ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2009 Mazda MAZDA6 body / paint problems: excessive subframe flaking/rusting

Excessive Subframe Flaking/Rusting

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Pretty Good

CarComplaints.com Notes: The MAZDA6 was redesigned for the 2009 model year. Like any first-year product, it has a few growing pains – most notably a shiny, melting dashboard that can blind the driver.

6.5

$1,100

2. replace subframe (1 reports)
2009 Mazda MAZDA6 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Mazda MAZDA6:

2009 Mazda MAZDA6 Owner Comments

Apr 212018

MAZDA6 I Sport 2.5L

I drove this car at 70 MPH on the highway the day before the frame cracked; my husband was driving it when the wheel went sideways at 20 MPH. We were told the frame was too damaged to tow without signing a hold harmless document. When the car was at the mechanic and up on the rack we saw that the frame was extremely rusted and cracked in several places.

When we called Mazda we were told it was probably due to "weather conditions" and salt on the roads!!!! They said they did not have a recall on the frame but that they were on back order for 6 months. Curious !!!!

We had to buy a used frame from the south which took 6 weeks to arrive. MAJOR inconvenience.

It cost us $1100.00 to have the car fixed. MAJOR upset !!!!

Don't know how they can deny that the quality of the steel was not up to standard and could be destroyed so easily. The car has 141K and in almost perfect condition. There is no rust anywhere else on the car but the frame. Guess the rust was only attracted to the frame.

- Sue P., Pittsburgh, US

Jun 122018

MAZDA6 GT S 3.7L

Purchased the car used, took it to be safetied, was told then shown the subframe was rusted through and needs to be replaced. I don't understand how an integral part of a car can rust out faster than the body.

- Trevor C., Everett, ON, Canada

Jul 012014

MAZDA6 I 2.5L

Purchased this car in 2014 used. I didn't notice it until I drove it off the lot. Well used vehicles come with no warranty as is. Yay me.

- Misty G., Round Rock, TX, USA

Sep 252015

MAZDA6

This is of great concern and could be very expensive to repair. May have to sell the car which, otherwise, is in very good condition.

- gerrynj, Sea Isle City, NJ, USA