2008 Chrysler Sebring electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Sebring:

2008 Chrysler Sebring Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 012014

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was restarted and the horn sounded independently. The contact also mentioned that the TPMS warning light illuminated. Upon inspection, the contact noticed that there was a short circuit in the fuse box. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 08V152000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 67,000.

- Edgewood, MD, USA

Oct 232013

Sebring 4-cyl

Since purchasing this vehicle last October, the instrument cluster lights has stopped working on a few occasions. At some point they would work again momentarily but only to stop again. Only a portion of the cluster would remain lit. The instrument cluster lights are currently not working on our vehicle.

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA

Apr 012013

Sebring 4-cyl

The car sometimes stalls. On several occasions, mostly during or after it rains, it will just cut off. It cuts off at stop lights and while I'm driving. There are no indications on the dashboard before it cuts off. It always starts back up after each incident.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 032014

Sebring 4-cyl

Vehicle came to a complete stall while taking left- hand turn on intersection @ ~15mph. It now shows the indicator light for the engine randomly and stalls somewhat frequently at low speeds. Lastly, the trans is slipping rigorously.

- Westland, MI, USA

Nov 062013

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated that the engine failed to immediately start. The battery had been drained and the cruise control function also failed. The vehicle was not inspected by an independent mechanic or dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V152000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 64000.

- Moscow, ID, USA

Oct 032011

Sebring 6-cyl

Bought certified used 2008 Chrysler Sebring convertible 7/11 with 18,000 miles. Fall, 2011 radio stuck on one am channel regardless of selecting am, fm, or sirius. Dealer offered to sell me new radio. After radio not used for a week, started to function okay again. July, 2012 headlight on message and alarm upon opening door, daytime, no key in ignition, no headlights on, interior dash display lights on but dim like for nighttime. 12/12 interior lights would not shutoff automatically when I exited car, switch not in on position. Ongoing: Auto brightness display on radio does not work. Top down on key fob does not work. Winter, 2013 stalled twice at red lights, also had clunking noise when turning. Dealer said steering rack was worn and leaking and had to be replaced (35,000 miles) and was not under warranty. Dealer also cleaned throttle plate and fuel injectors for stalling problem. Even after this service car continued to stall, sometimes catching itself and speeding up which causes car to surge forward. As of today, 8/17/13 car has 40,050 miles on it and I wonder what's next.

- East Greenwich, RI, USA

Sep 152012

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled. The vehicle also erroneously accelerated while the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis however, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure but rebooted the electrical system as a precaution. The failure recurred intermittently. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 08V152000 (electrical system) and was advised by the manufacturer was that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Apr 042011

Sebring 4-cyl

Took my 2008 Chrysler Sebring to have recall part trans shift interlock spring replaced. When I arrived to pick up the vehicle the battery was dead. The service dept including the manager said the battery must have gone dead while they were replacing the recalled part. All service people including the manager did not even want to jump the vehicle so that we could bring it home. The vehicle had never had a dead battery before this. Ever since the part was replaced the battery keeps going dead. Battery was replaced about 3 months ago and still have the same problem. We get no assistance from the local dealership except for them to say they are not responsible.

- Barstow, CA, USA

Jun 262013

Sebring 6-cyl

So far my 2008 Sebring has turned off while driving twice. I was slowing down from 30mph for a stop light and it turned off and was luckily able to utilize the brakes if not I would have rear ended the vehicle in front of me, but as for the steering, it was unresponsive. However, I turned my car back on as if nothing happen until the second time it stalled while turning into my street. Same issue occurred (no steering, but brakes were ok.)car stalls once again good thing my car turns back on immediately. Its was dangerous only for the fact that oncoming traffic would be unable to see me stalled there because road forms a hill over the canal, since soon after I went passed over the canal my street entrance is more or less 20ft from the canal, it could be a blind spot.

- Alton, TX, USA

May 212013

The electronic throttle light is continuously coming on even after repairs. The car will ride find and then all of a sudden cut off with no warning other than the light appearing. Also it stalls and you can be in the middle of traffic which is definitely safety hazardous. I've notice that this problem has occurred to thousand and to my surprise no recall.

- Burnham, IL, USA

Sep 012011

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact also stated that the vehicle failed to start intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the spark plugs. The vehicle was also taken to a private mechanic who replaced the alternator two times and the battery but the failure recurred. The failure was reported to the manufacturer. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 08V152000 (electrical system: Electrical), however, the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was 45,000. The current mileage was 60,000.

- West Seneca , NY, USA

Apr 162013

I was driving in stop and go traffic and started speeding up due to less traffic. I was going 60 mph when my car stopped accelerating and started making this weird revving noise (the kind when you are parked or in neutral), my warning light came on for the electrical panel. I then pulled over because it was not going any faster than 35 mph. Just letting it sit it was making those same noises. I turned the car off and restarted it. The light when away and it was able to drive again. It had a little issue getting back up to speed but overall it went back to normal.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Feb 282013

Front driver seat started feeling loose, airbag light came on, low tire light came on and check oil light would come on every time car is started. A few days later the car didn't feel right and started making a loud knocking noise, took it to the mechanic and found out that tensioner belt became loose causing damage to the car. I had to get a new alternator, tensioner & pull, and transmission flushed/serviced as well as the power steering. Not very happy with this 2008 Sebring!!!!!

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jan 282013

Sebring 4-cyl

On Monday 1/28/2013 after a heavy morning of snowing and raining, I began to run errands. All of sudden my car 2008 Chrysler Sebring stalled as I was driving. I started the car immediately back up with no problems however shortly afterwards pulling up to a traffic light the car stalled again. Everything in the car goes off as if someone has turned the ignition key to off position. This is very dangerous as there are no warning to the possibility the car is about to stall. Tuesday 1/29/13 I took my car to a local repair chain as it continued to stall and they reported not finding anything electrical wrong with the car nor mechanical. However, they suggested that when cars stall sometimes it may be the spark plugs may need to be replaced. So based on their suggestion I had the spark plugs replaced/tune up. Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem as I drove home car stalled. On Wednesday 1/20/13, I took the car to another trusted mechanic and they reported the problem being electrical and manufactured due to how the car totally shuts down and not registering with the dash board a problem. On 1/31/13 I had the car towed to the Chrysler dealership only for them to confirm, so far, what the other two mechanics already told me, its an electrical problem that is not showing up on dash. For three days the car stalled aprx. 11 times at traffic lights and/or in motion. I have read there was a recall on 2007-2008 Chrysler Sebring's however when I called Chrysler I was told that did not include my car due to it being manufactured a month later than the recall cars. However, the recall notice describes exactly what is happening to my car. I have also communicated with 2 other people to whom have complained about the same stalling issues with the same year and model car. I just hope it does not take someone losing their life before changes are made to solve this problem.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Nov 082012

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated while driving approximately 50 mph with the radio and headlights activated, the entire instrument panel began to illuminate intermittently. The radio and speedometer would not function properly. In addition, the headlights became dim. There was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 08V152000 (electrical system:wiring); however the VIN was ineligible. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The vehicle had not been repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Kevil, KY, USA

May 262012

Sebring 6-cyl

While driving the check engine light came on and the engine stalled. When tested the engine code came back as electrical short. The dealership where I purchased the car did not fix the problem but cleared the engine code. A few weeks later the check engine light came back on. While traveling at 50 mph, and coming to a stop, the engine stopped running and the brakes failed to stop the car. After going thru a red light another car broadsided my car.

- Kearns, UT, USA

Dec 082011

After I received work done on the electrical-recall, my car keeps on stalling. This can be very scary and has almost caused several accidents. My car should not be shutting off while driving. I did not have this problem until after the recall was fixed on my car. This needs to be fixed before someone gets hurt.

- Levering, MI, USA

Jan 052012

Sebring 4-cyl

Went out to car to go to the store unlocked my car with my remote and horn started sounding for no reason. Tried to press unlock/lock with remote horn still sounding. At that point I got back in my car tried shutting the doors and starting the vehicle alarm still sounding. After about 10 minutes I kept messing with the remote trying to shut off the horn finally the horn stopped. After a huge embarrassment and several by-standers trying to assist me in shutting the horn off I had to leave my car unlocked while I went into the grocery store. Quickly raced through the store got what I needed went back out to my vehicle started the engine horn continuously went off as I drove home. This is continually happening to me as I drive my car. I feel that this is a safety issue that Chrysler needs to repair free of charge.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Nov 142011

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated that the vehicle would stall at any time, the exterior and interior lights would flash on and off and the cruise control became inoperative. The dealer and manufacturer were notified and advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 08V152000 (electrical system:wiring). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jun 172011

Sebring 4-cyl

A throttle control warning light appears on the dash off and on at intermittent times the car loses power and dies without warning. It has died on the highway several times so far, but will restart after a few minutes. It seems to happen when the fuel is less than half way full more than any other time and/or when traveling uphill. RPM dial on the car jumps erratically just before the throttle warning light appears. Problem has not occurred while traveling at less than 45 mph. Afraid that the problem will cause an accident, if it happens when another vehicle is traveling behind me.

- Espanola, NM, USA