CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 18 of 20)

Aug 102008

Trailblazer

About 2 weeks ago, my 05 Trailblazer began having "no start" problems. Sometimes it would start and sometimes not. During times it would not start, I could not shift it out of park. If I turn the key off and back on again it would start. But I took it to the dealership to find out what was going on, and of course, they could not duplicate the problem. So I continued driving it with this off and on problem for 2 weeks until one day I was driving on the interstate with my son, mother and father in the vehicle. All of a sudden the motor just killed! luckily there was no one behind me and I was able to pull over to the side of the road. As I was pulling over though it was difficult because the power brakes and power steering were lost. My son was very upset and nervous. This time at the dealership they confirmed it was the ignition switch. This is the second time replacing it since buying the vehicle new. Even the technician admitted that Trailblazers have alot of trouble with ignition switches but said there is no recall because it's not a "safety issue". so my engine dying while I'm traveling 70mph on the interstate with family in the vehicle poses no safety issue? I feel that Chevrolet should issue a recall and reimburse me for my costs as my warranty is expired. By the way, other problems I've had with this vehicle include the idler pulley, brake lights going bad and melting into the terminal, speedometer malfunction, cd player broken, glue around license plate frame oozing and melting, broken latch on storage compartment in between front seats, faulty thermostat causing engine light to come on, and problems with the back hatch door. Next vehicle I buy will be a reliable Toyota or Nissan. Can't wait to get rid of this Chevy.

- Jefferson, LA, USA

Dec 022007

Trailblazer

I own a 2005 Trailblazer. Its a great vehicle but problem's of great concern have risen. I would like to petition to have Chevrolet to display a campaign for the recall and correction of a fuel gage problem which myself and many, many Trailblazer owners are having. It involves the fuel gage not functioning properly displaying empty and or a variety of levels of the fuel tank. The amount of complaints which I have found on the internet of Trailblazer owners should warrant an action from Chevrolet to repair the problem with no costs to the owners of these vehicles. Please investigate and you will see the situation. I hope an action to correct is the responsibility of Chevrolet because it is definitely an design issue. Why do the owners have to pay something that is not functioning properly and definitely an issue from the manufacturer. The other issue is very serious. The doors lock automatically when the vehicle is not in drive or the engine is running. Case in point, my wife stopped at the service station to fill up with fuel, left the keys in the ignition close the door and started to fuel up. Part way in the filling as she stood there outside of the vehicle, her purse inside on the seat and the doors locked on their own. She then had to barrow someone's cell phone to call on-star to unlock the doors. I did not think much on it and thought she had did something to trigger the action. Well one day I was in the sitting truck and waiting for my wife. I have the key in the ignition, the engine not running and then the doors locked by themselves. I did nothing to trigger this. Now I believe there is something very wrong. This locking by themselves will be very serious if a mother has an child or infant inside the vehicle and he or she is possibly getting fuel or something. What if this happened and the child or infant started choking or convulsions or a very hot day and help is many minutes away. Does Chevrolet not care?

- Carmel, CA, USA

Jul 252008

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer which was purchased in 2007. While driving 30mph, he noticed a burning wire odor, turned the vehicle off and discovered that a fire erupted under the passenger side glove compartment. The dealer stated that there were no recalls; however, there was a 10-inch amp that should have blown the fuse to prevent a fire from occurring. The failure mileage was 106,000 and the current mileage is 107,000. Updated 10/03/08 updated 10/07/08. 8jb

- Wataga, IL, USA

Nov 012006

Trailblazer

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer which has a faulty speedometer. GM will not do anything about it. It is out of warranty, but I have been reading that this is a widespread occurrence. This is a safety issue.

- Florissant, CO, USA

May 012006

Trailblazer

Headlights dim intermittently, heat looses power at the same time, now getting flickering of interior lights. Wasn't able to fix it. Bumper warping. Getting 10 miles to the gallon! paint on buttons wearing on radio. Sun roof leaked profusely, had it fixed. Rear window defogger doesn't work. Head liner sagged.

- New London, CT, USA

May 242008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. Car is in fine condition but for some reason the car died. It restarted and ran ruff. Called the dealership and they had me tow it in. They ran "tests" and said my battery terminals were loose. I told them I did not agree. They said that they found nothing. Today June 2 rush our approaching an intersection car just died again. Car is not fine. Both times I was luck to be away from others but if not.....everything failed including my brake lights. If there was anyone near me than yes there would have been property damage, a crash and a report to the police.

- Parkland, FM, USA

May 282008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I have had my 2005 trail Blazer for 2 years, and have taken it in 3 times, and had the alternator replaced twice. I'll be taking it in again tomorrow, due the dimming/flashing lights, and whining noise. Same symptoms as before, alternator again I'm sure. I am hoping to sell it, and never buy Chevy again. Very irritating!

- Spanaway, WA, USA

Apr 262008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Electrical problem with 2005 Chevy Trailblazer.

- Lookout Mtn, GA, USA

Dec 102007

Trailblazer 4WD 8-cyl

2005 Chevy Trailblazer purchased with 19,000 miles on it in 2006. December 07 while driving home at night, lights began to flicker. Dealer said was necessary to reset computer to resolve the problem. After computer reset, check engine light turned on. Took it back to dealer (pulled code for air check valve), reset the light. Two days later, engine light came on again and was taken back to dealer where it pulled another code... after the third time, the dealer contacted GM and were told to reset the computer back to original setting and either the light would go off and the lights would flash or the light would stay on and the lights would stay normal. Needless to say, within three days, the lights flashed and the check engine light came on. I have contacted GM several times and was told that they would not warranty it once they do figure out the source of the problem and could not give an estimated date as to when that would be! I will never purchase another GM product again. I think a class-action lawsuit should be started!!

- Los Lunas, NM, USA

Feb 282005

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. Since purchasing the vehicle, the headlamps flicker or dim while driving, similar to a power surge. The dealer was initially unable to duplicate the failure. When the failure was able to be duplicated, the dealer was unable to make a repair. At the end of September of 2007, the steering column made a sparking sound and the dealer could not duplicate the failure once more. On September 20, 2007, the radio and all the components on the instrument panel failed intermittently. The vehicle had to be turned off and restarted for them to eventually operate again. In addition, the dome lights would remain illuminated. The driver's side door latches were replaced twice. The rear hatchback latch was replaced twice. When the key was removed from the ignition, the key buzzer would continue to sound. On January 25, 2008, the rear wiper motor was replaced and failed again on March 4, 2008. The current mileage was 36,182 and failure mileage was 70. Updated 4/2/08 the consumer stated the emblem on the rear tailgate loosing color, brake pads and rotors are worn. Updated 04/02/08

- Canton, NY, USA

Mar 112008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I own a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. Since purchasing this vehicle I have had several problems. I am the second owner. I bought it with 24,000 miles. The first thing was the engine light turning on for no apparent reason. Tests would show nothing. Then the whining started. This was fixed at the dealership. Next the flickering lights. It only seems to happen at night (or that is when I notice them). When the flickering started the lunging started. This is when I am coming to a stop or going slow my car seems to jump forward for no apparent reason. The dealership found nothing wrong with my car when they checked these problems out. Next when making U-turns my car would just die. Since it is an automatic I would have to then put it into park and restart my car. Again when I took it to the dealership, they found nothing. My speedometer has started to jump or fail to work altogether. And most recently the engine light turned on again and and my car was running as though it was going to die. Upon taking it to the dealership, they ran $500 worth of test to tell me that my car at 60,000 miles was firing incorrectly in the 1st cylinder. This is going to cost me $4,000.

- Auberry, CA, USA

Jul 092007

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I bought a 2005 Trailblazer used in June of 2007 with 34,000 miles. Since then I have had the rubber seal around the license plate fixed 3 times for the glue melting and running down the tailgate. The air conditioner when ran for extended trips doesn't blow like it should, the dealer supposedly fixed that twice. The whole light flickering thing is annoying and probably could be avoided with a stronger alternator. The check engine light came on for secondary air injection malfunction conveniently after the warranty has expired, its all due to a crappy check valve that is made with a metal that corrodes easily causing it to stick. I understand that problems happen but this vehicle only has 38,000 miles on it. General Motors knows about the problems they just don't want to go broke fixing their mistakes. Or just do some quality control on vehicles before they are massed produced.

- Wichita Falls, TX, USA

Feb 132008

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The headlamps and dashboard lights dim and brighten as you drive. It is an intermittent problem. Chevy has said this is normal for the Trailblazer and not repairable. This is a safety issue.

- Kent, WA, USA

Feb 012008

Trailblazer

2005 Chevy Trailblazer headlights flashing after dark. Consumer stated that the headlights flash around dusk or after dark and interior lights dim. She states that people in traffic believe she is doing this on purpose and she is not. The consumer stated the headlights were on automatic and then they started to go dim. The lights on the dash were fading in and out as well.

- Independence, MO, USA

Mar 012006

Trailblazer

I bought a 2005 Trailblazer in 2006. There was alot of hissing from the speakers, which they replaced but it never fixed the problem. I already fixed the oxygen sensor and now I notice the lights go dim and bright and it seems to lose power. It only has 36,000 miles on it. Everytime I bring it in it doesn't happen so no one knows what it is. I have 2 small kids and it's cold in Wisconsin so if it ever dies in the middle of the country who knows what could happen.

- Hingham, WI, USA

Feb 042008

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Trailblazer and the lights will dim and the battery gauge will drop down. I have taken this to the dealer and they can never seem to find anything wrong. I have read on the internet that GM has no answer for why this is happening. I have people that will pull over for me because they think that I am flashing my lights at them. This has been happening since I got the SUV 2 1/2 years ago.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jan 012008

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Since the purchase of my 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer I have had problems with my lights(interior and exterior) flickering (I have noticed this problem at night). My dealership has tried many things on their own and suggestions from Chevrolet. The alternator was changed, lights switches replaced, computer reprogrammed. This problem is not being resolved by Chevrolet. This problem has some potential to cause serious problems if the events occur during night time driving.

- Canton, NY, USA

Jan 022008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Voltage drops occasionally while vehicle is running. This causes my light to dim and engine light to come on. When this happens my vehicle runs funny. I haven't replaced anything yet. I'm still trying to get to a mechanic.

- Roscoe, IL, USA

Jan 042008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

When driving at night only, the headlights and dashboard lights flicker and dim along with the voltage gauge dropping down. After 10 or so seconds, the voltage gauge resets to 14 and the lights brighten to normal. The flickering occurs at steady driving speeds as well as during slow-down.

- Ridgeland, MS, USA

Dec 102007

Trailblazer

I own a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer and I have encountered numerous problems since purchasing this vehicle brand new from the dealer. I have had to have sensors replaced, fuel tank has had to be worked on, and now the main most costly is I am having to replace the transmission. This vehicle has approx. 84,000K miles on it and is only two years old. Please help to see if this should have been a factory recall. I have always had my vehicle serviced at the dealer where I purchased it at.

- Avery, TX, USA