8.9

$1,750

2. replace power steering gear assembly (5 reports)
  3. replace steering rack (3 reports)
  4. dealership updated calibrations on pcm (1 reports)
  5. replace steering angle sensor (1 reports)
  6. replacement of broken throttle body (1 reports)
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid:

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid Owner Comments

Mar 072020

Fusion Hybrid Hybrid 2.4L

click to see larger images

power steering totally went out

I was on the Freeway with passengers in the car going around a sharp right turn to to get on another when the steering went out and the car wanted to steer straight. I had to struggle to steer and finish the trip without my passengers knowing. They felt the sudden swerves, heard the beeping and saw the notification lights flashing. It was extremely scary but I stayed calm and got it done! This is unacceptable that the 2010 is not recalled when it has the same defect as the recalled years.

- Gregory T., Sterling Heights, MI, US

Jan 232017

Fusion Hybrid 4

I can't believe they won't recall the on the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid Power steering. I have had it go out on me 4 times now with in a two year span. The light comes on and then it just stops and as a woman with a previous arm injury, I have zero ability to steer. I am constantly in fear and am now considering BK if I don't get help. To make things worse Ford claims they have fixed this for me. The first time this occurred I had a extended factory warranty. They claim to have fixed it 1/23/17. Only to have it go out AGAIN a within the two year window and the would NOT fix it again!!!! Please someone help!!! Advice!!! What recourse do I have?

- Doreen D., Las Vegas, US

Sep 122018

Fusion Hybrid

Power steering went out while driving! This was beyond scary!!!!! Worse than having a tire blow out! Then I find out that there is a recall on the 2011 but not the 2010.

- Kim S., Peyton, CO, US

Jan 022018

Fusion Hybrid 4DR Sedan FWD CVT0 2.5L Gas/Electric Hybrid

I BOUGHT MY 16 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER A 2010 FORD FUSION AS I BELIEVED IT WAS A FAIRLY SAFE VEHICLE FOR A BEGINNER. WHILE DRIVING ON THE TURNPIKE HER POWER STEERING WENT OUT FOR NO APPARENT REASON. STEERING BECAME EXTREMELY DIFFICULT AND SHE HAD TO PULL OVER. THANKFULLY THERE WERE NO OTHER VEHICLES NEAR HER NOR WAS SHE DRIVING AT A HIGH RATE OF SPEED.

WE HAD TO HAVE THE VEHICLE TOWED AND HAD A MECHANIC LOOK AT IT. HE RAN A FULL DIAGNOSTIC TEST, RESET ALL SETTINGS AND POWER STEERING FINALLY WORKED AGAIN. SINCE THEN, POWER STEERING WENT OUT ON TWO MORE OCCASIONS WHILE DRIVING. I NO LONGER LET MY DAUGHTER DRIVE THE VEHICLE AND OBVIOUSLY CAN'T SELL IT EITHER.

- dcc0912, Fort Gibson, US

Dec 222017

Fusion Hybrid 3.5L

• CVT transmission

power steering service light lit up on my way home from work friday night. Saturday morning I had no power steering. Glad it didn't completely fail during driving. Dealer says electric assist motor not working, wants $1500 to replace entire steering gear and didn't mention any recall. I will press for more information about the electric steering recall and evidence it is not related to my issue before authorizing expensive repairs!

- Happy D., Reading, PA, US

Jun 012017

• CVT transmission

I have read of numerous reports of power steering failures and apparently there have been some recalls for certain year models. Of course my year and model did not fall into any of the recalls even though I have the same power steering system.

- Keith C., Placerville, US

Jun 122017

Fusion Hybrid Hybrid

Ford has known about the Faulty Electronic Steering Assist since 2009 however they do nothing.....Cost to fix this will exceed $2550.....THIS WILL HAPPEN to your FORD.....PLEASE check out the many videos on youtube before you consider buying a Ford

- Wayne S., Kentville, NS, Canada

Mar 032017

Fusion Hybrid

Loss of power steering and a previous issue with the throttle control on a well maintained, low mileage, 7 year old car is unacceptable. I will go back to buying Japanese. Never had issue with our family Honda, Mazda, Acura, and Lexus vehicles... routine maintenance and 150,000+ miles - no problem.

- Kristine H., San Jose, CA, US

Sep 012016

Fusion Hybrid

My daughter was driving in the on a one-way street in the hills of Los Angeles when the steering completely locked. Thank God she didn't go over a cliff. A few calls into Ford Customer service yielded me to listen to SCRIPTED message from representatives apologizing and saying regrettably they are unable to assist because there is no active recall. This car has been a problem with the steering and has had wheel alignments but never stopped pulling over to the right when driving.

If you are having an issue and haven't already done so, it is important that you file a complaint online with the U.S. Department of Transportation.

I understand that there is a class action lawsuit pending and hopefully Ford will make an ethical decision to repair these vehicles before someone is killed. I'm appalled by there decision to ignore this problem. I will never ever ever buy a Ford vehicle again. I'm outraged at their neglect.

Former Faithful Ford Customer

- shameonford!, Moorpark, CA, US

Dec 142015

• CVT transmission

This problem is reoccurring. First they replaced the rack, then it went out again. Second time dealer said it just needed to be reprogrammed. It has happened again and I'm not sure what to do.

- angelowv, Martinsburg, WV, US

Jul 032016

Fusion Hybrid Hybrid Hybrid

While driving my 2010 ford fusion hybrid around 20 mph the power steering went out. Could hardly control car. Service lights for advance trac light, traction control, and service power steering all came on. Took to dealer and they updated all the computer modules and power steering worked again. costs $220.00

- Ivan B., Brownsburg, IN, US

Jul 172016

Fusion Hybrid

I was driving out of my parking lot when the steering wheel became stiff, the car would not turn. I tried turning it off and on to clear the error message since there is not apparent cause for this issue. I read online that it cost over 1K to fix and many Fords have the same issue. I don't understand how they let the 2010 cars our of the recall knowing that they use the same system. How irresponsible! people can die from this issue. I read that some cars are able to turn, I can't steer mine.

- Sandra D., Philadelphia, PA, US

Aug 252015

• CVT transmission

Driving home late evening when suddenly the power assist went from the steering and simultaneously the "Service Power Steering" yellow warning message came on, followed immediately by the red warning "AdvanceTrac system failure". Was still able to steer the car home (about 20 more miles) but the steering was very stiff. Decided to stop and restart on driveway to see if the problem might fix itself but, the warning lights were still on and the steering was completely gone.

Next morning I spoke to Ford customer service who told me there was no record of this problem and no recalls (although he admitted there were known problems on the 2011/12/13/and 2014 Fusion Hybrids) and I should take it to my dealer. After explaining that it was undriveable he did arrange (thank you) to have the car towed to my dealer.

My local Ford dealer found that it was a blown fuse for the steering system that was blown. That was replaced and the system tested OK. $111 for the diagnostic test and fuse replacement. The dealer Service Manager seemed as concerned as I was about the issue and is currently conferring with Ford and getting back to me about a solution. Too many concerns about safety to list but I'm now scared to drive the car!

- Mark H., Butler, OH, US

Mar 282015

Fusion Hybrid

Lost power steering while car was in motion. almost hit parked cars.Drove car to dealer and immediately filed a complaint with Ford motor company. Reported car was at dealer and had a case opened. Received call back from regional CS manager saying that since I had the car fixed, I have no recourse for a review.

This was not explained when I opened the case and informed them car was at the dealer but not fixed yet. Explained to manger that I have seen numerous cases where this failure was reported. She was indifferent to any facts and stated that parts fail and the customer is responsible. I do understand responsibility but to have a $2100 part go out and find that it is a very frequent problem to include an attempt at a class action suit, injuries and accidents.

I have a hard time understanding why Ford is a) not taking further action and B) some sort of remedy through Ford for this particular issue regardless of warranty.

- Steven C., Round Hill, VA, US

Nov 142014

Fusion Hybrid 1.6L

Initial Low Tire light came on then service power steering and AdvanceTrac light came on. Power steering went out hard to turn. I was told by Ford Service to drive it in and they would see if it is under power train warranty. After showing up, they said it would cost to test it and I was told it wasn't covered. Couldn't afford to get it checked and fixed. Drove it home and let it siit. There is a class action lawsuit outstanding but couldn't get in on it.

- Kenneth D., Waukegan, IL, US

Aug 022014

Fusion Hybrid

Given the amount of traffic on this safety issue, I'm surprised there hasn't been a recall or a class action suit.

- jojoeb, Elkridge, MD, US

Jan 052014

• CVT transmission

Went out while travelling to work at highway speeds, noticed a major increase in the amount of strength necessary to maneuver the vehicle. I never came to a stop, so this was not a huge issue, but after work....WOW!

After re-entering the automobile after work I near had to tear my shoulders out of the sockets in order to maneuver the vehicle out of the parking lot. I managed to make it to the dealer and pulled it in.

They had to send out two people in order to maneuver it into a shop parking slot. I went home and researched this and it appears it is a wide spread issue.

Once again had to wait for days for the throttle body, and was out of pocket for a loaner.

When I bought Toyota Camry's and Solara's I used to get 200,000 miles without anything except oil, tune-up and battery expenses.

This Ford has cost me about $5000 in repair related cost at below 83000 miles.

I'd need a great incentive to buy another Ford.

- Gary H., Orlando, FL, US