ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2012 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volkswagen Jetta:

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Sep 032018

Jetta

Key gets stuck in ignition when turning off the engine.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Aug 142018

Jetta

The car will not turn off. The ignition switch will not allow the key to be turned into the off position and it continues to run. The key cannot be removed. The vehicle is stationary and in park.

- Cresco, PA, USA

Aug 062018

Jetta

Ignition key got stuck into ignition switch making unable to turn the car off, this is the second time this happen, the first time dealer replace the switch charging over $500 dollars worked good for a while and then the key started to feel like a bump when turning the key off again untill get completely stuck for second time in about 3 years span, contacted dealer and the customer service deny any wrong doing even though she said is a common issue, obviously they know about the issue.

- San Bernardino, CA, USA

May 142014

Jetta

Airbag light continues to stay on. I had an accident back in 2014 and the airbag never deployed. The steering column ignition switch locked and my key was stuck with the car still running on in a station place. I was trying to park the car and my ignition switch locked and would not moved and kept the key locked in it. I kept trying to move the jiggle the wheel and turn the key but it cause the key to break off in the ignition switch. I had to pair to get the ignition switch replaced and the key replaced. Also after that the horn stop working and I was told it was because the clock spring had to be replaced. I paid again to had the clock spring replaced however the horn now is going in an out. The horn will sound off one day and then for a couple of days it will not work. This happen only 2 weeks after getting the clock spring fixed. Also the horn is not loud it barely makes a noise. Now the sensor light is on for the engine and I was already told there's nothing wrong with the engine.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Jan 012016

Jetta

Received verbal quotes to fix the issue with the key getting stock in the ignition with car running and was told it was not covered by VW and that it would cost close to $500 to fix and I chose to live with the issue...now I received a letter to get reimbursed for the cost when I did not have it fixed. Called to set up an appointment and the dealer told me the car is over 100,000 miles and I would have to pay for it. This to me is not correct. I brought this issue up many times before the car went over the 100,000 and they claimed it was because the car was old...I would like someone to look into this and get back to me so I can have this issue fixed.

- Seekonk, MA, USA

Apr 232018

Jetta

The key becomes difficult to remove or stuck in the steering column. This was identified on my 2012 VW Jetta in 2015 at 81K miles and recommended to be replaced by a VW dealership. At the time, I was unable afford the replacement cost. This has happen throughout my time owning the car (typically in the warmer months). I experience the issue where the key became stuck yesterday. When I got home yesterday I received a letter from VW stating that this is a known-issue and that they are extending the warranty coverage to 10 years or 100km miles to cover this issue. My car has 130K miles on it now and I just spoke with VW and highlighted that a VW dealership identified the issue in September 2015 (81K miles) when the car would have been covered under this extended warranty. They told me because I chose not to pay for the repair then, there was nothing they could do now. This is extremely frustrating. VW did not just decide this month that this was an issue and should pay for these repairs as the extended warranty doesn't do enough as many cars are probably well beyond it.

- Rosemount, MN, USA

Jan 012018

Jetta

Key is stuck in ignition when car is parked, car will not turn off.

- Addison, TX, USA

May 012017

Jetta

Key gets stuck in ignition and cannot be removed. Vehicle is in park. Steering wheel is not locked at this point. Engine can be turned off, but key cannot be removed. Volkswagen has replaced ignition lock cylinder but problem reappears.

- Alamo, CA, USA

Aug 252017

Jetta

Key stuck in ignition. After arriving home and parking after a normal drive, I was unable to turn key to off position with engine running. Had to stall engine with clutch to stop it. After 10 minutes of jiggling, tapping, twisting with no result, I found that holding the key in the start position and allowing it to snap back would free it up. This behavior continued without exception for two days until I could get it to the dealer. Diagnosis "ignition lock housing internally binding". they removed and replaced Volkswagen part # C6-905-841 "steerlock" and the problem was resolved. This seems to be a very common problem with a variety of VW vehicles, with hundreds of reports in online forums.

- Washington, NJ, USA

Aug 222017

Jetta

Key gets stuck in ignition and I cannot turn off the engine.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 182017

Jetta

Key gets stuck in ignition when turning off the engine

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 152017

Jetta

The key gets stuck in the ignition switch when trying to turn the car off

- Flemington, NJ, USA

Feb 012016

Jetta

Engine light comes on and off from time to time at random times. It comes on and off when driving and when parked.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Aug 012017

Jetta

Key gets stuck in ignition and I cannot turn off the engine

- Port Jefferson Station, NY, USA

Aug 012017

Jetta

The key will not come out of the ignition. We have tried everything possible and VW said this is a known issue but wont recall and have to pay 1000+ to fix. What if something happened with myself or kids in the car and needed to get the keys out!

- Manassas, VA, USA

Jul 262017

Jetta

When my car is on, I cannot turn the key in the ignition to turn the car off. I was told this is an extremely common problem in Jettas. The car is just under 5 years old, less than 80,000 miles on it. I've learned that VW knows about the problems, but won't recall to fix the problems that happen in so many Jettas. It is no coincidence, and VW should be responsible.

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Jul 292017

Jetta

Key gets stuck in ignition when turning off the engine. The key won´T move or turn off the engine no matter what I do, and I am not able to turn the car off!! I tried for over an hour and finally had to drive to dealer - they weren´T able to get the key to turn off the engine either and had to pop the hood and pull wires.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 202017

Jetta

The contact owns a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving approximately 65 mph, the electronic power control warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle lost acceleration. The contact merged the vehicle to the road shoulder to a complete stop. The engine was turned off and then restarted. The contact stated that the vehicle had been experiencing the failure for approximately six months. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic (wallen auto II in Michigan city, Indiana) for diagnostic testing and the accelerator pedal was replaced twice, but the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000.

- Trail Creek, IN, USA

Jul 172017

Jetta

"key gets stuck in ignition and I cannot turn off the engine."

- Friendswood, TX, USA

May 262017

Jetta

Key gets stuck in ignition and I cannot turn off engine. This has been happening for weeks. When it first started it was only once and awhile but now every time I park my car it takes me twenty or more minutes to try and get my keys out and turn off engine.

- Salem, MA, USA