8.3

$1,250

1. replace TIPM (24 reports)
2010 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country:

2010 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 022018

Town & Country Touring 4L

Constant problems with lights, doors, engine not turning over, windows rolling down when you lock the car, key sensitivity, locked the car and it opened the side sliding door which stayed open all night etc,etc,etc

- Shirley M., Jacksonville, US

Feb 272018

Town & Country Touring 3.8L

For a couple of months now the vehicle would not start on the first try. Turn the key and engine would turn over but not start. Sometimes it would start on the second try, other times it would take several toys to start. With the warranty running out shortly I started doing research into starting problems on the Chrysler T&C. Found several possible causes but the TIPM was the most likely. Sure enough the morning I was going to take it to the dealer the darn thing wouldn't start and kept cranking away. Turned off the key BUT IT WOULDN'T STOP CRANKING. Had to disconnect the battery. Reconnected the battery Started right up.

Took it to the dealer with a list of other things to have done, oil change, filter change etc, and explained to the service writer what had been happening since the last visit to the dealer for service. I mentioned the possibility of the TIPM and he said, we'll look at that first. Replacement is being covered by extended warranty.

- Wayne A., Sun City West, AZ, US

Feb 052018

Town & Country Limited 4.0L V6

Driving vehicle to work when whole dashboard lit up, then everything turned off and car stalled in early morning darkness on way to work. Able to turn off main street and get to a curb on a side street while coasting. Because everything shut down including four ways that would not work, my wife who was driving could have been stranded on a main road and been less visible to approaching vehicles.

Noticed smell which was burning connectors/wiring increasing repair costs.

From checking internet this is a know issue with 2007-2015 Chryslers, and there are limited settlements to specific models/years, but this does not cover the Town & Country.

- Lawrence V., Berkley, US

Aug 052017

Town & Country Touring

I purchased this car two years ago with a limited mile warranty. A month later the ignition module went, we are constantly taking the car to have brakes front and back and rotors repaired every month on the vehicle. We were given a false carfax report as well.

If that wasn't enough there was a faulty spark plug which cost me 800.00 to remove the head gasket to replace the plugs that were never replaced and had dry rotted. This occurred in July of 2017 after I spent 3k in rental cars to get to and from work. On 8/4/2017 the thermostat blew which cost 200.00 to repair now the catalyct converter is gone and on 8/5/2017 the car was acting possessed. I came outside side to start the vehicle and noticed the windshield wipers were going off and the car smelt as if it were burning. They keys were not in the vehicle.

I need help I have a family size of 6 with small children that ride in this unsafe vehicle every day. It is our only means of transportation to and from work and additionally I pay a monthly car payment of $410.00 not including insurance.

- Kai S., Newark, DE, US

Jul 222017

Town & Country LX 3.# V6

This problem actually started about 2 weeks prior with my horn going off on its own. I went to drive it on 22 July 2017 at night and the lights never came on. The dealer wants about $1200. to replace/repair the TIPM. Thieves. Luckily I have a friend who is a pretty good mechanic. What REALLY ticks me off is I could be driving down the road and the van dies!!! Maybe me too!! It seems like there are an awful lot of problems with this issue!! Again, typical Car manufacture BS by denying there is a serious problem until people start getting injured or killed!!

- Michael T., Navarre, US

Apr 182015

Town & Country

My Town and Country shuts off in middle of it's stride without warning.

- cabbell5, Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

May 072017

Town & Country Limited

For a long time - since before last winter - my van would sputter and not run quite right at about 35-40 mph. If I accelerated, it seemed to go away. I didn't think a whole lot of it. A mechanic told me as long as there wasn't a light on, there wasn't much they could do to diagnose it.

Then on Sunday, May 7, as I was about a block from my house, the vehicle died. I didn't know what it was at first, as the first thing I noticed was I lost my power steering, then my brakes. Then I realized the engine had stopped. It started right back up again. On Monday, while traveling home from work on the interstate, I was going down an onramp and the engine again quit running. This time, I was in heavy traffic. I lost power steering and brakes but was able to get the van pulled off the side of the road. It started again immediately, but I drove home white-knuckled not knowing when it would die again, and drove in the right lane the entire way for fear that if it quit again and I was in the heavier traveled lanes, I would be struck.

I took it to my mechanic today who broke the news to me that it was the TIPM and the cost would exceed $1,300 to fix it. After reading an article that my mechanic sent me, I see that I am not the only one with this problem, and I am FURIOUS that there is no recall on the TIPM. This could have caused a serious crash resulting in injury or death. I have no warranty that covers this, so the cost is out of my own pocket. I will think twice before ever purchasing another Chrysler product.

- Laurie B., Urbandale, IA, US

Apr 212017

Town & Country LX 3.3L

With as much information out there about defective TIPMs in so many Chrysler products, it's hard to imagine there hasn't been a recall. I lost my wipers and power locks, so the pain I've endured is negligable, just annoying and a waste of time and fuses, not to mention the $1100 repair bill I'm faced with. If I'm willing to park it when it rains/snows, keep it clear of any valuable items and not park it in the city, I can ignore the repair... just the kind of quality product Chrysler wants to have out there on the road, eh? I see a Saturday Night Live skit in the future about great cars that can't be driven in the rain or snow, parked or locked... instant classic!

- Andrew M., Centennial, CO, US

Oct 312016

Town & Country

Car wouldn't start. It was random so they didn't know what was causing it. The first time it happened was the night I bought the car in OCTOBER. Now In MARCH they figure it out. Of course past the time I could get a refund for the car...

- Makyla H., Tucson, AZ, US

Aug 122016

Town & Country 4.0L

I bought this car in 3/2016, 2 weeks later it cut off on me while waiting at a stop light on a very busy 4 lane hwy. Had it towed to car lot, they couldnt find anything wrong. Happened 1 month later,the dealer replaced the starter. Happened again 2 weeks ago, was away from home the mechanic at the garage hooked it up to computer, said it was a throttle problem, he cleared the code. Took it to a Chrysler dealership last week, they are saying the TIPM is bad. $1200 to replace. I bought this vehicle, with plans for the family to take trips in comfort, now I am afraid to leave home with it. I do not have the money to fix it, Chrysler knows there is a problem, are they waiting for the car to cut off on a busy hwy and cause someone to crash into me, possible causing death to them or/and me. Own up to your lousy work, I have never owned a Chrysler before, always Honda or Toyota, never a problem, especially one as dangerous as this one can be. I am able to drive the car today, never know when it will cut off. Would they feel comfortable driving a car like this. I DO NOT THINK SO. I need help before it is too late.The WIN Module was replace 10/2015, this did not fix the problem.

- Sandra S., Little River, SC, USA

Sep 002015

Town & Country LX 3.8L V6

The Van started to stutter on acceleration at moderate speeds and will only due it on a trip of over a hundred miles or so... Can not afford a $1000 to $1200 charge for a new TIPM installation on SSI income..

- Dwight L., Benton Harbor, MI, USA

Mar 252013

Town & Country Limited 3.8L

Soon after purchasing the minivan, the headlights began to cut out intermittently. At first, it was only during the summer when the weather was very warm and humid. In addition, we found that if we started the minivan and lights worked they would stay on throughout our drive but that soon changed...the lights cut out on us one night after driving for about a half an hour. This was extremely dangerous because we were on the highway and it was very dark. We tried to bring this issue up to our dealership and they claimed that our car did not have this problem. Now, our minivan lights do not work at all...they flicker or flash three times like they are trying to come on but never actually turn on.

- Shawn L., Petersham, MA, USA

Sep 052016

Town & Country Touring 3.8L

Our car is a 2010 Chrysler Town and Country van. The exterior lights would suddenly go out. The first couple of times this happened we ignored it (yeah, stupid, but we were hoping it would magically fix itself). Then the lights went out at night--no longer could this be ignored. Of course this happened right before we were to drive from the Midwest to the East Coast. Not enough time to get it seen at a dealership before we were to leave, we had to drive our other car WHICH SOOO DID NOT MAKE ME HAPPY!

Upon return and getting car to dealership we have been informed that we need to replace the TIPM costing about $1275.

My huge frustration is reading about faulty TIPMs on a variety of Chrysler vehicles. The reports are HORRIFIC-cars just quitting; families in car on dark winding roads and NO LIGHTS; doors and window quitting; horns blaring; wipers going crazy; terrified parents and children.

Hey Chrysler, what is it going to take for you to assume responsibility for your defective equipment??--FAMILIES DYING???? Didn't Ford play the same game with faulty fuel tank designs?? Why no recall on these ill designed TIPMs? Why is the consumer (many of whom WERE loyal Chrysler customers) being screwed? SO NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!

- mdodds, Alton, IL, US

Oct 012016

Town & Country Limited 2.8L

This vehicle had a new tipm on 24/11/2015 and is covered under the warranty, I have asked for a replacement as the vehicle electrics doors tail gate dash lights, speedometer or satellite/ navigation don't work when the vehicle is left over night. Once the vehicle has been driven for several miles the door locks lock the light on the dash go off ABS, EBS, PARKING LIGHT AND ENGINE MALFUNCTION LIGHT. the doors and tail buttons work again. And the sat works. It's acts like it's possessed. In dealers now so I'll update you once I have the vehicle back.

- Scott M., Liverpool, UK

Oct 132016

Town & Country Stow And Go 3.2L V6

I bought this van used. It has been in the shop for the TIPM issues since I signed the paper work. But the dealer nailed me with a new battery for a $130. out the door, 3 diagnostic test at $65. a piece, and now they want to charge me $1250. to replace the TIPM (totally integrated power module). So I think that they should be responsible for this repair, seeing that Chrysler has already had too many recalls on the product.

- button_robyn, Cottonwood, AZ, USA

Jun 242016

Town & Country LX 3.6L V6

TIPM died and left me stuck at home with no way to get to work. Got a rental car on my own. Towed vehicle to the dealership where I was told it would be several days (dropped off on Friday morning) before they could examine it. Got a call Monday afternoon and informed of problem, cost and not covered by ANY Warranty. Also told by the Service Writer that it was going to be 3 weeks to get the part as it was back ordered.

So my car is in the shop for 3 weeks, I'm paying for a rental car for that period, plus the regular car payment, plus the pleasure of paying $1350 for a KNOWN ELECTRICAL ISSUE!!

Called Chrysler and they opened a case 29581881 and were able to expedite parts delivery, so now the part will be on site in 2 days (that will save me on the rental), but they offered nothing for the rental cost (they could have provided a "lot" car for free but didn't), didn't knock anything off of this really expensive part or the labor to replace it.

So basically, the manufacturer KNEW of the issue, offered nothing to compensate me or make me feel any better about my purchasing decision of their product, and essentially said "suck it up and deal with it!"

I AM ABSOLUTELY LIVID!! If any other company did this, they would be mandated to compensate their customers in some fashion.

This is the kind of customer care that drives your potentially repeat customers into the arms of your competition. This is the last Chrysler product I will buy and I will do my best to tell everyone I know how much this company cares about repeat customers and overall customer satisfaction.

- Stephen N., Newnan, GA, USA

May 132016

Town & Country 4.0L

Have had three separate incidents that lead me to believe the TIPM is faulty. I've had two incidents where the vehicle engine shuts off while driving. Each time I just put the trans in N, turned the ignition, and continued driving.

One incident where the TPM system light came on, then an error message stating "Check TPM System" came on, followed by the PSI readings for each tire changed from 38 to -- one by one... then just as quick, everything went back to normal.

Yesterday had an incident where, after driving around all day, I shut the car off then almost immediately tried to start it only to have the classic "click, click, click". After a couple attempts of turning ignition back and forth, I got a jump and then the engine started without issue. After the jump I shut the car off and it started right up.

Update from Jun 6, 2016: Two days ago I recorded my instrument cluster while the car was under cruise control because I noticed the tach fluctuating and almost stall out (which I will show to the service manager) and I had another incident yesterday of the engine shutting off while driving around a parking lot.

Update from Jun 14, 2016: Took the van into the dealer, informed them of the symptoms, and the fact that I've read about the TIPM sometimes being the culprit only to have the service manager tell me "I've never heard of those going bad but we'll get to the bottom of it.".

Two days later they call to tell me they've replaced the crank sensor, did a fuel injector clean, and changed the air cleaner and feel confident they've fixed the problem ($235). A day later while driving I noticed that distinctive engine hesitation and watched the tach drop down to nearly zero. It hasn't stalled yet but I believe its just a matter of time based on how the engine is running.

So I've decided, based on numerous blogs from similar owners, that I need to verify if it is, in fact, an issue with the TIPM myself so I ordered a TIPM Test Cable from Jason Bell @ VerticalVisions.com. I will update with my findings.

- Jack P., Livonia, MI, USA

Feb 162016

Town & Country Touring 3.8L

This might be an premature complain but I hate that this is happening to me. I am a mother of 4 and I need my van!!! I don't have heat and now I am not sure when my van will turn on. I will not drive it around even if it does start because I am running the risk of being stuck somewhere with a malfunction TIPM that controls the fluid pump, starter switch and heating system. I have to park it outside of my house in fear that it will set on fire because something might malfunction and turn itself on. I have not been to the dealer yet but I heard this part is on back order for months! This cant be happening to me!!!

- lindseyhop, Bothell, WA, USA

Dec 222015

Town & Country Touring 3.8L V6

We had the car towed because it would not start. The local shop indicated that it was the fuel pump. He replaced the pump and the vehicle started and I picked it up from the shop and drove it home. Once we had the vehicle at home it stopped starting two days later and I had to get the vehicle towed back to the shop where we had the work done. We are still waiting for the vehicle to be diagnosed and returned to us.

Update from Jan 7, 2016: After a lot of frustration of to and from the shop, They finally diagnosed that it was a defective TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module) I looked this up in the internet and discovered that this is a major defect in the Chrysler Town and Country. Chrysler should really recall this part. We spent nearly $2000 diagnosing the problem just to find out that the part costs around $850 and installation was around $95.

Chrysler should stand behind their product and get this fixed.

- negm, Boca Raton, FL, USA

Dec 292015

Town & Country Touring 3.8L V6

After replacing the Battery and Fuel Pump. The shop said that we had to replace the TIPM. When he said that I started researching the issue online. The TIPM was recalled in the Dodge Minivans and Chrysler. Apparently the auto maker has recalled some years and vehicles but to the TIPM in the 2010 Chysler Town&Country. I wonder if the fuel pump is really bad. My shop knows a mechanic the local dodge/chrysler dealer and was told that they replace the TIPM, fuel harness and fuel pumps frequently. I wish they would recall this part. I spent over nearly $2000 that I really don't have to keep our van running.

- negm, Boca Raton, FL, USA