ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2016 Mazda MAZDA3 brakes problems: premature brake wear

Premature Brake Wear

6.0

$600

1. replace brakes (2 reports)
2016 Mazda MAZDA3 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Mazda MAZDA3:

2016 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments

Jun 012018

MAZDA3 Touring 2.0L

At about 25K the car would vibrate when I applied brake at low, medium, and especially high speeds. I didn't think it was time to have any brake troubles or excessive wear, but since it is a first tell tell sign of brake problems, I took it in to investigate. I had less than 15% left on all four brake pads. All had to be replaced. This is highly annoying as the mechanics also said that Mazda is known for early brake wear and generally new car brakes would expect to go up to 30-40 K before needing complete replacement. I trust their judgement, since that's what they do for living. I was also shown worn parts, so this was definitely a legitimate concern.

- Ilana K., Brooklyn, NY, US

Mar 132018

MAZDA3

Car started to make occasional grinding noise last week from rear passenger. Sounded like something was locked up then freed up. Took it to dealer today and by pure chance it turns out there is a safety recall for rear brake caliper protective boot and possible rusting leading to the caliper being locked up.

Part 573 Safety Recall Report 17V-393

The problem is after 27K they want to charge $500 or so to replace the brakes and rotors which are scored. They refuse to acknowledge that the caliper lock up was the cause of the rotor being scored. The two things together seem really fishy to me. The front brakes are only half worn.

The grinding noise came out of nowhere, no other squeaking or squealing that usually indicates brake time.

I think others on here are victims of the same problem, but reported the issue before the recall which started mid 2017. I got mine today a full 8 months later.

- Mark S., Fountain Vly, US