ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2011 Buick LaCrosse engine problems: engine light comes on

Engine Light Comes On

2011 Buick LaCrosse

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Buick dealer.

8.0

$6,580

2. replaced engine, battery, relay (1 reports)
2011 Buick LaCrosse engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Buick LaCrosse:

2011 Buick LaCrosse Owner Comments

Nov 302016

LaCrosse CXL V6

engine light came on car stalled would not restart

Driving home from work at 4 pm on 11/30/16 engine light came on, next thing car stalled driving down interstate 380 at 70 mph. Coasted to shoulder barely off hwy. Tried to restart car it would not. Called tow truck, waited an hour, took car to dealership where I bought it BRAND new on 3/11. Service called me next day to tell me I needed a battery before they could run any diagnostics. Before the car died battery was fine. Service called me later to tell me connecting rod went through engine block, need new motor, motor is a 3.6 V6. No choice I do not want another car pymt, still have until 3/17 to pay off. Ordered engine, 12/09 my car was ready also told they had to replace some sort of relay. Total cost $6,577.45 included was a $10.00 shop charge. Not at all happy with GM/Buick. Called customer service for any kind of reimbursement 1-866-790-5600, got nowhere. 100,000/5 yr warranty ran out 3/16, extended 60,000 mile warranty I bought ran out 7/16. The rod went through top of engine, did not lose a drop of oil or water. Spoke to another mechanic (not GM) he seemed to think it was the timing chain that broke. No way to tell now. Anyone I talk to who knows something about cars say no way should a connecting rod have broke. I have owned Chevys & Pontiacs cars, and GMC pickups since 1984. This was my first Buick, bought it because I liked the new look, and Buick is supposed to be such a good car. Guess what first & last Buick I buy, and no more GM vehicles in this house.

- blee, Spring Brook Twp, PA, USA

Aug 242016

LaCrosse CXL 3.2lV6

Why would engine light come on when car has only 22000 miles??????? Why can't it be fixed!!!!! I am a long!!!!!!! time buick owner so I expect this to be fixable!!!!!! I won't have another Buick if this is not fixable!!!!!!! I rave about my buicks so I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

- Judy M., Nesbit, MS, USA

Aug 202016

LaCrosse CXS 3.4L

Hi,

I owner a 2011 Buick LaCrosses CXS and Saturday, (8/20/2016) while driving on a level road surface, a message flash on my dash but I did not have enough time to read it. Shortly thereafter my engine light came on and the vehicle started to lose power. There was a slight burn smell. I attempted to change lanes to the right in an effort to pull over to the side but before I could complete, the light went out and full power seems to be restored.

Today, 8/22/2016, I planned to take the vehicle in to the dealership to have it checked out. Is there any advice and/or suggestion that you the manufacture can offer at this time?

Thanks,

N. Omar Smith

Update from Aug 26, 2016: Okay, after the dealer check the vehicle they conclude that the fuel injectors (1, 3, & 5) needs to be change. I am out approx. $1,200.00. GM needs to address this issue. I don’t think that my injectors were the problem, but I am at the mercy of the dealership!

- t54vs26, Houston, TX, USA

Nov 122012

LaCrosse CXL

My LaCrosse CXL engine has aluminum block with cast iron heads; two metals that cool at different rates allowing coolant to leak into cylinders causing carbon buildup on a 'cold' start. GM knows of this problem; first discovered in the Enclave. Engine no longer in it, but they continued to put it in the LaCrosse...to use up inventory??

OnStar identified the problem of a 'cylinder missfire' when a diagnosis was requested while driving and the light wouldn't go out. Three visits in two weeks for this problem; the engine can't be fixed and GM knows it !

The engine can't be switched out because of the computers; they identify with a particular vehicle and its pieces and parts.

Force the issue with the Service Manager; have GM provide a solution.

- anniemilton51pa, Dawson, PA, USA

Apr 092012

LaCrosse Chrome

Engine light comes on. Go to dealer they put it on the computer, they order a fuel part. Light comes on again only hours after repair. Picked car up from service shop did a few errands parked for the evening. next day drove the car check engine light on again.

- andreanc, Cairo, GA, USA

Apr 092012

LaCrosse Chrome

Check engine light appeared only after 1800 miles. Dealer replaced fuel module. It worked for maybe a day. The check engine light appeared again.

- andreanc, Cairo, GA, USA