ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

9.4

$9,170

1. needs new or rebuilt engine (6 reports)
2006 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Hyundai Sonata:

2006 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Dec 122017

Sonata LX 2.4L

Do not bother to buy a Hyundai Sonata. The company does not care and will do nothing to help you with this problem. I do not have 3,800 in the bank to be able to spend to fix this problem. There are more then enough complaints about this happening over and over to many people.

I was driving down the highway. All of the sudden I start losing acceleration, steering locks up and l am lucky to be able to get off of the highway to a safe location. I spent 125 dollars to be towed to a repair shop only to be told that this is a rod knock. There are more then enough complaints about this happening to several people and the dealership does not give a damn.

I am lucky that I was not killed.

Update from Dec 13, 2017: Hyundai has known that this is a problem with there engines and yet they do nothing. USAA told me today that they will not help with this. I have filed complaints with Hyundai, the Better Business Bureau, contacted a lawyer to be part of a class action lawsuit and contacted North Carolina DOJ.

I would normally not be having such a fit about this but Hyundai knew about their defective engine and are risking peoples lives. That does not sit well with me at all. They knew about this and they need to take responsibility for there inability to take responsibility for a defective engine.

My mechanic told me that it is a rod knock in the engine that caused it to seize. I had oil in my car. I have maintenance done on it routinely and I am more then pissed about this.

- Author Julie J., Cary, NC, US

Aug 052016

Sonata LX 3.3L V6

I bought recently a 2006 Hyundai Sonata LX at 123000 miles. One year later, I heard a strange noise persisting while I kept driving it. It got so loud that I stopped driving it. As a result, I have to buy a new engine cause that one blew up. So sad to see this beautiful car broken down. I hope Hyundai will recall for all these models from 2006 to 2010. Very very disappointed!!!!!!

- Pape S., Apopka, FL, US

Oct 192015

Sonata 2.4L 4

While this is out of warranty, it seems pretty terrible nowadays for an engine to completely fail at only 112K miles, when most engines can routinely go over 200K if they're normally maintained, as ours was. A piston rod failed and went through the block - replacing the engine would cost more than the car is worth, so this is a total loss.

- prietoca, Sacramento, CA, USA

Jun 052015

Sonata LX V4

connecting rod went thru side of the engine. 2" hole

My husband sold his bobcat at half of what it was worth to pay the Sonata off. We lost our 21 year old daughter in March of 2011, and the Sonata was originally her car. The car has sentimental value to us because it was our daughters car. We lost our house to foreclosure in 2014 when my husband lost his job and his unemployment ran out a week later. Our daughter {Angelia} had purchased her car in Oklahoma where she was working at the time & staying with her boy friend, which was in the Air Force at that time.

We fell in love with the car's smooth drive, great mileage, and the look of the Sonata. I had actually told friends about what a great car this was.Then just days after the car was paid off, my husband was on his way to a doctor appointment, and then a loud noise was heard and the car died in the middle of the highway.

How can a car which so was well taken care of, basically self destruct? This became not only an inconvenience but an extremely emotional loss for our family. I have read several other people's on line complaints with the same problem we have had.. It sounds like the 2006 Sonata should be in a lawsuit or in some type of recall to replace the faulty engine. This car should have had many many more miles to travel. Hyundia should own up to their f*ck up and replace the defective engine. We want to keep our daughters Sonata but can't afford a new engine.

- Kristine W., Zimmerman, MN, USA

Sep 182014

Sonata GLS Prestige 2.4L

All my cars are purchased from authorized Hyundai centers, where we are always outside the warranty period and perform regular services. Until last year, service center Hyundcai Pavešković was working on our cars, and we were satisfied and purchased cars and their work.

Because of attractive service prices we moved 25km closer, sales and service center Hyundai Center, Kastela. On my Sonata, which I simply adore, regularly I was doing a service to the exclusive authorized Hyundai service and I first took the Hyundai Center Kastela where they made regular service with oil change at 106 000 km. The next service was provided by 15.000 km, but my Sonata was well drivable. Sonata has never been broken and the service has always been every 15 000 km.

I happened to be in Sonata, heard a strange sound, immediately I contacted the service and the vehicle we drove wrecked at service for repair, then Sonata is completely lost after the oil or 14.500 mileage from the last service. Oil never leaked, lamp oil is not turned on, it did not include any security light. I have to say that the light of the oil is correct.

When we took the car to the service revealed the following: He went to the third bearing on the crankshaft and connecting rods !?

I have to ask you, how is it possible that one Hyundai Sonata 2.4 automatic literally fall apart on mileage 120,000 km on which regular services made by an authorized Hyundai service, because it is between two regular services, ran out of oil? That car is supposed to pass safely 500 000 kilometers to avoid the possibly half-engine repair!

I am writing to you if you can help me and send my letter to the responsible people in Korea Hyundai and find the answer that it is possible that this is happening.

Best regards Anita Kreso

- akreso2, Omis, Croatia, Croatia

Sep 042012

Sonata LX

BOUGHT THE CAR USED IN JULY 2011. HAD 62,00 MILES WHEN PURCHASED.

14 MTHS LATER AT 79,000 MILES,ENGINE DEVELOPED TICKING SOUND AND ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. HAD THE OIL CHANGED,LIGHT NOW OFF BUT STILL HAD TICKING NOISE. TOOK BACK TO AUTO REPAIR SHOP AND THEY SAID ENGINE ISSUE,TAKE TO DEALER. THEY LOOKED AND SAW CONNECTER RODS WHERE WORN OUT AND CAUSING METAL SHAVINGS TO APPEAR IN THE OIL .

TO FIX IT, ENGINE WOULD NEED TO BE REPLACED. CAR WAS RUNNING

FINE UP TO THIS POINT, NO COMPLAINTS EXCEPT HAVE TO KEEP REPLACING

HEADLIGHTS. 3 TIMES IN 14 MTHS. AND THE SUN VISORS DON'T STAY UP. STILL OWE OVER 10,000 ON A CAR I CANT DRIVE UNLESS I WANT TO SPEND 4-5,000 FOR A NEW ENGINE. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE.

- kalmanpa, Schwenksville, PA, USA

Mar 252011

Sonata

I need a new motor in a sonata after only 5 years!

- Dan S., Kimberley, BC, Canada