CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

9.4

$5,082.00

1. replace engine (103 reports)
  3. replace engine or junk it (10 reports)
  4. Dodge recalls due to design flaw (4 reports)
  5. gave to charity (2 reports)
  6. replace cowl to prevent engine hydrolock (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Apr 182015

Durango Limited 5.7L

Left vehicle sit in rain for a week, while on vacation. Upon returning the motor had a loud knock. Mechanic states rod failure on number five cylinder, 7000 dollars to replace with rebuilt motor. Never again buy a Dodge. I figured a hemi could take more than a little rain water but I guess not.

- , Columbus, USA

Jan 062015

Durango ST 5.7L Hemi

I started my truck upon leaving work. It started but was making a loud banging noise. After a short time it made a loud crunch and stopped completely. When the driver loaded it onto the flat bed I found the top of a rod with a wrist pin through it on the ground.

Prior to the engine failure I would have misfire codes and it would run poorly when it rained or I got it washed. I found out from the engine re-manufacturer that the windshield wiper cowl on these trucks warps letting all the water from the windshield pour on top of the engine. If you have a deteriorated intake manifold gasket or a loos plug water gets into the combustion chamber causing hydro-lock and engine failure. There is a replacement cowl available to prevent this.

I found a new re-manufactured motor for $2050 with warranty and I have a buddy with a shop that will install it cheaply. I will be replacing the windshield wiper cowl as well.

- , Rochester, NY, USA

Apr 272015

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

We bought this 2004 Durango with 105,000 for a second family vehicle. It was large enough for myself, my husband, and our 4 children. All records were given to us by the original owner. It had 104,000 miles on it, but it was so clean and well cared for. 3 weeks after owning it, I tried to start it to take my daughter to school. It made the scariest sound ever. After having it towed, we were told, that it threw a rod and destroyed the engine. Haven't even made the first payment. We were faced with an impossible situation. If we scrapped it, we still have to pay back our loan on a car we didn't even have any more! We reluctantly decided to replace the engine. At this point, I am sick over having invested so much in a vehicle that clearly isn't worth it. Shame on Dodge for letting his happen to anyone, let alone hundreds of people. This will be the last Dodge for us.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Apr 202015

Durango Limited 5.7L V8 Hemi

Went shopping with a friend in the states, crossed the border to come back into Canada and within 45 seconds it happened. Stopped at a light, everything was fine. Light turns green, I accelerate and it sounds like something's dragging under my car. I pull over, turn it off, pop the hood.. It's pretty smoky. Look under and see the oil dripping. Dropped a rod and blown engine. I'm pissed. I bought this car used less than a year ago, and this is the SECOND time this has happened. The dealership replaced the engine under the 3 month warranty last time...

I'm screwed now.

- , Langley, BC, Canada

Mar 012015

Durango lx

Car had stopped surging after a novel rewire job, still chugged when wet, thought it was electrical but could not find it. Started car...heard banging. Took to mechanic, and rod had bent....car never overheated, abused..oil changes regular. Disaster. I have a $5,000 boat anchor. I am a school teacher about to retire and cannot afford to replace and why rebuild since apparently this is a flaw and next one will do the same...

I keep my cars until they die a natural death but have only had this one 4 years.......this is a financial disaster to me.

- , Altoona, FL, USA

Mar 102015

Durango 5.7L Hemit

uuggghhh... So I knew this was coming one day. Driving, heard a loud noise thought it was the bus in front of me or I ran something over... nope, threw a rod, engine totaled at 126,000 miles. I have always had the oil changed and have taken very good care of my truck. I did have an issue last year where it locked up, but my mechanic was able to fix that. I have read about the problems with running the truck in the rain, I have had issues as well, she felt like she wanted to stall all the time in the rain. I did fix the crack in the plastic under the windshield wipers and that seemed to help. My truck is in great shape other than the motor problem. She will now go to salvage for $1000. I bought a used Maxda CX9 to replace my Durango. No more Dodge for me :(

- , Wenonah, NJ, USA

Jan 032015

Durango

This is the review of the common problem with the engine.

- , Hammond, IN, USA

Jan 032015

Durango

This problem with the truck stalling in the rain was quite a problem. Took it in to get looked at found nothing wrong. Now fast forward to Jan 2015 after a thawed out winter day and a early morning rain the truck would not start, not even turn over. It finally turned over with a loud bang. Had a mechanic come look at it said the motor was blown. I have a large family with five child. WE DO NOT HAVE THE $5,000+ to fix. What a wasted investment.

- , Hammond, IN, USA

Mar 242015

Durango 5.7L

I first noticed that my car would stall out when it rains or when I go through car washes. Then I started hearing some noise. I had my car checked out they said number six and seven was misfiring. I was planning to get a tune up to change my spark plugs due to the rain and the water getting down into my motor. Some seal is not properly placed, so the rain is leaking down. I really don't understand about how the rain is getting down there, but apparently the rain is getting down into the motor. Going to work I hear a loud noise. Oil started running down my truck. My mechanic came and said that my truck is done. I have a big behind hole in my motor because of the rain and water some kind of rod was bent and broke off causing it to go into my motor. I feel as though Dodge should have recall this problem. I do not have money to fix my truck. I work far away. I purchased my truck a few years ago and no way my truck should need a new engine right now...a class action lawsuit needs to be filed on them

- , Vineland, NJ, USA

Feb 062015

Durango SLT

My son was driving my 2004 Durango on the interstate when he heard a clicking noise, then it stalled out and died on the side of the road and had to be towed 53 miles home to our local mechanic! It has stalled several times when raining over the past few months but I thought it was because I hit a puddle or something. I didn't realize until reading all of the complaints that this is a real issue with these vehicles.

The mechanic just called me and the engine is definitely blown/locked up! They have a used one w/ 86k miles they can replace it with for $3,000 (the mechanic is a longtime friend) so I think it's a decent deal. I bought this truck brand new in 2004 and overall it's been a good vehicle (besides having to replace the a/c 2 times) but I'm not sure if it's worth fixing or just towing it to the salvage yard. Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

I really hope Dodge acknowledges this problem. My son was in the vehicle w/ 4 friends and this could have caused a major accident, especially since it died during rush hour traffic!

- , Orange City, FL, USA

Jan 132015

Durango Limited 5.7L V8

I am the original owner of a 2004 Dodge Durango. Without warning my engine blew after it rained. I called and filed a complaint with Dodge. I am very frustrated and pissed. I will be buying a Japanese vehicle. After reading complaints in this forum I am now aware that this is NOT an uncommon problem... Thanks Dodge!

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 292014

Durango XLT 5.7L Hemi

Well, it happened to me!

Purchased 2004 Durango with Hemi 5.7 new in 2004 currently 135K miles. No issues or problems EVER until I tried to start it on Monday morning..Large bang and sounded like a hammer in a fan...piston rod through the block, a hole that you can put your finger in, oil all over.

Dealer maintained, oil change every 3000 miles, towed a boat 5 miles to the ramp in summer time.

For the record, service shop said "not enough complaints to issue a recall". Off the record, "this has happened quite a bit"

Dodge service number is 800-992-1997 to lodge you complaint.

Resolution Options: used engine for $4000, no warranty or new engine $8000 or $300 for dealer trade in or try to sell it on my own. Donating it to charity.

This vehicle was properly maintained and properly driven as a third vehicle..no way can I trust a Hemi Dodge again. This is not a rant, just my reality.

- , Delaware, OH, USA

Nov 132014

Durango SLT Hemi 5.7L

My child and I are on disability. And when I received some money to get a used car I was very happy. I only had a limited budget so I wanted to get the safest car for my money seeing I had lost a love one to a car crash. So I purchased the Dodge Durango, I was in love.

One and a half months out after getting it I started having problems, seeing how I didn't have an extended warranty and I brought as is I had to pay out of pocket for repairs. It started with squealing real loud. I was told it was the pulley so I paid to have that replaced. After a week the squealing started again I took it back it was then I was told to get rid of the car but with no money and limited income it was impossible. Shortly after that it rained and I went to start my car it wouldn't start it would stall every time it got wet.

Now at this point I'm getting worried! But when it started up again a day later I calm down some and decide its time to look for away to get this problem fixed. Because this is my only means to get me and my son to our doctor appointments having no car was not an option. Well one day I go out to start my car and I hear a loud boom and then loud knocking noise. At this point it was one of the coldest days this year so far and I was already running late for the doctors i was sooo mad I was crying.

The car was taken to the auto shop and I was shown where the piston blew a hole through my engine. I was told by mechanic that this was a big problem for the 2004 Dodge Durango and that even if I had the engine replaced which would cost me 7, 000. Dollars since it was a 5.7 hemi engine that there was no promise the exact same thing would'nt happen again. I don't have that kind of money! So I called everywhere to get help.

I found out online that Chrysler knew of this problem and refused to fix it. I Am sooooo pissed off!!!!! If there is a class action suit I want in. Now I have a huge paper weight sitting outside my door.with no money to fix it I can barely afford food its sad to see what the big companies do to the poor little because we r the ones really affected by it. The ones who cant afford to buy a new car.

- , Atlantic City, NJ, USA

Mar 012014

Durango Limited 5.7L V8

My wife and I experienced a motor failure due to the hydrolock problem as described by others. When to turn it off one day, and bam... there goes the motor. Had to replace it for approximately $5800.00. This is clearly a design problem.

- , Germantown, MD, USA

Nov 252014

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

Driving home from work there was a loud bang from my engine, pulled over to take a look, nothing apparent, started engine, heard clacking. Called for tow to nearest service shop-was told that my engine was blown, $4500 to $5500 for replacement engine, I am sick.

Thanks Dodge people. Never again for Chrysler products!!!!!!

- , Blue Point, NY, USA

Dec 102014

Durango V8 Hemi

The engine began stalling when it rained about 2 years ago. Had to do the two foot method of driving which is so much fun with a Hemi. Three days ago I went to warm up the car and it sounded like the engine was going to fall out. Had the car towed to the shop and they said the engine would need to be replaced. I have seen many complaints with the same problem on this particular truck. An engine should not need to be replaced at 85,000 miles.

- , Scotch Plains, NJ, USA

May 302013

Durango SLT 5.7L Hemi

Every time I wash the Durango it would try to cut off or not idle good. One day filled the gas tank up and when out of town, wash the truck and on my way back it started smoking real bad and cut off on me, got it home.

I brought this vehicle new in 2004, so I called the Dodge main office and they didn't do anything about it, because they said they had not receive any other compliant about this happen to anyone else. I always keep the oil change on time and all the maintenance up. I was really piss about this.

- , Fort Madison, IA, USA

Nov 042014

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

After having some time off of work with my family, I went to start the Durango up to head out for a bit and I had used the command start to get it warm for the family. I opened the door to the house and was hearing a very loud knock coming from the truck. It sounded like there were like rocks in the engine. I turned it off, opened the hood, and was looking around the engine bay but could not see anything due to it getting late.

The next day I went to look at what was going on and there was a large oil slick under the truck.

I started to look under the truck and saw a hole in the block. I was reading on the net that this was happening to this model of truck after rain or washing the truck. It had snowed here and had warmed up to melt it so it seems like it's the same thing as everyone else. Pissed me off, made my last payment in August. Now I need to buy a new car.

Thanks Dodge. I will go buy a Chev from now on.

- , Calgary, Alberta, canada

Jun 192014

Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L

My 2004 Durango Hemi engine also failed at about 145K miles. Other than that it was a great car. I wanted to get to 200 or 250K so I am disappointed. I gave the car to a charity. My issue is that the two dealers that I towed the car to that had serviced it before as well as Dodge should have had some type of engine credit so that I could have replaced, better afforded, what they all should have been aware was a 2004 Durango issue. Instead they wanted $7K-$8 to replace a problem they knew they had issues with. So I liked the car, had a good run with it, just disappointed in Dodge overall from a customer service and customer retention point of view.

- , Ridgefield, CT, USA

Oct 152014

Durango LT 5.7L V8

I bought the 2004 Durango in 2006 which just came off a 24 month lease and the vehicle was in mint condition. I continued to keep it in mint condition even in Ohio through this year. How many 2004 Durango's from the Midwest were on the road without or low RUST and low mileage, Yes, I took great care of my Durango. Drove the Durango everyday to drop off and pick up the kids.

Wednesday morning I went to start and the engine sounded like there were Rocks inside. I had to turn it off immediately and have it towed to the dealer, they told me today the engine was not fixable and a re-manufactured engine would be $4950.00 installed. They stated this has happened many times on the 2004-2005 Durango and it would not be worth fixing and the probability of happening again was a crap-shoot.

Thanks Dodge, I can't afford a new car right now, I thought my Durango would at least get 100,000 plus miles and last me another 5-10 years. My first and last Chrysler product.

My 2002 Chevrolet Conversion Van has never had a single problem, normal maintenance, runs and looks like a champ.

- , Cuyahoga Falls, OH, USA