Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Aug 242013

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Driving on the highway to the shore my speedometer increased to 95 mph. When we parked it was stuck on 10. Since then it has happened many times. When I park I have to check what it stops at. Sometimes, its 10, 20, 30, etc. I have tried disconnecting the negative battery cable and that helps as a temp fix. My dealer says there is no recall, but I saw online a class action suit against GM, but not for Trailblazers. This is a GM issue and I don't have the money to get it fixed. Updated 03/11/14

- Hatboro, PA, USA

Nov 212013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway when I slowed down & stopped for an accident ahead of me. I did not slam on my brakes and I did not go over any bumps that would jar the vehicle. I was stopped for approximately 20 minutes. When I began accelerating I noticed the speedometer was no longer accurately reading my speed. I was doing around 50 mph, but my speedometer was reading 22 mph. I tried turning the car off once I got home, then restarting it, but it was still reading 22 mph. When I drove it the next day, it started out reading 10 mph, and has varied since then, but still not reading accurately.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Nov 072013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I went into town to grab dinner and as I am driving along, my headlights shut off. The only thing that remained on, were the orange turn signal lights. I frantically turned the headlight knob on an off and nothing happened. I was looking for a place to turn off the highway, however it was night time and I had no headlights. I ended up pulling over to the gravel side of the road, and turned the car off. Now I am stuck on the side of the highway at night time, with no working headlights. I turned the car off and got out, tapped the headlights and looked for any physical damage and did not find an answer. Upon starting the car again, it sounded like someone had turned on a vacuum cleaner. The noise pitched up for about 5 seconds before pitching back down. After re-starting the oil pressure gauge moved from its normal position at "12 O'clock" to an abnormal "6 O'clock". I tried to call onstar for a vehicle diagnostic, however now my radio would not work either. I tried the headlights again, and they still would not turn on. I turned on my high beams, and proceeded back home. While en route my speedometer was reading 10mph over my actual speed. When I pulled into my driveway and turned the car off, the speedometer stayed at 10mph. I find it very hard to believe that all of these things happened all at once as a coincidence. This is a huge safety concern as I lost the ability to see at night, as well as the ability to monitor my speed all while trying to drive. Not to mention all of the motorists who were blinded by my high beams on the way back.

- Green Lake , WI, USA

Jan 152011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Bought this vehicle used in Oct 2010. Not long thereafter, noticed the speedometer wouldn't work all the time - normally it works when I first start driving but when the vehicle warms up, it stops working all together. I think it's a safety issue if you do not know how fast you are going. The cruise control also doesn't work once in a while. Most of the time it does, but occasionally I can't get it to go on at all.

- Lino Lakes, MN, USA

Feb 082010

After filling up my gas tank the fuel sensor read empty and the gas light was on. Also, whiel driving the fuel sensor would jump around showing empty, full and the gas light would come on. The vehcile was still under warranty at the time so I took it to the dealership to have it repaired. The service rep at the dealership inidcated that it was a common problem with the fuel sensor and it would need to be replaced. He mentioned that I was lucky the vehicle was still under warranty because the repair was very costly. My vehicle occassionaly lurches when it put inot gear from being parked or idle as if it wants to just take off right away. I contacted GM on this and they stated there was nothing they could do, but I have researched and found that many others have has this same problem. Another issude I have had was my speedometer and entire dash cluster failing. While driving on the interstate my speedometer jumped to over 100 mph and then back down to 0. at that point it stopped working for a few minutes then started working properly again. Finally it stopped working altogether. I took it to my mechanic and he replaced the enitre cluster panel which cost me around $800. Again, he did some research and found this to be a common problem. I sent GM a letter with a copy of the repair bill along with documentation of the many complaints I found online with the same issue. I heard nothing. I reached out with a phone call and was told the issue did not warrant a recall. This could be a serious safety issue. Please consider a recall as it apperas this vehicle was just poorly made and many other people are experiencing the same issues.

- Pleasant Garden, NC, USA

Mar 012008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I purchased my '05 Trailblazer new off the lot never had any problems until the speed odometer stopped working. Couple years later my oil & gas gage stopped working. I based my speed off my RPM & calculate my gas mileage after each fill up. Now my dashboard lights are dimming & I've noticed on many occasions my headlights flicker...I have replaced the battery twice & the water pump twice. Now when my check engine light or this other little chk gage light comes on, I don't know if a malfunction of if something is truly wrong. Now it's running rough, acts as if it wants to cut off. They have checked all that they can but because the chk engine light isn't on, there's no way for them to identify the problem. And unfortunately, when the mechanic rides with me of course the car won't do it...and although, these are separate issues I can't wonder if replacing the battery is connected the same system as the dashboard. I've been told by 2 differ mechanics it would cost up to $600 to replace the whole system. But after reading all the complaints, many having the same issue as me I can't help but wonder if this problem could or should be on a recall & if not, why? if you view the complaints why not look into the very present & persistent problem! its very frustrating & aggravating to play a guessing game when your up & down a highway daily! not to mention a safety hazard! surely, your company isn't so money hungry that you can't take responsibility for you product & offer to pay for some or all the costs to repair! I'm a single mother of 3 & I was blessed enough to pay my car off a year ago but I've paid more in repair costs & stressing whether or not I'll make it safely to & from my destination! I never had this many issues with my grand Jeep Cherokee. I am truly disappointed in your vehicle...

- Guthrie, OK, USA

Mar 072011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The oil pressure gauge stopped working. Second incident at a later date, the speedometer stopped working correctly, third incident at a different time, the fuel gauge reads incorrectly, fourth incident, the battery gauge is working sporadically. Most of the time the gauges do not function properly or not at all.

- Harrison, AR, USA

Oct 132012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Due to a faulty gas gauge the car engine stopped on a highway three miiles away from fuel with children in the vehicle.

- Meriden, CT, USA

Aug 202009

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Is no longer working broken.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Mar 012012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

While driving to work my cruise control shut down and my speedometer stopped working. A couple weeks later the speedometer began working and now it has stopped again and stuck on 55 and doesn't move regardless if the vehicle is on or off. The cruise control won't work. I am very frightened to continue driving without knowing what speed I am driving. I can't afford to keep spending money on this vehicle to repair all the problems it's had. Wondering if the speedometer is covered under my 100,000 mile warranty. Please help.

- Amherst, NY, USA

Feb 012012

Cluster instrument panel failed. RPM odometer doesn't work, speed ranges from 80-off the charts, gas gauge not accurate. Apparently big problem w/over 300 complaints yet no recall. Firestone just quoted me $700 for a remove and replace instrument cluster gauge. $600 for the gauge itself. I can't afford that.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Apr 012011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Speedometer quits working intermittently. It will work fine for awhile, and then all of a sudden it says we are traveling 0 miles per hour or the speedometer says we are going slower than our actual speed. Today I filled my gas tank and now my fuel gage says it is on E and the low fuel light is on.

- Farmington, MN, USA

Oct 242011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My 2005 Trailblazer has begun to have several problems and in speaking to other Chevy owners the same problems have been found in other models and years of Chevy trucks and SUVS. I'm very disappointed to see that Chevy chooses not to recall, which is why I'll never purchase another Chevrolet. Beginning a few months ago my gauges began to be erratic. Starting with my speedometer sticking at zero and then later sticking at 60mph even while sitting still. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. next while sitting at traffice lights or stops signs my engine began to surge forward without applying the gas. When the vehicle surges the RPM gauge also jumps up. I already replaced one transmission at 50K miles and now since passing 100K miles have begun to have rough shifting again in my vehicle. I do not drive my vehicle in a rough manner, speed, or haul a trailer, so there is no reason to be going through transmissions. Now my fuel gauge has stopped working and I'm having to track my mileage with my odometer. I've never seen a vehicle with so many problems and no help offered from the maker. *

- Decatur, AL, USA

Nov 292011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The speedometer in my vehicle suddenly shows over 120 mph no matter what speed I am traveling. I have found this to be a common complaint. The fuel gauge is also very inaccurate never showing more than 1/4 tank of fuel regardless of how much I put in.

- Lexington, SC, USA

Oct 152011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Was driving other day and looked down at my speedometer and it said I was doing 70mph, and I thought well maybe the wind was behind me. Then I came to a red light, stopped and saw that it said I was still doing 20mph (I was stopped).nice going GM, your batting 1000, first its my fuel gauge now the speedometer what's next? this is my first Chevy that I got for my birthday last year well it hasn't even been a year since I have had this vehicle worse birthday gift (to myself) ever. Why are all the other 2005 model vehicles being recalled for these things but not the Trailblazer? this is not my fault and GM should make it right.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Nov 092010

Just one day we got in the car to head to the grocery store and as we were heading there I looked down and the speedometer was at 20 when I was clearly doing 55. I pulled up to a stop light and shut the car off then restarted hoping it would fix itself and nothing. I has never worked right since then. I went to the local Chevy dealer and asked to see if there were any recalls on this issue and they told me that there are recalls on every Chevy SUV and truck except Trailblazer and told me to input a complaint to see if they would recall this issue. I asked them how to do that and they said to contact Chevy. They were not helpful. The bull**** thing is that every Chevy truck and SUV from 2003 to 2007 use the same instrument panel so you can't tell me that this paticular vehicle is not like the Tahoe, suberban, or Silverado that has the same issue as I am having. I am pissed that I have to pay for a faulty part that Chevy knows is an issue.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Sep 192011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

While driving this morning on the highway, my speedometer stopped working. Now the gauge is point down and will not register.

- Worcester , MA, USA

Mar 192011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

My 2005 Chevy Trailblazer speedometer quit working. On March 19, 2011, while at a stop light I looked down at the speedometer and it was reading 80 mph standing still. The speedometer reads 120+ while traveling down the highway. I have no idea how fast I am going, I just keep up with the traffic. This is my wife's car and I feel this is very unsafe. I looked on the web to see how I could repair this problem and found there are several people that own Chevy Trailblazers with this same problem. It seems Chevy doesn't see this as a problem for some reason. Is there a recall out for this problem with the Chevy Trailblazer?

- Joliet, IL, USA

Mar 032011

Traffic was horrible bumper to bumper, I was driving and realized not to rush so I stood in the first lane, as I was driving bumper to bumper I always drive within one car lengths in case I get rear ended. As I am driving bumper to bumper all for a sudden next thing you know my car just suddenly accelerated at incredible speed I manage to swerve into the emergency lane to avoid causing a multiple car pileup my car died instantly I started it up again and it just wanted to take off as it did before I turned the car off thinking to myself my god what just happened and what is going on, I am trying to calm my 12 year old child because it was the most frightening thing I am my family ever went thru. I press the break and just relax for a second and started the car up and it was fine. However, my nerves were pretty much shaken, I had taken the car to jj auto shop in hayward who is ase certified he did a diagnostic on the vehicle he said he could not verify what I was saying, no error lights and the history was clean. He also mentioned the computer at times does not pick up a split of a second acceleration. He believes my story and said everything is done thru computer so there is no finding as of the moment. I was not sold on that but he also recommend I could change the body throttle @ $700 but he said I just don't want you to buy the part so you could just drive in the slow lane and if it happens again to shift the car into neutral and turn it off asap> my thing is since car's are computerize this should have why is it they could not verify my situation and also body throttle what he was looking at and what Chevy thinks it was! so my complaint is for Chevy did they overwrite software to overlook sudden acceleration? the only major issue I had had with my vehicle was when the speedometer went crazy as I was driving 110 but was really going 35mph

- Union City, CA, USA

Dec 172009

My speedometer dropped to zero as I was crossing railroad tracks, and my cd player stopped accepting cd's during that same time period for no apparent reason. The gauge later stuck at first 20 - 15 mph, and then to 10 mph when the SUV is stopped. After about 2 months, it corrected itself. The gas gauge then went out. It would register the tank as empty no matter if it was filled. This began 2/2010. I, a disabled driver, have run out of gas on a deserted road 12:15 a.M. in the winter due to having to calculate miles driven with the tachometer to determine approximate gas consumption. Unfortunately, that calculation doesn't account for engine idling in traffic jams. I sat in the middle of the road in my cold SUV praying no one came around the curve and slammed into me since I ran out of gas in the middle of a dark rural road. I was terrified in this situation and rarely drive at night if I can help it because of the manufacturer's known defect and negligence. I have paid over $500 to repair these manufactures defects, only to have them malfunction again within 1 week of repair. I was told by the mechanic that he would not attempt to fix it a second time. Once again, my speedometer is no longer registering the correct speed, and I have been pulled over by a police officer for speeding. I showed the officer my speedometer, and to my surprise he let me off with a warning and told me that he has pulled over other Trailblazer drivers for speeding who in turn had the same or similar issues with their speedometers. I have had interior lights malfunction, and driver side head light malfunctions where the light keeps going out. The headlight was checked by a mechanic and was not deemed loose or blown.

- Clarksville, TN, USA