ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2009 Volkswagen Jetta brakes problems: ABS module failure

ABS Module Failure

2009 Volkswagen Jetta (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Volkswagen dealer.

8.3

$2,440

2. replaced ABS control module (13 reports)
  3. software update (4 reports)
2009 Volkswagen Jetta brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta:

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 012017

Jetta SE 2.5L 5-cyl

The ABS module needs to be restore or replace. The lights on the dashboard that comes on includes engine, brakes, steering, ABS, and E.T.C.(electronic throttle control). What actually happens when it comes on is it hard to steer, acceleration goes slow, beeping hearing test noise frequents, gas gauge goes to E, and speedometer stops working. This happens frequently and doesn't matter what road or highway I'm what makes it more dangerous when its hard to steel and the brake lights are constantly flashing.

- Prepper 6., Franklin, IN, US

May 212017

Jetta 2.5L

Four and half years ago I bought my 2009 Volkswagen. I bought it in good faith that all the parts were the correct ones on it. I bought it from Archer Volkswagen used car lot in south west Houston Texas. No lights were on and car was working fine.

Three years after purchase, I've bought new transmission, new pull belts and radiator coolant and break flush. Now they have a recall on ABS module brake system needs a information upgrade. Well when I went to Archer Volkswagon for recall. They said the Abs module in the vehicle was not the correct one and they can't upgrade the information system to do the recall. Unless I pay $1500 dollars for a new ABS module.

I don't believe this honest or integrity for the customer. When u purchase a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. As a customer, you can't see the Abs module, it's hidden under cover on passenger side under hood. They sold me a car knowing it didn't have the right part. Now I ride around with check engine light on and brake light ,slippery road light blinking all the time. Then I was told that Volkswagen is the only one who could do the up grade for information to make it go away. Sounds like monopoly to me.

All I ask is for them to do is honor their recall. If the part that's been recall is not operating then Volkswagen should replace that part with the right one. I financed my vehicle with Volkswagen they have made money off my 60 financing with them. You shouldn't do good customers like this.

- bigdonnie53, Houston, TX, US

Mar 022018

Jetta SE 2.5L

ABS light on, brake light flashing. Recall has been issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). If you have a 2009 Jetta go to the NHTSA Site and enter your VIN Number and look for the safety recall.

- Eyarg H., San Antonio, TX, US

Mar 172017

Jetta

In March 2017, I brought my VW Jetta into the dealer to have the ABS module fixed after it was recalled. I was recently in an accident where I rear ended another car. I had enough braking distance to stop and I was driving at a reasonable speed, which was below the speed limit as I was nearing my exit. However, when the car in front of me stopped on the parkway, despite flooring my brakes, my car slid into the car and the ABS did not kick in at all. I feel that there is still an issue with my brake system.

I contacted the VW headquarters and my insurance company. IF the car can be repaired, The dealership that fixed the recall will assess my ABS and determine if it was fixed properly. I’m sure the VOLKSWAGEN DEALERSHIP that fixed the initial problem is not going to find an issue with the work they did. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that VW will Without bias asses my car and determine if they have any responsibility in my car not being able to stop properly.

- Arianna K., North Babylon, US

Feb 022018

Jetta 2.5L

Replaced rear pads/rotors and a week later the abs traction and BRAKE lights are on BRAKE flashing and randomly beeping. Ok no big deal maybe some rust on the rear wheel speed sensors. Nope. Scanned it. Implausable signal (didnt record the code #) cleared it. Lights off for few days then back to the same thing. Brakes feel fine (obviously with abs and Trac disabled) Scanned again Code 16352-014 Control module Faulty. So yet another 2009 with a bad ABS module/pump/software, whatever.

Even if i get a used one there's no guarantee it will work and if magically it does i still need the dealer to flash that same junk software into it since its from a different vehicle.

Very Disappointed to say the least.

- Matt H., Wilmington, US

Nov 012017

Jetta 4DR 2.5L

Hopefully, I will be taking this up with the dealer...before laying out massive funds.

I think a recall is underway....http://www.thedrive.com/news/12186/volkswagen-recalls-766000-cars-globally-for-brake-issue

- Michael C., San Diego, US

Dec 092017

Jetta 2.0L V4

not a good experience with Volkswagen Jetta 2.00

Very painful.

- Syed A., Cypress, US

Sep 302017

Jetta 2.5L

I was told to come in for a ABS Module recall. I came in. Two months latter my ABS Module is flashing on the dash that it broken. VW denies to fix the issue even though online lots of people with same issue. Class action lawsuit seems appropriate.

thanks.

- Robert V., Palm Bay, FL, US

Sep 202017

Jetta SE 2.5L

I was told to come in to get the issue taken care of. They said we'll do a software upgrade if it works you're good to go. If not it will tell us and we will replace the part. Once they did the upgrade they said all was good. less then two months latter my ABS and Brake lights flash on my dashboard reporting an issue. I take it in to the dealership and they say VW wont fix it. I called VW direct and they are going to investigate this. Meanwhile I have no car. So waiting on VW corporate to see if they will approve the fix or not.....I will update when I hear from them.

- Roberto V., Palm Bay, US

Nov 132017

Jetta

In July I received a recall notice for the ABS software. I promptly took my car into a VW dealer and had the work done. Now, in November my ABS, traction control and E-Brake lights came on flashing and beeping while driving down the road not braking. Took it in and they say i need a whole new ABS control module. This should absolutely be covered under this recall. The recall states that if the ABS fails diagnostics after the software update, that they will replace the ABS module entirely. I really do not think that this amount of time in between is unrelated, and I would guess that none of the modules would fail the diagnostics. I have read many other similar complaints from people with this model year and i think it's despicable that they are not covering it under the recall. I have not paid for my repairs yet (it's currently in the shop), but I intend to fight to get this included under the recall. Also the SAME dealer did the recall work as is working on it now. I have praised this car as being one of the best. I have 97,000 miles on it and this is the FIRST hiccup I have had ever. The way VW handles this can change my entire opinion of them.

- Savannah L., Jacksonville, US

Jun 152017

Jetta SE 4 cyl

A bunch of crooks!

The ABS Light came on and the car was breaking funny. I checked online to see if there was any recalls on my vehicle and found that the ABS module software needed to be updated. The recall also stated that the ABS module may need to be replaced due to this problem. I took it in and had the update installed, so now that I have it back, it is worse than ever.

They said that I would need to replace the ABS module for $1,666 in order to get my car working right again. "wasn't it included" I asked. They said it was a separate problem and the error code was not in the perimeters. I'm not the only one with this problem do to Volkswagen's screw up with the software. I've checked around and there are many others that are having the same problems.

Just the other day the EPC light came on and the speedometer stopped working because apparently the ABS module on this vehicle also tracks your speed. I'm not the only one and this is a blatant fault towards Volkswagen and their shady practice.

- James A., Myrtle Beach, US

May 092017

Jetta S 2.5L

NHTSA Campaign Number: 16V913 Manufacturer Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC, ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL Potential Number of Units Affected 135,683 Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (Volkswagen) is recalling certain model year 2009-2010 Volkswagen Jetta A5 Sedan, 2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen, Eos, GTI, Rabbit and Audi A3 vehicles, and 2010 Volkswagen Golf A6 vehicles.

Abs Control Module Recall 45F2- The Antilock Brake System (ABS) control unit may fail during ABS or Electronic Stability Control (ESC) activation, possibly causing a loss of vehicle control. ABS and Stability control becomes inoperative- a loss of vehicle control can increase the risk of a crash. Insufficient PCU ground connection. ABS pump failed Fault code 01276/12 – ABS Pump Electrical Error in circuit remains ABS module controls the pump. The software update is to correct insufficient ground connection which causes the pump to fail. What does the software update fix? Prevents my ABS from failing How is the ground connection checked? If the software can cause the pump to fail and my pump failed shouldn’t the recall fix that issue?

- Robert G., Port Hueneme, US

Nov 152016

Jetta TDI Tdi

click to see larger images

ABS module failure ABS module failure

While driving under normal conditions I was attempting to merge onto the freeway at approximately 8:05 a.m. As I was preparing to merge a car from the far left lane merged across 3 lanes of traffic right in front of me cutting me off. I had to apply the brakes very quickly and hard. This caused my brakes to lock up and the car started to fishtail. The ABS system never engaged as there was not push back on the brake pedal or automatic pumping motion and the car went into a skid. I was unable to correct the fishtailing and I lost control of the car as is spun 180 degrees and slammed into the side of the freeway wall. It caused over $4,000 of damage including damage to the rear axle, cooling fans, radiator, and front and rear fenders. When the car came to a rest the ABS and ESC lights were illuminated and flashing. I turned the car off immediately due to engine noise as the broken cooling fan was banging into the engine area. When the CHP arrived I restarted the car and to pull the car off of the freeway. when the car was restarted the ABS and ESC lights were no longer illuminated. No warning or failure codes related to the ABS/ESC system were present when the mechanic conducted a computer scan of the system after the crash. All codes were to do with the engine and emissions system. No action was taken because it did not show any failures which is what has been reported by others. The codes go away when the car is restarted. This is major flaw on VW's part. I wish my check engine light would just go away when restarted as it has nothing to do with the safety of the car. The ABS system failure is dangerous and there is no way to know it fails or have VW know unless it illuminates and you can drive straight to the dealership and have it scanned without turning off the car.

- Brian W., Hinesburg, VT, US

Jun 222016

Jetta TDI Tdi

On this day I was driving on winding road under normal driving conditions. I crested over a hill and the ABS and ESC warning lights illuminated. I was unsure as to why as I had not engaged the braking system and I was not using excessive braking. I pulled the car over and the passenger asked if it was important and I stated I wasn't sure. I turned of the car and restarted and the warning lights were now off. The light did not illuminate again. My car had been in dealership about 2 weeks prior for work and no codes were given as a warning that the ABS was failing. I also had work done a few months later and there no ABS codes provided.

- Brian W., Hinesburg, VT, US

Dec 202016

Jetta Sedan Tdi

I believe the faulty ABS was the reason I got in a car accident on Dec 20, 2016. I was driving on the highway in Chicago, after recent snow, so roads were a little wet. 2 other cars hit each other in front of me, so I pressed the brake pedal with more than enough distance between me and them to stop in time in most correctly functioning cars. When I put brakes on, i realized i wasn't slowing down quick enough, and ended up hitting the car in front of me. I originally attributed it to conditions, but now I believe bad ABS allowed this accident to happen

- Chad N., Chicago, IL, US

Dec 152016

Jetta SE 2.5L

We have two Volkswagen's, this 2009 and another 2008 and have loved them up until recently. Out of nowhere on the first snowfall of the season, every light having to do with brakes lit up on the dash causing us to loose control of the vehicle and run through a stop sign because we could not stop due to the ABS, brakes, and Traction control failing. This is my girlfriend's car and she frequently has her young cousins in the car with her as she picks them up from school some days. This is so incredibly dangerous I cannot believe VW has not issued a recall. So disappointed in VW right now, especially with how loyal we have been. This outrageous repair is simply not feasible for us as we are both in college. Disappointed in VW..

- Jake M., Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jan 132017

Jetta 2.5L

$2500.00 to fix. Damn car isn't worth that much. Every light is on and it keeps beeping. What a pile of doo doo!

- spraynmach1, Lynchburg, VA, US

Dec 072016

ABS module lights flashing

Every one should call 8883274236 so we can get this done on Volkswagen. It's a problem with the 2009 cars

- Melody J., New York, NY, USA

Oct 232016

Jetta S 2.5L

On October 22, 2016 we had the brakes replaced and then on October 23, 2016 every light on the dashboard was lighting up. The brakes were not done at a dealership but on the 23rd we made an appointment for the Jetta to be taken into Volkswagen for them to run a diagnostics test on it. The test came back saying the ABS control module needed to be replaced. After getting a second opinion somewhere else and quotes from both Volkswagen and an outside source we're sure it's the ABS needing to be replaced but we can't find anywhere how long the car will continue going with this module not working properly.

If the only issue is that the brakes could lock up upon harsh braking, then we know 1. Not to have any passengers and 2. Keep a safe distance away from everyone. However if this problem could/does get worse then we won't drive it until the module is fixed. Also wondering if VW would take the car in as a trade without fixing the module? How much do they take off of it's worth?

Update from Nov 15, 2016: On November 14th all the lights and whistles stopped we had a diagnostics test ran on it back in October and nothing since. Being that we didn't have the money right away we decided to drive it as long as nothing got worse. Around November 9th the car started surging like it the fuel pump had something clogging it (closest description I can give) but out of no where it all stopped the breaks work great, the steering and excelleration are fine.. we don't know what happened but we plan on having another diagnostics test on it to see if anything comes up.

- stealmysunshine, Ormond Beach, FL, USA

Sep 012016

Jetta 2.5 2.5L

• CVT transmission

The problem with my 2009 volkswagen jetta was the brake fluid was to low and when I replaced the brake fluid and filled it to level, the whole car went haywire. Everything on my dash lit up and would not go off. I tried resetting it by removing the negative wire from the battery, but nothing seems to fix the continual short on my dash. The brake warning light continues to scream at random times and then go away. I had issues with my brake caliber, my alternator, the traction control coming on randomly, replacing head lights, brake lights, and the sunroof randomly is operating with me touching the controls.

I now see taking it to the dealer will be a waste of my time.

- Rodney B., Fayetteville, GA, USA