CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

1.6

2005 Chrysler Pacifica body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 7 of 9)

Apr 182014

Pacifica 6-cyl

My 2005 Chrysler Pacifica has what appears to be abnormal corrosion on the frame. This was first brought to my attention by an investigative report by nbc5 Chicago. I had my car examined by a mechanic who took photographs and warned me of a safety issue related to this corrosion. I have reached out to Chrysler and the first response appeared to be a "scripted" response saying they were "sorry about the rust, but there is not recall", I have since escalated it within Chrysler. I would like to open a claim with NHTSA since this problem appears to be fairly wide spread and needs to be addressed by the manufacturer, before people start to get injured or lives are lost due to this serious product defect.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Apr 172014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that upon inspection, it was found that the frame was rusted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage and VIN was not available.

- Sand Lake, NY, USA

Apr 162014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Advised by local mechanic in December that rust was developing on undercarriage of engine. After numerous news reports and reading of info on the internet of similar problems called Chrysler customer care. I was told since it was not in the window of the cars that they are extending the warranty on rust to 10 years or 150K miles there was nothing they could do for me. If they do extend the warranty in the future they will let me know.

- Fox River Grove , IL, USA

Apr 102014

Pacifica 6-cyl

We took our car in to locate a possible leak and while investigating the leak, our repair shop noticed a golf ball size hole and rust on the passenger cradle arm and reccommended us not to drive. After researching I have found we are not the only owners of the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica with this issue.

- Laporte, IN, USA

Apr 032014

Pacifica

The forward engine cradle is completely rusted through. My mechanic said it is unsafe to drive.

- Huron, OH, USA

Apr 092014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for an unrelated service where they noticed that the front cross member was completely rusted. The dealer advised the vehicle was not safe to drive. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Metamora, IN, USA

Mar 262014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I own a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica which was purchased new. The car was built in December of 2004. The frame components supporting the engine are badly corroded, so much so that there is little structural support left on one side of the vehicle. It is no longer structurally sound. Chrysler has acknowledged this defect in cars made in a 6 week period between February and March of 2004, and awarded an extended warranty to these vehicles. My vehicle is exhibiting the same failure mechanism and Chrysler should acknowledge that this defect is a design and/or production flaw which should also be covered by the extended warranty.

- Middletown, RI, USA

Mar 102014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the engine cradle was severely corroded and exhibited holes. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 65,087.

- Dayer , IN, USA

Oct 052013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Started when backing and turning wheel to left a clunk occurred and left wheel felt 'stuck'. thought it may have had something to do with the extremely frigid temperatures of the season. A short time later I felt clunking under my feet when driving over dips or bumps at any speed. For some I thought it was again the idler arms or ball joints as I have had many many suspension repairs. Oddly it was never mentioned by anyone at this chain repair shop that the engine cradle was of any concern. I did bring my car in to a different chain repair shop for a determination of the clunking problem and was shown when putting the transmission into reverse the engine fell way down then was shown the very rusted out engine cradle and given an estimate of $1800 for repair with a used cradle. I then took the car to an independent repair shop to verify the need of the cradle..the charges to be slightly less. I called Chrysler and was told the car had to be taken to a Chrysler dealership repair shop for an estimate but that it was already known that there would be very little to no benefit. However if there was any monetary benefit it would not begin to cover any of the repair cost. By the way, the right rear quarter panel and lift door are rusted also. When I purchased the car 3 1/2 years ago the rust was beginning-I can now stick a finger thru the rust on the quarter panel. Have seen only one other Pacifica with surface rust. It's very embarrassing to me as not many cars on the road have any rust at all. Are my young passengers safe?? I am stuck with this money and possible death trap. I still have 1 1/2 years of payments. Bummer.

- Portage, MI, USA

Mar 132014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the frame was rusted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was confirmed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 126,422.

- Covington, PA, USA

Aug 112010

Pacifica

I was having my vehicle inspected and was informed that my engine cradle was rusting through. I checked out the problem on line and found out that this is a recognized problem with 2004 Pacifica's and that Chrysler has offered an extended warranty due to manufactures defect. However there is only a one month period (in-service date) that applies to the warranty. You can put your fist through the engine cradle. Engine vibrates and we are concerned that it will fall out of the car and kill someone. We wont let our kids drive it anymore and cant afford to replace it. It is apparent that this is a common safety problem that could result in serious injury and Chrysler not only made no attempt to contact buyers, but also fails to accept responsibility for the manufactures defect. Please do your jobs and protect us from this obvious defect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Mar 032014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Frame member supporting engine has developed sever rust compromising the structural integrity of the vehicle. Chrysler has acknowledged this problem with this part on vehicles produced prior by extending the warranty to 10 years 150,000 miles for this frame member. Chrysler will not provide any assistance with the repair to my vehicle.

- Hammonton, NJ, USA

Feb 262014

Pacifica

I have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica that has failed inspection due to extensive engine cradle rust. This vehicle's body and undercarriage is immaculate except for the engine cradle "K frame". I have contacted Chrysler and they are unwilling fix the problem because it is 20K miles over the power train warranty even though there is no other rust issues on the vehicle. After doing research, I have discovered that I am not alone in this battle! I am within 8 months of the previous recalled vehicles from Chrysler for this same issue and I believe that Chrysler should extend their recall as this is a potential dangerous issue that is growing with this specific model vehicle.

- York, ME, USA

Jan 272014

Pacifica

Our 2005 Chrysler Pacifica touring model did not pass a state vehicle safety inspection because of extensive corrosion holes and frame rust. The engine cradle support has rust holes and is severely weakened, and the areas below the rocker panels underneath the car have rusted through. The vehicle was purchased new by my father, and has always been garaged and well maintained. The car has only 77,100 miles on it, and yet now is considered structurally unsafe to drive. Researching online, I found that Chrysler knew of the unusual corrosion problems with this vehicle. They acknowledged the rust problem by quietly issuing an extraordinary "extended 10 year / 150,000 mile warranty" for Pacifica model years 2004-2005. They subsequently amended this warranty to limit their responsibility to the front engine cradle only (reference: X26, warranty bulletin dated March 16, 2012), and further reduced their exposure by only providing this warranty coverage to vehicles manufactured between February 23, 2004, to March 31, 2004 - an implausibly short time frame given their acknowledged corrosion problem. The Chrysler customer assistance center told me they would not provide any assistance, since the manufacture date for this car was June, 2005. It is inexcusable that a well-maintained 2005 vehicle with only 77,000 miles could be rendered structurally unsafe due to corrosion. It is absurd to suggest that their corrosion problem only affected one part manufactured only within a 36 day window. Having spoken with several mechanics and insurance adjusters, extensive underbody panel rust and frame corrosion are extremely common with this model year. Structural corrosion is a known defect with this car. It's a huge financial loss for us. It also a dangerous safety "time bomb". they know it is. Chrysler should assist in fixing these vehicles quickly, or be forced to recall them.

- Bedford, NH, USA

Feb 142014

Pacifica 6-cyl

www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/minivan-owners-want-Chrysler-to-concede-rust-problems-241535881.html the left side sub frame of my vehicle is corroded, making it unsafe to drive. I have contacted my local Chrysler dealer as well as Chrysler customer care about this issue. At this time they say there is nothing they can do for me. When I spoke with the customer service representative from Chrysler he informed me that there have been many other owners reporting the same issue and they are looking into it and that there may possibly be a recall in the future. The repair cost for this issue is around $3000, which I do not feel the many people who are affected by this manufacture?S defect should have to be responsible for. Chrysler has selectively reimbursed people with this same issue, as you can see from the attached link to the nbc news report. As this vehicle is my main mode of transportation my family and myself it is unnerving to think what could happen if this situation is not addressed. Thank you for your time and consideration with this situation.

- Vineland, NJ, USA

Feb 132014

Pacifica 6-cyl

The front sub frame that holds the engine has a massive rust hole on the passenger side it started off the size of a golf ball and has turned into a 8 by 3 rectangle I have owned the car for two years and this is the result.there was a warranty extension on this vehicle but they only considered it from the date mfg 2/23/04 to 3/31/04 a six week time frame as the vehicles affected by it. I experience vibration while driving. Mine was mfg 10/04.

- Athol, MA, USA

Jul 012011

Pacifica 6-cyl

My 2005 Chrysler Pacifica's built in July 2004 subframe (engine cradle) is rusting through a lot. I have read numerous complaints about this issue and feel that there should have been a recall on this component. I don't think that this part should fail after being only a few years old and 65000 miles and being driven under normal driving conditions. In my opinion this component could possibly result in an engine falling out of it's seat and possibly cause a crash.

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Dec 142013

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while having the tires changed, the mechanic noticed excessive rust on the sub frame. The contact called the manufacturer regarding the rust and was advised that the vehicle was not under warranty so there was nothing they could do to assist. The contact did not have any repairs performed to the sub frame. The failure mileage was 86,000.

- Chantilly, VA, USA

Jul 022012

Pacifica 6-cyl

Transmount and subframe replacement needed.

- Washington Crossing, PA, USA

Nov 132013

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the sub frame was corroded. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Ebensburg, PA, USA