollars on repairs, car rentals, rideshares and replacement parts for the same thing over and over. I am not sure what recourse I have but I need assistance. The 1st time Audi replaced the engine and 7 months later it happened again so they replaced the gas pump, 1 year later the same thing happened and they wanted me to pay for another gas pump because the warranty ended. Then its been repaired twice by another mechanic for the exact same thing.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 262019

A4

4 year old car 3 months past 4 year extended warranty and major oil leak, which if not repaired can negatively impact engine. Both valve cover gaskets and timing chain cover gaskets are leaking. When asked service consultant at Audi how often this happens, he said in 15-20% of cars by 50,000 miles (I have 46,000 +). this is a manufacturing flaw and should be made part of a recall. I am paying over $2000 for this repair after a 10% discount with a dealership "coupon". this is clearly a manufacturing defect of these parts and it is inexcusable that Audi pass this defect and the costs on to 15-20% of customers after approximately 4 years of ownership and comprehensive maintenance. The service person told me there was nothing I could do to have prevented this from occurring. I think the ntsb can alert Audi to the. Fact this is a defect in the cars they are selling, causing unnecessary costs and burdens and possible engine hazards to consumers.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 052019

A4

The contact owned a 2014 Audi A4. While the vehicle was parked with the ignition off, the contact's neighbor alerted him of smoke coming from the vehicle. The contact grabbed the fire extinguisher and opened the front door where he noticed the vehicle was in flames. There were no injuries or property damage. The fire department extinguished the fire and a report was filed. The police were contacted and they also filed a report. The vehicle was destroyed and towed by the contact's insurance company for investigation. Audi natick (549 worcester St, natick, MA 01760, (508) 651-0388) and the manufacturer were notified. The manufacturer provided case number: 190350385. The failure mileage was 52,000. The VIN was invalid.

- Concord, MA, USA

Aug 312018

A4

The contact owns a 2014 Audi A4. While driving, the engine and oil pressure indicators illuminated. The vehicle was pulled over and the contact called his mechanic to come and inspect the vehicle. The mechanic noticed that the vehicle's coolant pump was extremely hot, which could cause the vehicle to catch on fire and explode. The vehicle was towed to the mechanic's shop and then to Audi. The contact informed the dealer (Audi shrewsbury, 780 boston turnpike, shrewsbury, MA 01545, (508) 581-5800) of NHTSA campaign number: 18V229000 (engine and engine cooling), which had not been found during a previous visit. The contact refused to pay for a diagnostic test. The contact emailed the dealer's general manager, but did not receive a response. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 25,392.

- Marlboro, MA, USA

May 142018

A4

Takata recall purchase a 2014 Audi A4 from a local dealership. After a month due to a over heat the enginee blow up. Insurance was not able to take the claim since it wasnt due to coallition, and oil was clean. Mechanic wasnt even sure what happen. I just received a recall notice, now im dealing with a debt of 10000. Neither dealer, mechanic or insurace mentioned anything on recalls.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Sep 032018

A4

2.0T engine burned 1qt of engine oil every 800-900 miles. This cause a lot of bro lemme by adding oil and environmental.

- Seatac, WA, USA

Coolant pump overheating

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 012017

A4

The water/coolant pump has failed 3 times in the past 12 months leaving the vehicle disabled on the side of the road after overheating. Each time, it is the same issue where the way this pump was cast has an internal failure that causes the connection port to radiator tubing to pull apart and the gasket overheats and fails. Audi certified dealer service have told me it is an engineering flaw which Audi fails to recognize and redesign for a recall despite seeing countless other A4's with the same complaint from this body style year. Each time, vehicle is running on a highway. This first happened in 2017 at 52,000 miles and most recently happened August 13,2018 at 84000 miles. The second event happened May 2018 with 69000 miles

- Potsdam, NY, USA

Jun 012018

A4

2014 Audi A4. Consumer writes in regards to after run coolant pump. The consumer stated the lack of availability of the replacement coolant pump was unacceptable.

- Pawling, NY, USA

Jul 182018

A4

While in motion, coolant system malfunction and overheating. Foul smell overcame my car and I had to pullover in the shoulder to wait for my car to cool down. Recall 18V22900 for Audi A4 2014 recall # 19N4/19N3. Audi owning mills dealership and service is claiming that is not the problem and are charging me, when I was told by Audi customer service that I would not be charged.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

May 082018

A4

The contact owns a 2014 Audi A4. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 18V229000 (engine and engine cooling) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for repair. The dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer was contacted and confirmed that the parts were unavailable for the repair. The manufacturer further stated that they were working with NHTSA to have the parts available in November of 2018; however, there was no guarantee that the parts would be available at that time. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Apr 172018

A4

On 4/17/2018 I drove my car from saint petersburg, Florida to ruskin, fl, which is about 40 miles one way. On the way back I would say I drove about 28 miles then suddenly the car started smoking from the front & back of car. I pulled over on the highway after coming across the skyway bridge, the car cuts off. I would say 1 or 2 mins later flames were on top of the hood of the car. At that time I exit the car & waited til the fire department & state trooper come. Case number: Fhpc180ff040720. Troop: Solley 941-492-5850 german luxury automaker Audi is recalling more than a million of its vehicles due to faulty electric coolant pumps, which have the potential to overheat and start a fire. The recall affects roughly 1.2 million Audi cars and SUVS total and includes the A4 (2013 to 2016), A5 (2013 to 2017), A6 (2012 to 2015), and the 2013 to 2017 Q5 SUV, the associated press reports. (800) 822-2834 (800) 822-Audi Monday-Friday, 8am ' 9pm (est) Saturday, 10am ' 7pm (est)

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Jan 242017

A4

The contact owns a 2014 Audi A4. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle began to shake. The dealer determined that the pistons in the engine lost compression and the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA