CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

1.6

2005 Chrysler Pacifica body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 6 of 9)

Oct 012014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Went for routine state inspection and was notified that the subframe has significant rust on the passenger side (engine cradle). This vehicle only has 125,000 miles on it and the subframe should not be rusted out. Have called Chrysler and although they issued an extended warranty in 2010 which included my vehicle they have since refined this to vehicles made in a 6 week window in 2004. My vehicle was made in June 2004 just a few weeks outside their window. It is obviously a bigger problem as there are tons of similar complaints - rust on the subframe on the passenger side (see full list of complaints at NHTSA and all over the web). This needs to be addressed asap by Chrysler. It has left me and my family in a very difficult situation - never mind the safety problem I have exposed my family to over the past year.

- Merrimack, NH, USA

Sep 232014

Pacifica 6-cyl

My Pacifica 2005 started making popping grinding noises while stopping and taking off plus while turning. I called Chrysler and was told that it was the axle gasket and that it was safe to drive but to take care of the problem quickly. Well come to find out it was a rotting subframe. There is a recall for this issue for 2008 and up. I called Chrysler back and they said sorry wrong year. I could have killed my family because of this issue that Chrysler won't admit too. I only have 82,400 miles on my car.

- West Henrietta, NY, USA

Sep 222014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Went to get my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica inspected and was told the front sub-frame was rusted through.

- East Greenville, PA, USA

Sep 242014

Pacifica 6-cyl

When taking the car for an oil change, it was pointed out that our engine cradle was very corroded and rusted through. We have since discovered that this is a known issue with this year, make, and model of car. However, our car was manufactured outside the very narrow range of dates for which an extended 10 year, 150K mile warranty on the engine cradle was made available. The body shop has quoted us $4000 to repair the vehicle, and said the car is very unsafe to drive in it's current condition. Given that this issue is so common for this car, it is only a matter of time before someone is killed driving one. Chrysler should be forced to issue a recall on all 2004 and 2005 Pacificas in order to repair this problem before it is too late for some family.

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Aug 282014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle began to shake and vibrate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who discovered severe corrosion on the subframe and engine cradle, which needed to be replaced. The mechanic stated that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included in the manufacturer's recall. The recall number was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 146,875.

- North Attleborough, MA, USA

Sep 092014

Rusted/rotted subframe/cradle.

- Columbus , OH, USA

Sep 052014

Pacifica

I took my 2005 Pacifica in for an oil change and routine maintenance and the mechanic discovered the subframe of my vehicle is rotting and rusting away. He said that this could be a potentially dangerous situation. Upon doing research, I've discovered that Chrysler is doing nothing to fix the situation.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Aug 262014

Pacifica

The contact own a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated the engine cradle was perforated due to rust. The vehicle was taken to a independent mechanic who confirmed the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 130,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Marlette, MI, USA

Aug 192014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Just took my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica to my mechanic today, 08/19/2014, and found my undercarriage to be rusting. I was told that it would last only about 1 more year. Our Chrysler Pacifica only has about 109,000 miles on it. It is going to cost well over $3500 to replace the undercarriage. I am a disabled veteran, and am on a fixed budget. These costs are taxing myself and my wife, and eating up our savings. We need help to find out if Chrysler would be willing to help us out with the cost of fixing our vehicle, or at least meeting us half way.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Aug 072014

Pacifica 6-cyl

The engine cradle has collaped and the motor has dropped about 3". it will be falling out of the car soon due to corrosion on this part. This is the exact part that the 2004 had issues with. The car is now unsafer to drive and needs an estimated $2200 repair. There is an apparent design issue as this car is in excellent shape otherwise.

- Midland , MI, USA

Jul 302014

Pacifica 6-cyl

While having routine maintenance performed on my vehicle, the technician noticed that the engine cradle and sub frame were corroded and fractured. The vehicle was not repaired and the technician advised it was unsafe to drive. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. We were advised that Chrysler is "not participating' in assistance for covering rust damage to engine cradle extended warranty. The failure and current mileage was approximately 84,500.

- Lake Forest, IL, USA

Jun 262014

Pacifica 6-cyl

While getting oil changed, mechanic noticed perforation rust and cracking due to corrosion on the engine cradle. While Chrysler had a recall on selected 2005 Pacifica for this issue, I contacted their customer service line and was told my vehicle was not covered by the recall. With mine being the same year and showing the exact same problem as was covered in the recall, I think this repair should be included in the general recall.

- Oglesby, IL, USA

Jun 262014

Pacifica 6-cyl

My local mechanic was looking for a recurring rattle in the front right wheel area, and asked me to look at the corrosion on the front subframe. He commented that he knew Chrysler had a known problem with this frame and that he also knew that Chrysler is unwilling to cover the cost to repair this inferior portion of the vehicle. The internet is full of others who have also experienced the same problem. I am asking NHTSA to intercede with Chrysler and encourage them to cover the repair of this potentially fatal flaw in their product, and have a recall issued for all models with this problem, and not the narrow one month manufacturing window that Chrysler seems to think is adequate to cover with an extended warranty.

- Telford, PA, USA

Jun 122014

Pacifica 6-cyl

The subframe in my vehicle is rusted out. Chrysler acknowledged this issue due to possible subframe failure that could cause a catastrophic failure which could lead to an accident. Extended warranty was issued for 2004 and 2005 models of my vehicle and those were repaired. I have the exact damage listed in the acknowledgement that came out in 2010. However I am told that because my vehicle was built in October 2005 I am not covered. I meet all the criteria listed in the acknowledgement for a replacement. No where in the letter does it state what month your vehicle was built in to be covered by the warranty. The fix for this issue is costly to the consumer. I have made several calls and sent several emails to Chrysler in regards to this matter and have brushed aside with basically "sorry about your luck".

- New Paris, IN, USA

May 192014

Pacifica 6-cyl

The 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica subframes are defective, they rust and corrode to the point of being unsafe to drive. This has been an issue that been reported to the NHTSA before. A twenty year old car's subframe should not rust and corrode to the point that the engine could fall out, much less a nine year old car like mine and many others who have reported this. Found out Chrysler first offered an extended warranty of 10yrs 150,000 for people who live in high salt usage states, such as Minnesota where I live. My car qualified so I called Chrysler and the guy said take it to the dealership and they will take care of it under warranty. Took it to mckays family Dodge in St. Cloud and glen ertl lifted it up, took pictures for Chrysler to see, and then told me my car wasn't under warranty. In the process of lifting my car up mckays somehow broke my motor mount which I was told later by my regular mechanic and it now made a clunking sound when I accelerate and feels very unsafe to drive. Glen told us to "prove it" that he had broke it, very good business practices. Called Chrysler back and they told us it was a new employee who told me it covered under warranty but it actually wasn't even though I was holding a letter from Chrysler saying all 2004-05 Pacifica's under the criteria I mentioned above were qualified for the repair under warranty. This is a dangerous problem that many others have reported and it needs to be addressed. Thank you for any help you can offer.

- Sauk Rapids, MN, USA

Apr 072014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while the vehicle was having routine maintenance performed, the technician mentioned that the sub frame was completely rusted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,818 and the current mileage was 141,164.

- Ware, MA, USA

Apr 302014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while being serviced by a private mechanic, it was found that the engine cradle was extremely rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 103,000.

- East Longmeadow, MA, USA

Mar 222014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle exhibited a loud, abnormal noise. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the sub-frame was completely corroded and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 150,000.

- North Bloomfield , OH, USA

Apr 172014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that during a routine maintenance, the dealer found that the sub frame was rusted and there was potential for the engine to fall out. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 162,000.

- Gardner, MA, USA

Apr 232014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Vehicle brought in for state safety inspection. During visual inspection of vehicle, obvious hole in frame found due to rust/corrosion. Vehicle is not covered under 6 week window Chrysler corporation currently covers. Vehicle is unsafe, fails state safety inspection and at this time owner will bear cost.

- Londonderry, NH, USA