- September 11: Lane Departure and Blind Spot Warning Systems Really Work news | 11 days ago
- September 2: Mazda Recalls RX-8, Mazda6 and MazdaSpeed6 Cars Over Airbags recalls | 20 days ago
- August 15: Mazda Recalls CX-7, CX-9 and Mazda6 Over Takata Airbags recalls | 38 days ago
- July 30: Ford and Mazda Want Out of Takata Recall of 2.7 Million Airbags recalls | 54 days ago
- July 24: Mazda Recalls Mazda6, CX-7 and CX-9 to Fix Takata Airbags recalls | 60 days ago
NHTSA — Air Bags: Frontal Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Mazda CX-7 has numerous reports filed with the NHTSA about engine & A/C problems.
Owners report problems with the 2007 CX-7's Variable Valve Timing (VVT) & timing chain failing, causing major damage to the engine — Mazda uses an interference design so typically the valves are bent & the entire engine needs to be replaced. Mazda dealers typically quote $9,000 for an engine replacement.
There is also a trend of the turbo failing at low mileage.
Finally for the 2007 CX-7 there is a clear pattern of A/C compressor failure at relatively low mileage. Owners report smoke & occasionally the serpentine belt catches fire when the A/C compressor clutch seizes while driving. Mazda extended the A/C warranty to 60,000 miles, however many owners report their A/C compressor failed very soon after the 60k mark.
In 2011, Mazda began a "Special Service Program" that extended the warranty to 7 years/70,000 miles covering turbocharger oil leaks & excessive timing chain noise — an early sign of timing chain failure. However coverage under the program requires perfect documentation of all required maintenance with other stipulations. Buyer beware.
- Crashes / Fires:
- 1 / 0
- Injuries / Deaths:
- 2 / 0
- Average Mileage:
- 66,000 miles
About These NHTSA Complaints:
This data is from the NHTSA — the US gov't agency tasked with vehicle safety. Complaints are spread across multiple & redundant categories, & are not organized by problem.
So how do you find out what problems are occurring? For this NHTSA complaint data, the only way is to read through the comments below. Any duplicates or errors? It's not us.
seat belts / air bags problem