ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2016 Lincoln MKX engine problems: engine shut down while driving

Engine Shut Down While Driving

2016 Lincoln MKX

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Lincoln dealer.

9.3

2. throttle body replaced (4 reports)
  3. purge valve replaced (1 reports)
  4. replace engine (1 reports)
2016 Lincoln MKX engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Lincoln MKX:

2016 Lincoln MKX Owner Comments

Apr 232018

MKX 3.2L V6

Car failed to start after pumping gas the last 2 times filling up. Dash would light up with "full accessory power", but after a few minutes of trying to start, the engine would sputter to life. Then, this week, while driving home on a major highway, the car just died, with the same flashing symbol. I put the car into park, and it started again. Turned the car into dealer and they could not "recreate the issue". I pushed back not wanting to get into an accident and shared the info I found on this site. They are replacing the throttle body just in case.

Update from May 12, 2018: While I was driving my car to the dealer for the Throttle Body replacement, the car failed to start again after filling up with gas. However this time, the check engine light came on. When I turned in the vehicle, the service department told me the code showed the problem was the "Purge Valve" not Throttle Body. They replaced the Purge Valve on 5/2, all covered under extended warranty, and no issues since.

- Michael T., Valparaiso, IN, US

Oct 202017

MKX

We have had the car three months. We bought it pre-owned and Certified by Lincoln which I believe gives it the same warranty as a new car. We were going about 35 miles an hour luckily and were in the right hand lane of a four lane major street. The car went into Neutral and the dash said , "Power Off". We glided into a shopping center from the right hand lane and restarted the car. We drove home slowly and called our dealer the next day. He picked up the car on a flat bed truck as we advised them not to drive it on the highway. They had the car a week and said that they could not duplicate the service. They said they reprogrammed the computer and it would probably not happen again. The head of the agency also said he never heard of this problem before. We asked about a trade-in to a new car and he offered us $8000 less then we paid for the car 3 months ago. WE don't really know know to proceed, but will probably get rid of the car and our dealings with Lincoln.

- Stephen F., West Bloomfield, US

Aug 242016

MKX Loaded 3.7L

I wanted to post this as I have an exceptional story to tell. I purchased a 2016 Lincoln MKX with most options from Colony Ford Lincoln in Brampton Ontario. I shopped around and looked at many different vehicles but the MKX just caught my eye. After a few test drives I purchased the MKX and drove away happy.

The vehicle was fantastic, and I had no complaint’s and then after almost exactly one year and 30,000 KM I started having problems. The vehicle would randomly stutter, no notice just stutter and stall if you did not catch it and apply the gas quickly or push the neutral gear button. I took it back to Colony they provided me with a new MCK courtesy car and they checked it out, changed something (I honestly cannot remember what) and gave me the car back, it was no long and it stuttered and stalled again.

Once again I was in the MKC and Colony was checking my car. I must say this went on for almost six months and while it was frustrating Colony kept me in a new car and had Lincoln mechanics as well as their own look at the vehicle. Many parts were changed and many theories as to what was wrong were discussed. Eventually they changed the engine to a brand new engine and I have the car back, it is perfect again.

Being in sales for very large and very expensive equipment I know that all manufacturers have problems, no one is perfect. It is how you handle your problems that sets you apart and I must say that Colony stood by me, looked after me and made sure that I am a happy customer. Colony Ford Lincoln, you five 5 stars from me.

Jim Chaters North American Sales Manager Aermec

- Jim C., Brampton , ON, Canada

Nov 142016

MKX 3.5L V6

Same throttle body issue as others. Engine stalled in middle of a busy intersection causing near accidents.

Lincoln needs to do a recall before there are some serious injuries or deaths as a result of a defect in a cheap component. They did send out an owner letter recently advising that the throttle body could become contaminated. This isn't nearly enough action to take for such a critical issue.

- Allan B., Sarasota, FL, USA

Nov 132016

MKX

I had the same problem as the other people listed. While driving I had the pleasure of having the gas pedal disengage from the car. Found out later it was the throttle body which was under recall. I was not informed by Lincoln. It appears that they have known about the problem since August. It is now November. This is a very dangerous and has the potential for someone to get killed. Having your car go from highway speed to 0 is asking for deaths.

- dzf, Toronto, ON, Canada

Sep 272016

MKX

I had just picked my son up from school and was heading back to my office when my 2016 Lincoln MKX suddenly jerked violently without warning and stopped dead in the middle of the highway almost like I had put the car in park while driving. Fortunately, the engine never completely stopped running and since we had just come through an intersection I was only going about 35 MPH. Even more fortunate was that there was no one directly behind me or in the right lane so I was able to coast into a nearby parking lot going about 1 MPH with the gas pedal pressed all the way to the floorboard. When I put the car in park the engine rev'd extremely high and the car again shook violently before cutting off after about 5-10 seconds.

I called Lincoln's roadside assistance line and they had a tow truck there within an hour. While waiting for the tow truck I did some research on my cell phone and found this website where others have reported the same problem and learned that there is a recall due to a malfunction in throttle body. The dealership had it fixed by the next day which I was grateful for, however, I did launch a complaint with Lincoln about their recall methods. A defect as serious as this should not only rely on snail mail letters to let you know that "Hey, you might want to get your 2016 MKX for repair because this defect could potentially kill you." I've still haven't received a letter from Lincoln regarding the recall.

I shutter to think what could have happened to us had I been on a busy interstate and without warning go from 70 MPH to zero with fast moving traffic directly behind me. The consequences of an antiquated recall system that relies on snail mail letter could cost lives. At the very least, Lincoln should be calling their customers directly regarding this recall to let them know that it must be addressed right away. This is my 4th and last Ford product. I have owned a 2012 & 2014 Lincoln Navigator and a 2013 Ford Edge and just purchased the MKX back in March. I have had issues with all four vehicles, severe enough issues that I sold the 3 other vehicles...I regret purchasing the MKX now because it appears that defects in Ford products are more common than average compared to other manufacturers.

- billtennessee, Dickson, TN, USA

Sep 242016

MKX Reserve 102 V6

MY HUSBAND AND I WERE ALMOST KILLED WHEN OUR CAR SHUT DOWN IN THE FAST LANE ON THE INTERSTATE WE WENT ACROSS 3 LANES WHEN THE CAR COULD START AGAIN TO GET TO SAFETY THEN IT SHUT DOWN AGAIN, WE WENT ONLINE TO SEE IF THERE WAS A RECALL AND IT IS A THROTTLE BODY REPAIR RECALL AT THE DEALERSHIP THE RECALL WAS JUST ISSUED IN SEPT. OF THIS YEAR ! THIS NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED QUICKLY BEFORE SOMEONE GETS KILLED ! WE HAVE A GOOD SERVICE MANAGER ( JONATHAN HUNT) AND MY HUSBAND AND I HOPE THIS WAS FIXED CORRECTLY AND THAT THIS SOLVES THE ISSUE.

- Melvala H., Suffolk, Virginia , USA

Aug 162016

MKX

This is a new 2016 MKX. The wrench light would come on and we take it to the dealership and they find nothing. Happen again nothing. Yesterday 9/13/2016 the wife is driving at 40 mph and the engine shuts down and the suv locked up. Scared the hell out of her. Cars following almost hit her from behind. They have it at the shop again. We had the SUV only 1 month and having all of these problems. The dealership is giving us a hard time. They have lied to us; they hung the phone up on us; and the manager of the dealership will not even talking to us. Herring Ford Lincoln | Lincoln Dealer | Picayune is the dealership and Micky is the manager there. He said that Lincoln said that the driver is holding down the start button to long and that is what is causing all of the issues with the SUV. I called Lincoln and they said that they did not say this to dealership or say anything like that as an issue/problem. This is what is happening now. So now the dealership has the SUV and we have nothing. Someone should make this right.

Update from Sep 14, 2016: Mitch C. Diamondhead,ms

- Mitch C., Diamondhead, MS, USA

Aug 132016

MKX 3.7L V6

Vehicle engine shuts down at stops or stop-and-go traffic while vehicle is in drive. Error displayed on tachometer screen reads "full accessory power active". once engine stops, all electrical continues to work. There is no warning when this happens. You can put car in park and restart, and issue resolves, but happens randomly. This is a brand new vehicle and this is the third time in two months that this has happened. First time was less than 1500 miles. Last time was less than 4300 miles.

- Jerome N., Chesapeake, VA, US

Aug 282016

MKX Label

I am really upset that I am paying so much for a brand new car and I am afraid to drive it. My girls and I were shopping and while turning from one row in the parking lot to another looking for a spot my car just died. We have already had an issue with the car when in drive mode and suddenly go down to idle when we were driving so we had to pull over. The first time it happened I was driving with my girls and it really scared me. The wrench light came on which means take it in immediately. My husband drove it to the dealership and it happened several times on the way there. They said they found and fixed that problem and now this. My husband said that since the service engine light did not come on that they may not be able to pull codes on it to see what is wrong with it. It is Sunday and they are closed now. All I can say is that in the six months I have had this car I have taken it to be fixed more times than I ever took my last car in the 4 years I had it.

- msmithtx, Spring, TX, USA

Aug 242016

MKX Awd

Vehicle engine shuts down at stops or stop-and-go traffic while vehicle is in drive. Error displayed on tachometer screen reads "full accessory power active". once engine stops, all electrical continues to work. There is no warning when this happens. You can put car in park and restart, and issue resolves, but happens randomly. 7200 miles on the car.

- Jason M., Mc Donald, PA, US