ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2014 Mazda MAZDA6 miscellaneous NHTSA complaints: Unknown Or Other

NHTSA — Unknown Or Other Problems

3.6

2014 Mazda MAZDA6 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Mazda MAZDA6:

2014 Mazda MAZDA6 Owner Comments

Jul 022018

MAZDA6

Problem with shift control/park switch.. car would be in a stationary position and ignition would be shut down. Interior controlled items (I.e. radio, heat/air system, lighting, etc. Would remain on and would not shut off. I would attempt to start/restart vehicle to see if the car (and all systems) would shut down - they would not. Only way I could completely turn off the car and all systems was to place the car in reverse or drive mode and then put the car back in the park position. This option worked for a short while and then it stopped working. My battery was completely drained and I ended up replacing my car battery and ultimately I had to take my car into an authorized Mazda dealer to have the gear park switch button replaced. Dealer stated they had numerous customers that experience same problem and resolution. I checked online and saw many customers also experienced same problem and same necessary repair to the vehicle. Battery replacement was approximately $130 and the gear/park switch repair work was $245.37. I have a copy of the invoice for the replacement and repair work, but am unable to scan.

- Fort Bragg, NC, USA

Apr 012018

MAZDA6

I have a 2014 Mazda6 itouring and when I park the car and try to shut it down my battery won't turn off. The car runs on accessory mode and will not turn off. If I put the car back in gear then it move a little and then shift to park with a "heavy" thud most times it will shut down. But how long can this go on before the shifter breaks.

- Oceanside, NY, USA

Jun 012017

MAZDA6

Vehicle does not recognize being in park when trying to shut vehicle off. Happens more frequently than note.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Mar 022017

Ignition does not turn off when pressing start/stop button 2013-2014 Mazda

- Plainfield, NJ, USA

May 202017

MAZDA6

My automatic 2014 Mazda 6 touring down-shifts the transmission when the "hangup" or "answer" button on the steering wheel is pressed while the car is in motion. This issue was recognized by me on Saturday May 20, 2017. I was connected to bluetooth speaking with my wife while driving home from work traveling approximately 65mph on the freeway. When I attempted to press the "hangup" button on my steering wheel, my vehicle downshifted gears causing my car to rev up to 5,000-6,000 RPM. Without first realizing the cause and in an absolute panic, I attempted to put my car into neutral and then back into drive in order for the transmission to catch the correct gear; all while driving 65mph on the freeway. This maneuver allowed the vehicle to correct itself to the appropriate RPM. I later learned that multiple presses of either the "hangup" or "answer" button will downshift the vehicle further regardless of the speed the vehicle is traveling, therefore increasing the risk of surpassing safe rpms while driving. I was able to reproduce this effect every time thereafter. I brought my car to the dealership on Tuesday May 23, 2017 and they claimed to "never heard of that before". the dealer claims to have identified the issue and suggests "replacing the spiral cable behind the steering wheel." For reference, my vehicle does not have paddle shifters. I am very very concerned about pushing other buttons in my vehicle in fear that something else may cause me to lose control and crash my vehicle - injuring myself or others.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 182016

MAZDA6

Mf website does not list status of takata recall of air bag inflators

- Laguna Woods, CA, USA

Feb 292016

MAZDA6

Blind spot monitor (bsm), stopped working. Dealer could not submit a warranty claim to Mazda, claiming scratches on rear bumper/fascia indicated a collision. These were cosmetic scratches. They were there for many months before bsm stopped working. Photos and notes sent to mazdausa, file 1-271657193. Mazda also would not honor the warranty, saying these scratches could cause the bsm to fail, and to file an insurance claim. Scratches are almost unnoticeable unless looked for. This could have been a parking lot ding, a shopping cart, basketball, etc. Hard to believe this bsm system, placed in the bumper area of a car could be so fragile. Bsm stopped working while on a 25 mile drive. It stopped working about 10 minutes after the drive started, not immediately when starting the car. It hasn't worked since. Doing a google search, I found several other complaints similar to this.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Aug 252015

MAZDA6

I was driving down a street @ 40mph when the infotainment, speedometer, shut off and I could not accelerate. The stability control warning came on and stayed on. After a brief moment, the stability warning turned off, but the check engine light went on. The car drove normally for the rest of the day, but the very next day, at a stop light, the same thing occurred, but this time, I could not accelerate past 2000 rpms, nor reach 20 mph. I pulled over on the side, and turned off the car. Then turned it back on. It drove normally with the check engine light on the rest of the day, but this could be a very dangerous situation.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA