$1,000

2. new engine (1 reports)
2014 GMC Terrain engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 GMC Terrain:

2014 GMC Terrain Owner Comments

Nov 012020

Terrain SLT V6

I have maintained the vehicle with the recommended oil type, had the solinoids and timing all replaced at 72K miles (< 30 days out of warranty - blame the dealership who changes the oil for not noticing). It was just shy of 5K miles from the last oil change and the car started like it was a diesle engine and then it started dying at slow speeds.

I took it to an independent mechanic who found brown milky substance on the spark plugs and the oil was completely gone from the engine. They replaced the solinoids again, flushed the engine and put in new oil and filter. Currently at 300 miles, I have seen no oil missing but I don't want to have to check the oil every 100 miles to ensure that it isn't burning it. This is obviously a problem for many and, like them, I'm a bit miffed that I am stuck with a vehicle that I can't count on when it should have lasted me at least 250K miles before concern. My family has owned GMC products for a long time and needless to say besides me, my father and brothers are not thrilled.

- Tammy T., Lenexa, US

Mar 012020

Terrain SLT

Uses 1.5 to 2 quarts of oil every 1000 miles. Valves rattle for couple seconds on start up regardless of oil level. Bought it used at 60k, it's been doing it since I have had it. Has 90k now.

Seems there is a class action lawsuits for 2010 thru 2013 for this very problem. Seems they tried a new ring design and it isn't working. Seems only fix is a new engine. Transmission has started some strange shuddering at times.

No more GMC for me!!!!

- Tim C., Robertsdale, US

Feb 012020

Terrain SLT

Uses 1.5 to 2 quarts of oil every 1000 miles. Seems there is a class action lawsuits for 2010 thru 2013 vehicles but not the 2014 which is doing the exact same thing.

- Tim C., Robertsdale, US