8.8

$1,500

1. replace engine (3 reports)
2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Owner Comments

Apr 222019

Sonata Hybrid

My husband was using my sonata hybrid to make a 60 mi/ one way commute to work. While on the interstate going 70 MPH, the car started giving a warning and saying "HYBRID SYSTEM WARNING, DRIVE TO SAFETY" Shortly after the car started slowing down and he pulled on the shoulder. We had to have the vehicle towed yet again. This time, the Hyundai dealership told us that we would have to replace multiple parts along with the battery to ensure that this would not happen again. Paid almost $3K plus the $300 we paid 9 months earlier, only to have the same problem AGAIN 4 months later and now are being told that the ENTIRE engine needs to be replaced. When I tried to fight them and tell them that Hyundai needed to cover this, they said they would reach out to Hyundai. The dealership told me that they had to run numerous diagnostic tests, check all systems, etc. 6 MONTHS LATER, yes 6 MONTHS of hitching rides, borrowing vehicles, renting vehicles the dealership said that the found water in the engine. I never went through any water. Why would the car throw the same "hybrid system warning"?! So now the estimated repair is thousands of dollars, causing a total loss. Upon reading so many other people having similar issues, I just wanted to share my story. It was a terrifying experience.

- K S., Baton Rouge, US

Jul 012018

Sonata Hybrid

While driving on a two lane bridge with no shoulder, my car started making a warning sound and the dash lit up saying "HYBRID SYSTEM WARNING, DRIVE TO SAFETY". Once off the bridge (Thank GOD!) the car shut down and started to decelerate as I coasted to a red light. Once there I could not move the vehicle at all. Thankfully two people helped me push the car off the road. I had the vehicle towed to a nearby Hyundai dealership where they told me it was a blown fuse. Quick fix- $300 bucks after the tow... but this was just the beginning of the nightmare that I'm still dealing with almost two years later!!!!

- K S., Baton Rouge, US

Jul 042017

Sonata Hybrid

got the car in January (6 months), Gave it one oil change, it was coming up on the second. We were driving on the highway and the car stalled. We had no lights or warnings. The piston went through the engine block. My mechanic does not believe it was related to the oil.

- Jenna L., denver, CO, US

Feb 242016

Sonata Hybrid Limited 2.0t

Beautiful Luxury Vehicle, has all the bells and whistles anyone could dream of. This Luxury car is categorized in the Mercedes value grade for Insurance Quotes, but today it just proved to be in the lower class line of vehicles when it stalled in the middle of the Highway, exposing me to a possible two way accident with eighteen wheelers that were flying past at approximately 50-55 mph. This was very frightening because this is a new vehicle recently purchased, and I couldn't start the car to save my life. Stuck in the median of seven lane traffic is horrifying... Something is very wrong with this picture. I love my car... but not to death.

Hyundai? What happened?... Frightened Consumer.

- Cynthia B., Orange, CA, US

Aug 002013

Sonata Hybrid Limited V4

The dealer could not find any thing wrong. Told me to drive car till it happened again. I drove car and it happened again in April 2014, dealer had car for 8 days and could not fix problem. Told me to drive it again and it happened again June 17th. They have car and they say there is no problem. Does anybody else have it?

- rbusch, Beverly, NJ, US