CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2004 Chrysler Pacifica drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 012016

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. While approaching a stop, the vehicle stalled and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed the error codes as P401 and P172. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure was related to NHTSA campaign numbers: 03V471000 (fuel system) and 04V113000 (power train). The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jun 212016

Pacifica

I had the transmission solenoid pack replaced on May 8th 2015. On Jun 21 2016 the car became erratic and I had to pull over on a freeway. After being told the mechanic said that this solenoid pack had a hole blown through the metal in addition to a short in the electrical system

- Saint Clair Shores, MI, USA

Mar 032016

Pacifica

Won't let me pump gas in with out it constantly clicking off, when gas gage hits half it drops with in seconds. Traction control light engine light low and high tire pressure stays on but nothing shows on tester. Front end does a lot of popping, and clanking while driving even while turning and stopping.

- Columbus, KS, USA

Jan 152016

Pacifica

The cooling system for the car does not work correctly. After a steady idle of about 5 minutes, the car will begin to get hot and the fans will kick on. Two minutes later it will do it again. The system it self seems ok, but the fan is constantly on and off. The motor get S so hot that the hood on my car is starting to turn. Next is the airbags. The airbag light for the passenger side is always on indicating a failure. The bag has never been deployed" now the biggest problem is the top end of the motor. My check engine lights keeps coming on. Keeps saying misfire on cylinder 4. everything has been replaced and I still get this code" my vehicle gets it regular maintenance and my mechanic said my car should not having these problems.

- Spring, TX, USA

Nov 112015

Pacifica

Frame is rusting under the engine and service bay at tire dealer said it was unsafe.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Aug 252015

Pacifica

Will not pass inspection says vapor leak, has replaced gas cap twice, not able to find leak. Also the transmission shifts really hard, broken motor mount

- Florissant, MO, USA

Jul 222015

Pacifica

Was driving down the street and heard a load bang when drivers side of car dropped down onto front tire. Car abruptly swerved into lane with approaching traffic. Vehicle stopped against the curb and oncoming traffic stopped in time. We towed vehicle to a friends business for inspecting and it was discovered the engine cradle had rotted out from rust. We called local dealer and was asked for our V.I.N # and was told our car was not part of recall because it was not built within a few weeks window. In searching more information online we found this is a huge issue on these cars. Please advise

- Amherst, OH, USA

Apr 052005

Pacifica

My wife was parked. When she put the car into drive the lever did not stay in drive. It bounced into reverse and when she started to go forward the force of the reverse caused her to push harder on the accelerator hitting the vehicle behind her and one on the drivers side. We could not duplicate the problem again nor could the dealer while it was in for body repair. My wife lost confidence in this vehicle and we ended up trading it in for a major loss in $. we liked the vehicle and ended up bying another one and noticed that the shiftier had a totally different set up. We questioned Chrysler at the time and they said that there was no problem. A couple of years later we met someone who had the same vehicle as we did at the time, and they had a similar problem as we did but theirs ended up jamming and when they forced it, it broke the plastic sliding cover. Once that happened they had not other problems with it. They tried to replace the cover but none were available. This leads me to believe that Chrysler knew of the problem and elected to ignore it as it did not draw national attention I am not sure it this is too late for any corrective action or not, but I think they should be brought to task for ignoring it.

- Shelton, CT, USA

Jan 152015

Pacifica 6-cyl

Sub chassis frame assembly rusted and corroded. Was found when taken in for a routine oil change. Was advised should not be driven in current condition.

- New Castle, DE, USA

Dec 012014

Pacifica

Engine cradle has rusted a big whole through.

- Ashcamp, KY, USA

Dec 012014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted but the failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the power train control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred multiple times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 04V113000 (power train) and 03V471000 (fuel system, gasoline).the failure mileage was unknown.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mar 092011

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact attempted to engage the brakes and the vehicle jerked forward. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Brainer , MN, USA

Dec 232014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while at a stop light with the brakes depressed, the vehicle jerked forward as the check engine warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact stated there was an abnormal noise coming from the front of the vehicle as the vehicle failed to accelerate over 40 mph. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power train control module and the fuel line needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 04V113000 (power train) and 03V471000 (fuel system, gasoline). The failure mileage was 147,000.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Dec 122014

Pacifica 6-cyl

My steering wheel started to jerk to the right when accelerating and it was hard to keep the car on the road. It felt like the front wheels were going to fall off. I took the car to the shop and they informed me that the sub structure cradle was rusted through and had failed. This also took out the transmission mount and idler arm. Had I been going any faster when this failed it may have caused the car to swerve into on coming traffic.

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA

Aug 282014

Pacifica 4WD 6-cyl

Significant rust and corrision resulting in damage to structural integrity and ability to exit vechicle in case of collision or structural failure.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 012012

Pacifica 6-cyl

Rusted engine cradle / subframe. Many near missed accidents. It's so bad I had to stop using the car. Forced to buy another vehicle because Chrysler customer care said they won't repair it. Ongoing for 2 years now.

- Walton, KY, USA

Oct 242013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Chrysler has a known problem with the sub-frame cradle supporting the engine. In northern areas these frames are rusting through causing loss of steering control. Chrysler has extended the warranty to 10 years /150K miles, but only applied this to a small band of vehicles produced between Feb.23,2004 and March 31, 2004. My vehicle was manufactured Jan.12, 2004 and has the same safety problem. I have sent several letters to Chrysler requesting they take care of this problem and have received negative responses. Chrysler needs to be held accountable for this safety issue before someone is killed. In my last request to Chrysler I asked them to commit to me that my vehicle was safe to drive ( I sent multiple pictures). Chrysler responded 5/12/14 that they were not going to consider this problem warranty, but they did not respond to the safety question. I would really like to talk to someone at NHTSA about this issue.

- Mentor, OH, USA

Jan 012014

Pacifica 6-cyl

The engine cradle cross member of my vehicle is rotting to the point that I can no longer have the car safety inspected in pa. There is a service note for a small window of Pacificas included on a warranty for the same problem, but only for the cars built within a certain date. Chrysler is aware of the problem, but will do nothing to correct it. The cradle incorporates the engine mounts, lower control arms, and steering. If it is not replaced, and brakes while driving, there will be a complete loss of control of the vehicle. I know that my vehicle is not the only one with such a serious issue.

- Chalfont, PA, USA

Jul 202012

Pacifica

After replacing a both motor mounts in July of 2012. They broke again in November 2012!! this time it was so bad that when I turned the corner the engine died and would not start back up. Eventually after trying to turn it over so many time the battery died. We had to have it towed to the shop after the holidays to find out how much it would cost to fix ($1200) and exactly what the issue was. The tech informed me that besides the mounts being broke, when I turned the corner the engine lifted and cut thru all of the wires leading to the failure of the car's power control module. This resulted in a loss of speedometer, other electrical functions, and the loss of three ignition coils. I just want to know why they keep making "rubber" engine mounts if the damn things are useless in the first place? there has to be a reason all these cars are having the same issue and if I had known about this before I financed this "pos", I would never have put my childrens lives in danger.!! I had the car fixed and everything was going fine until last night, once again! I was driving on the highway and some stupid person slammed on her brakes in front of me so I hit mine and when I did my car lunged forward and I heard the god awful "pop" sound again!!! now I am back to square one and within a years time this car will have had 3 sets of motor mounts put on it. Someone please tell me there is not a defect somewhere, because whoever handles these issues at daimler/Chrysler needs to drive one of these cars for themselves and see what we have been dealing with for so long. Also, another issue is the check engine light and it has to do with a very small leak inside the gas tank. I have been told this is a recall, but have not been able to get anyone to fix it. I just want some answers, more so for my kids sake so I can try and get it fixed completely or a new car so they are out of harms way.

- Fenton, MO, USA

Aug 022013

Pacifica 6-cyl

2004 Pacifica has a clicking noise and had it checked out and it is the cradle assembly& rear engine mount is bad. It is rusted and cracked. Also has alot of suspension issues. Engine getting ready to fall out.

- Waterloo, IA, USA