2008 Mercury Mariner fuel system NHTSA complaints: Fuel/Propulsion System

NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008-2011 Mercury Mariner has a dangerous problem with the power steering that Ford says they fixed when they didn't -- at least not 100%.

2.4

2008 Mercury Mariner fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mercury Mariner:

2008 Mercury Mariner Owner Comments

Dec 292016

Mariner

My wife and I were driving home on the interstate. We had just merged to the passing lane to allow traffic merging from an on ramp to enter the interstate a vehicle next to us was doing the exact speed as we were which was 72 mph set cruise control. I had vehicles approaching from the rear and since I was in the passing lane decided to speed up and get in front of the car beside us I pushed the accelerator on our 08 Mercury Mariner with a 3.0L engine to the floor and the car accelerated in front of the other car, when I lifted my foot off the accelerator the car continued to accelerate. I pushed on the brake once with nothing changing the car continued to accelerate. I proceeded to pump the brake three additional times in about 1 second intervals. Finally the accelerator pedal release and the car slowed down. We preceded home without further incident. This is a very dangerous condition and has resulted in serious injuries and deaths in earlier model years of Ford escape, Mercury Mariner and Mazda tribute vehicles. I have had Ford vehicles my whole life and have been working on vehicles for more than thirty five years. This is not normal and is not the only time or vehicle this has happened to in this year there are many other similar people that have similar complaints on these Ford and Mercury SUV's on the internet ex: Carcomplaints.com to name just one. The internet is filled with these dangerous complaints. When are you going to live up to your name and put the safety aspect first, when dealing with these to rich to be bothered by recalls auto manufacturers?

- Mooreton, ND, USA

Dec 252014

Mariner

TL-the contact owns a 2008 Mercury Mariner. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled as the stop safely now warning light illuminated. The vehicle was restarted but the failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the water pump for the electrical system failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V526000 (hybrid propulsion system).the failure mileage was unavailable. Djr

- Mission, TX, USA

Oct 092014

Mariner 4WD 6-cyl

Acts like throttle body failure. No power when accelerating but rpms go up and then surges when finally throttle works. Wrench light on.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Dec 272012

Mariner 6-cyl

Was traveling home for lunch, turning corner and vehicle suddenly went to idle. Pushed gas pedal and it went to the floorboard, but engine remained at idle. Was unable to accelerate at all. Was able to idle home blocking traffic as I went. Checked gas pedal and found that throttle cable had broken. The wire itself had broken. The rubber grommet and crimped end remained in-tacked. This could have been very dangerous if for instance I had been pulling onto freeway or crossing a busy intersection, or in heavy traffic. I believe this part should be inspected on all vehicles of this year and make. This type of breakage could cause an accident and possibly a fatality.

- Stephenville, TX, USA