CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2004 Chrysler Pacifica miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 092016

Pacifica

Our car has been very well taken care of and is in otherwise great condition, but the shop said undercarriage is rusting out so they won't pass it for inspection. I do not even have it paid off so I def. Cannot afford another car! it is so sad that so many are affected and nothing is being done about this issue. Chrysler was negligent and should have to be held liable.

- Schuylkill Haven, PA, USA

May 312016

Pacifica

My 2004 Chrysler Pacifica has been taken care of to the max. A resent observation my mechanic revealed the front undercarriage is rotted out and not safe to drive. Being a single women the expense to fix this problem is very disturbing. My vechicle has 120,000 miles on it, and of course it does not meet warrenty requirements. I cannot believe Chrysler did not stand by their products being the fact that so many car owners have had the same issue. A car with 120,000 miles on it should not have a rust problem like this.

- Three Lakes, WI, USA

May 312016

Pacifica

The engine cradle rusted and had to be replaced so that the engine did not fall out of the car. Evidently, there was a technical service bulletin for this problem to extend the warranty but that was superseded by another tsb indicating that only Pacifica's manufactured from Feb 23, 2004 to March 31, 2004 are covered. Our Pacifica was manufactured in April, 2003. This is a very common problem with this vehicle and is a safety hazard. The vehicle had a vibration and when I had it checked the mechanic indicated that the engine cradle was rusting through and needed to be replaced or the engine would fall out of the car.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Apr 152016

Pacifica

Takata recall vehicle will not stay fired up as soon as soon as throttle is relased car dies immediately, sometimes not starting back up for 15-40 minutes, replaced idle air control, replaced throttle postion sensor, replaced all spark plugs, ran a fuel cleaner, and replaced alternator, car still will not stay turned over and still will nnot idle, if throttle and RPM drop car wil die in traffic sitting in drive way hasn't matterd where happens everywhere

- Windsor, MI, USA

Aug 292014

Pacifica

Severe engine cradle perforation due to corrosion which has made operating the vehicle unsafe. The engine cradle (sometimes called the K-member) is corroded to the extent that the stresses and loads from driving and braking are likely to cause the engine cradle to fail catastrophically. The attached photos show the corrosion and perforation damage. This is not a customer maintenance issue.

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Apr 232016

Pacifica

I was driving and my children smelled smoke. I pulled over and opened the hood and saw a fire. A stranger stopped and tried putting it out with a fire extinguisher but it caught on so quickly that there was no chance. I suffered a complete loss since the entire car was engulfed in flames.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Nov 072015

Pacifica

The front subframe known as the "engine cradle" is severely rusting out. This is a known issue by Chrysler on 2004-2005 Pacificas. There was an inadequate coating of the metal which leads to premature rusting. In 2010 Chrysler issued an extended warranty for this, but only for cars built in a six week period in 2004. This only covered a small fraction on the cars affected. Chrysler never sent information to owners warning of this or offering suggestions on maintenance of this issue. As a result, thousands of Pacifica owners like myself are left with cars unsafe to drive and unable to sell because of the severity of the issue. The response from Chrysler (fac) when you contact them is "sorry, it is not under warranty".

- Granger, IN, USA

Aug 282015

Pacifica

I took my car in an oil change on 08-28-15 and the auto mechanic called to tell me how unsafe my car is -the subframe is rusting and falling apart! totally unsafe to drive and that it should be fixed asap. The cost of this repair is $4000 -well above the car's worth. There was recall, but only for a certain number of vehicles -my VIN not included. This is a known problem for Chrysler and yet there is no recall on this unsafe condition. My engine can fall out as I am driving around my family! help!! what is my recourse?

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Jul 062015

Pacifica

I took my pacifca to the parkway dealer at 21560 hall road clinton twp mi 48038 due to a stalling issue. 586 465 7262. Usually early morning after first starting the car, then driving a short distance. The car would either stall out or the engine would rev and attempt to accelerate. When trying to accelerate on it's own, I needed to put firm pressure on the brakes to hold it in check. The technicians at parkway failed to successfully analyze and diagnose the stalling and unintended acceleration issues. Instead, he told me the vehicle was not safe to drive to due severe engine cradle (subframe) rot. 2 channels - lower portion have rusted through. After investigating this issue, I found that it is common among Pacificas manufactured in 2004/2005. I addressed this concern with the dealer to no avail. I also raised a case with Chrysler customer service and they also refused to do anything to replace the subframe, despite acknowledging a warranty extension letter issued for 2004/2005 Pacificas because of the subframe problems and also a service bulletin.

- Shelby Township, MI, USA

Jul 132015

Pacifica

I went to go wash my 2004 Pacifica and when I got down on my hands and knees to wash the tires I noticed some rust under car so I got on my back and looked under my car and noticed my whole subframe was completely rusted out on both sides.I'm not to happy and I feel as if their should be a law suit filed.I have since read complaints and so far I havnt come across one person who lives in a snow state were the roads are salted in winter who have not had a rusted sub frame on their Pacifica.I don't know what the hold up is with Chrysler fixing what they sold to us!!!

- Strafford, NH, USA

Jun 012015

Pacifica

Engine cradle is rusted through. Mechanic told me the engine could fall out. Very dangerous to drive. I bought it from a dealer that gave the vehicle a clean safety inspection even with the dangerous engine cradle. I reported the problem just a few months after buying the car but the dealership said that it was something I would have to take up with Chrysler. Chrysler and the dealership (ernie von schledorn) I bought the car from, refuse to repair or accept responsibility.

- Whitefish Bay, WI, USA

May 302015

Pacifica

While in for an oil change I was informed that the engine cradle has rusted through. I was told the same thing last year also. I was informed that now it has rusted through to where it may not be safe to drive since the engine could shift on the rusted engine cradle and cause an accident. Looking online I see that many 2004, 2005 Pacificas have this problem and many have been told by Chrysler Corp., as I was last year, that my vehicle was not manufactured within the 2 months where they say they had manufacturing problems and had fixed those that they say were defective. Chrysler has repaired many Pacifica engine cradles, according to information online, but only after having an outside investigating Agency like a tv station or other entity getting involved. This apparently is a dangerous situation that Chrysler does not want to address with a recall or repair. My request for repair is on file with Chrysler Corp. From my contact with them last year.

- Norton Shores, MI, USA

Mar 162015

Pacifica

Bought car in for routine oil change and was informed of severe rust on K frame assembly and that car was dangerous to drive

- Hawthorne, NY, USA

Apr 052005

Pacifica

My wife was parked. When she put the car into drive the lever did not stay in drive. It bounced into reverse and when she started to go forward the force of the reverse caused her to push harder on the accelerator hitting the vehicle behind her and one on the drivers side. We could not duplicate the problem again nor could the dealer while it was in for body repair. My wife lost confidence in this vehicle and we ended up trading it in for a major loss in $. we liked the vehicle and ended up bying another one and noticed that the shiftier had a totally different set up. We questioned Chrysler at the time and they said that there was no problem. A couple of years later we met someone who had the same vehicle as we did at the time, and they had a similar problem as we did but theirs ended up jamming and when they forced it, it broke the plastic sliding cover. Once that happened they had not other problems with it. They tried to replace the cover but none were available. This leads me to believe that Chrysler knew of the problem and elected to ignore it as it did not draw national attention I am not sure it this is too late for any corrective action or not, but I think they should be brought to task for ignoring it.

- Shelton, CT, USA

May 072015

Pacifica

Service appointment to repair ac, when mechanic noticed subframe badly rusted. Determined to need replacement as soon as possible. Vehicle outside of noted extended warranty arrangement for 2005. This is a major safety hazard that should be under a recall. I was told subframe may be replaced at cost; checking with Chrysler dealership in mn.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

May 312013

Pacifica 6-cyl

I am writing because I am seeking help. I am the 2nd owner on a used Chrysler Pacifica 2004, purchased in May 2013. When I first brought it my fiancé had some concerns with the rust under the car, but he's not a mechanic so he wasn't able to tell if it was as dangerous as he suspected it to be. Before the Chrysler, we had an 05 Mazda MPV that got totaled. We used to take it to the Mazda dealership on the auto mile on route 1 in norwood to get regular oil changes and etc... so naturally we took our Chrysler to the same place and the mechanic told us, "I can't even believe you drove in here with your undercarriage in the condition that it was in. With that info, I have tried to file a claim with Chrysler corporation with failed attempts. I am seeking resolution for my rusty corroded cross member connected to the subframes which is the piece that holds my engine. After calling the dealer I brought my car from, he told me I could investigate that Chrysler has had several complaints about or regarding rusty, corroded subframes of their 04-05 Pacifica's and I found a particular article as I strolled through google and seen several complaints about the same issue. That in January of this year, there was a broadcast for this particular situation for Chrysler 04-05. But Chrysler corporation claims my vehicle doesn't fall in the built dates. The repairs are very expensive, I got a quote for $900 for the repairs when I went to muffler mart on 1579 columbus avenue for an inspection sticker and I would like Chrysler to assist in the repairs or have at least a recall on the issue of all 04-05 Chrysler Pacifica's, before someone gets fatally injured. There was also an nbc Chicago investigations covering this same story, in April of 2014, but it was first exposed in January 2014.

- Boston, MA, USA

Nov 222014

Pacifica

This vehicle engine cradle assembly is rusty with in 8 years of operation. Rusty engine cradle causes safety concern for the driver and other vehicles operating near 2004 Chrysler Pacifica on the road because the engine can fall out of the vehicle during operation. Many Pacifica owners on line complained about this issue.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Aug 152013

Pacifica

When I bought it I drove it 20 feet to gas station. The gas tank said I had half a tank of gas. Once I was done I turned the car back on and it said I had no gas! I called the guy who sold it to me and he said it just takes time for it to reregister that I filled it up so I drove it back to him to show him what I was talking about when he got there it said I had half a tank and he told me to drive it home I would be fine! well on the way home it said I had 20 mile till empty but the last thing it showed on gas tank was that I still was at half take so I filled it up again. I took the car to my brothers which is 35 miles from fargo to have him see if he could fix the pumps but he couldn't so I got back on interstate goin 75 mph to go home and the gas light flickered and the car went from 75 to 0 in like 2 seconds. Resulting in myself bashing my head on steering wheel and no air bags went off either! my husband came to get me and brought gas cans to get me enough gas to make it to a gas station! it took us 58 min exactly to fill the tank completely full so I could make it back home. So the next day I called back and they eventually had me take it to lundes in fargo to fix the gas tank which took 1 month almost 2, so when I got it back multiple times in between that time it was still happening! finally they fix it except the fact that a year later it's happening all over again! which was 5 days ago on my way to jamestown with my children in the car! I have called many of places and nobody knows how to fix it. If I go back to lundes they said they had no idea why it would happen again! and how long it would take them to figure it out! it would have happened earlier if I actually drove the car more but ever since the accident when I drive that car I can't stop checking how full the tank is! something needs to be done before someone gets into a serious accident with that car!

- Fargo, ND, USA

Aug 282014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I went to a mechanic to have an oil change and upon inspecting the vehicle, the mechanic noticed the engine frame was severely rusted. It is rusted to the point he advised me to no longer drive the vehicle. The cradle is rusted to the point you can no longer see where it is attached and can fit fingers in the rust holes. I was informed by my mechanic that this is a manufacturer issue that would put my family and I in danger.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 162014

Pacifica 6-cyl

While in for inspection in June '14, we were advised by the mechanic that the engine cradle assembly had rusted through and was unsafe - they would not pass it through inspection. Otherwise, the car is in excellent condition, and has been maintained properly throughout our ownership. Our research indicates this is a problem with the initial factory paint application - it was defective and allowed for premature corrosion of the cradle assembly. There are many instances of this posted on the internet (some of which have been addressed by Chrysler - but not all). This is dangerous and something should be done before accidents start happening (especially with children involved given this vehicle is a minivan).

- Yardley, PA, USA