CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

9.4

$5,082.00

1. replace engine (103 reports)
  3. replace engine or junk it (10 reports)
  4. Dodge recalls due to design flaw (4 reports)
  5. gave to charity (2 reports)
  6. replace cowl to prevent engine hydrolock (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Oct 012014

Durango SLT 5.7L Hemi V8

I Just called Dodge 1-800-992-1997 and talked to the rudest woman ever with a heavy foreign accent...She asked for a brief background on my car. I told her the basics, oil changed every 3,000. No towing. No off-road. No racing. One driver car. etc... All True...

She asked me for the last 8 numbers of my vin. After sitting on hold for about 20 minutes she put me on conference call with the service manager "Mike" where I brought my Durango to have serviced in Tomsriver, Nj and of course "Mike" has NO records nor any recollection of me ever bringing my Durango in for stalling, when in reality I brought it in 3 times, because it would stall while driving and told him I almost got killed merging into traffic...His records only show me bringing it in for a just a check engine light...

-That's not the Reason I Brought It in.. He is a Liar...

They told me at the time it didn't stall when they drove it and no codes came up on their computer...

Now I have a p.o.s. near-mint condition 2004 Durango 5.7 84,000 miles I had new tires, brakes and oil change done last month, but now it has a seized engine... I was driving at 35 miles per hour my car stalled, but this time wouldn't start again. My husband had it towed to his work and the mechanic there said the motor is seized and in all his years has never seen anything like this. Full clean oil, No anti-freeze in the oil, Coolant full, No leaks, etc...

- , Seaside Hghts, NJ, USA

Jun 192014

Durango Limited 5.7L

Call DODGE to Document your Engine failure!! 1800-992-1997 fast and easy!! Engine would stall while driving without any noise or warning... After a rainy night got into Durango to start it, once key turned ... Heard the loudest noise! Turned off and now has been diagnosed with Blown ENGINE..... will cost $5,000++ to fix it.... Called DODGE... they say people write on forums but fail to call them .. SO PLEASE CALL DODGE NOW, THEY ANSWER QUICK.. WE NEED THIS DOCUMENTED!! 1-800-992-1997.

I have the same story as you all... changed oil every 3,000 Miles and babied that car... Now it will sit until I am able to repair it... So afraid IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN as what will prevent water from being drawn into the engine via throttle body and filling a cylinder blowing another Rod??? FIX THIS DODGE !! PLEASE CALL 1-800-992-1997

- , Cheboygan, MI, USA

Aug 132014

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

I have a 2004 Dodge Durango 4X4 LIMITED... Kept oil changed at 3000 miles each time. Problem started with vehicle stalling in the rain and car washing...Didnt have a clue what this was..Until I open my hood rain the water hoes over the windshield and water was leaking right down on top of the motor. The cladding wasn’t holding it back...My wife went on a trip to SC from GA...With all fluids checked before the trip...2 days after she comes back the Durango wont start up in the driveway. I open the hood check everything and when I came to the dipstick, I pulled it and no oil at all...Not a drop...ENGINE SEIZED...I AM PISSED and will never by another Dodge again

- , Warner Robins, GA, USA

Jul 012014

Durango Limited 4.7L

Just had my 2004 Durango (75,000 mi) analysed at a dealership. Engine has a hole in the block!! All high way miles, change oil every 3000 miles. Got off the turnpike two days ago, engine shaking. Checked the error codes(P 0175), had too rich of a fuel mixture. Took to the dealer...hole in the block, leaking oil.

Many on this site have had the the same complaints. How does an iron block develop a hole!? Have never had any issues prior. Why is there not a class action law suit for these engine failures?

- , Sebago/Denmark, ME, USA

Apr 012014

Durango SLT Hemi

My family was driving on I95 in New Jersey and all of a sudden we hear a knocking sound as we tried to get over 2 lanes to pull aside we noticed the truck was slowing down. It was a matter of seconds that could of cost my family there life and my youngest child being 11 months old. If we didn't reach where we did all that on coming traffic would of slammed right into us. I am disgusted with Dodge that there is no recall on this problem. We found out the rod was broke and needs a new engine. A vehicle should not just break down just like that. I am taking a class action law suit against dodge for not recalling the hemi engines as there is a true problem. There are sooo many complaints and they have done nothing about it. My family was lucky but I guess Dodge is waiting for someone to be killed.

- , Laurel, MD, USA

Jul 222014

Durango SLT Limited Hemi 5.7L V8 Hemi

I have absolutely loved my Durango... Never have had ANY issues with it until now!! My Durango has NEVER been in the shop for anything except routine maintenance. Went to start it and it sounded like my motor was falling out of my car!! I had just driven it! As a matter of fact had just returned from vacation the week before. Ran like a dream! So this was a complete shock! Called a wrecker and had it taken to the shop and the next day was told that it was hydro locked!!! WHAT!!! Now I'm looking at a new motor! Called Dodge main office and they said that they couldn't do anything because they hadn't had any complaints!! REALLY!! We contacted our local news station and they are investigating!! PEOPLE CALL DODGE!! Better yet get in touch with WSOC.TV action 9 news!

- , Hickory, NC, USA

May 212014

Durango EX 5.7lhemi

I have taken great care of my 2004 Dodge Durango. The dealership has always complimented me on the good condition of the vehicle. I have had 97% of all work and oil changes done at dealership. The vehicle began to stall after rain or in car wash wherein dealership did not inform me of the leak in area between hood and windshield that allows engine to get wet too which at my last oil change I heard I needed a new water pump because gasket was leaking. And yet after having the water pump changed, I observed that the old water pump appeared in almost pristine condition and the gasket looked new with no seal breakage.

I drove the Durango briefly in town the following day with no problems (drove about 2 miles at 25-30 mph) but on the second day, while driving 60mph in the highway, the engine knocked and shook. I pulled off road, had vehicle towed, and found out today that the engine is blown with possibility of rod damage.

I am a single mother with no transportation and no money to pay for a new engine (I was given estimated cost at the least $3500-$4000).

I have new tires (at cost of $950), new water pump (at cost of $120), new windshield (at cost of $500) within last eight months. For what, a vehicle in great condition with an engine that was very clean to be sitting at the local shop.

I realize the mileage is high...but do not doubt for a second the care this vehicle received.

Now...what the heck do I do?

- , Aurora, NE, USA

Jun 232014

Durango 5.7L Hemi

Bought a beautiful 2004 Dodge Durango off a friend who always took great care of it. Had some miles but they were all highway miles. After a year I noticed when I started the truck it would make a 10-15 sec metallic noise from the passenger side of the motor. Not loud but noticeable. So like anyone, I changed the oil that only had 1500 miles on it. This truck had never hit 3000 miles without fresh oil and filter. The noise was still there.

I told a friend about it and he said " UNLOAD THAT %&$#% TRUCK TODAY". He told me how his sister has a 2004 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi that had the same exact noise right before she started it and the P.O.S. threw a rod right there in her driveway. He begged me to research the forums for proof, which I did, then immediately parked the truck. Our plan was to trade it in ASAP. I started the Durango to move it so I could mow the lawn and it made a CLANG CLANG CLANG noise and I immediately shut it down to no avail. I AM the latest victim of the 2004 Dodge Durango Hydolock issue in which CHRYSLER refuses to take blame for.

I will never buy another American made car again.... Anyone want to buy a $6000.00 lawn ornament? Take my advice and the advice of everyone on this forum, BOYCOT Dodge because they are SH*T !!!!

- , Melrose, NY, USA

Feb 032014

Durango 5.7L Hemi

I have bought numerous Dodge vehicle throughout my life and currently have two Dodge vehicles now. One that has 192,000 miles 5.7 Hemi 1500 and Durango 5.7 Hemi. The Durango has 113,000 miles. Last Monday my wife was coming home in the rain and she heard a loud noise. Yep, the engine blew. I am hoping that Dodge can do something for me as I have owned 6 Dodge vehicles over the past 15 years. If not this will be the last Dodge I ever buy. Will keep you updated. As you can see with the vehicle mileage on the 1500 you can see that I take care of my vehicles.

- , Charlotte C.H., VA, USA

Jun 192014

Durango 5.7L Hemi

I've wanted a Durango since we test drove one in 04 but we couldn't afford the price of a new one at that time. I've always been a GM owner all my life. I had own an Envoy that was totaled in an accident 2 years ago and wanted another SUV to replace it and found this 2004 duango at $11,000 so I grabbed it.Long story short ,I had been noticing when I would take it through car washers it would start to hesitate like it wanted to cut off or needed a tune up or something but it would go away once I got driving again. On this day I drove it to work and had no problems at all with it,it drove very smoothly. It rained all day while I was at work and when I went to start it up clack,clack,clack,clack pin,pin,pin I shut it down as I was very surprise and pissed cause I know I've kept this vehicle very well maintained and couldn't beleive this was happening. I started it again and yes this was happening to my vehicle I had it towed to my mechanic who called me the next day and told me the worst news I could hear I need a new engine. My blood pressure shot up to the top. I'm so pissed I don't know what to do. I still owe $4500.00 on this truck and now have to find $4000 to replace an engine. this site is good for me cause hearing how Chrysler/Dodge is responding to this common defective problem with there engines which is the heart of a vehicle,make me vow to trade this one in asap and never,never buy another one of their products again and I'm going to alert everyone on my media pages about this customer treatment maybe we can steer people away from buying products from this too big for us company.My 1st Dodge will now be my last Dodge. signed very disappointed.

- , Mpls, MN, USA

Jun 062014

Durango Limited 5.7L V8 Hemi

I Purchased a 2004 Dodge Durango for school since I drive from Seattle to Spokane and I needed a 4x4. I went to turn it on one morning and the engine started knocking REALLY LOUD. I am the son of a mechanic so I always checked oil and no weird sounds came from the engine till this day. It had been sitting for 4 days in the rain. I had no idea how this could have happen.

I called my dad and he said it's just not possible so I looked it up and that's when I found out about the "Hydrolock" issue on these 2004 Durangos. I'm a broke student who spent all his savings on this truck and now it broke on me because of an issue that DODGE made and aren't owing up to it. I will never buy a Dodge in my life again. I feel raped!!!!!

- , Seattle, WA, USA

May 112014

Durango Limted 5.7L V8 Hemi

So this morning I walk out to my durango, turn the key, it starts up but it's ridiculously loud then KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK BOOOOM! Oil is pouring out of it, chunks of rusted metal are flying out the bottom and my durango is dead with a giant hole in one side of its engine. What the hell happened here?! Then I jump on google and find your page with 80-some-odd complaints of the same problem already on here and the depressing news that dodge/chrysler won't do a damn thing about it. Awesome. I can't afford a new engine. Or a new car. Or to be out of work because of lack of car. Thank god this happened in my driveway and not on the road with my babies in the car. And thanks Dodge for screwing me royally.

Sincerely, former Dodge fan

- , Potsdam, NY, USA

Apr 182014

Durango Limited 5.7L V8 Hemi

Well, I'm the latest chump that is the victim of the 2004 Dodge Durango hydrolock problem. For those not in the know - there is a defect in the engine cowl seals up at the base of the windshield that allows rain water coming down the windshield to flow onto the engine block. Eventually, this allows water to enter into the cylinders through the air intake manifold. Once the water is in there, the condition is set for total engine destruction.

It usually occurs when after you have the truck parked outside for awhile and there is rain (ours was at an outdoor parking lot in Seattle). When you go to start your truck, the piston cannot compress the water and the engine is effectively seized (hydrolock). The best way to get the engine to turn over is to remove all spark plugs and manually turn the engine. This will push out the liquids in the cylinder(s). Problem is that often the damage has already been done to the rods when the truck was still operating (prior to the full-blown hydrolock). The rods fail and often punch holes in the engine block.

You get no warning that this condition is happening. You just go to start your truck one day and 'boom' game over. Now we have an engine that is toast thanks to a design defect that Dodge refuses to warn owners about, or fix, or stand behind its product. So now salvaging what was otherwise a perfectly good truck for parts. Will NEVER buy another Dodge product as a matter of principle. Thank you Dodge, Daimler Chrysler for sticking it to the public.....

If you have a 2004 Durango - sell it quick. Or better yet, trade it in at your local Dodge dealer and let them try to sell that piece of crap.

Fool me once, shame on you..........

A fool won't get fooled again (G.W. Bush)

- , Edmonds, WA, USA

Jul 192013

Durango SLT 5.7L V8

Both my father-in-law and my wife's grandfather worked for and retired with Chrysler. We always bought American made. We always thought we would continue to buy Chrysler vehicles due to our family loyalty.

The engine failed @ 94k miles and we always took great care of our Durango. Bottom line, Chrysler said we were out of warranty and did nothing to help us replace the engine. We had to wait 6 months to have a short block arrive so we could fix the Durango. In the meantime we bought, for the first time a "foreign vehicle", we spent 40k on a new van and it was NOT a Chrysler product. We would have 100% bought another Chrysler van-truck or car, but the fact that Chrysler turned their back on us and did not fix the issue with their vehicle due to a design flaw, we did not and do not trust them to do the right thing.

Truly sad, and I took a big financial loss when the company should have stood behind their product. It is a known issue with the 2004 Durango and the company flat out failed us.

While trying to re sell the Durango it was interesting that everyone, including the person that bought it knew about the issue with the 2004 Durango .

We are happy with our new vehicle and sad to say it is not a Chrysler!

- , Milton, GA, USA

Apr 112014

Durango KJL3 5.6L

This Dodge Durango was bought new and well maintained. It now sits in my drive looking like a new vehicle with brand new tires ready to drive; however, the engine blew up with only 90k miles well driven. I am disabled and the estimated price to get a new engine will be $4,000 to replace this engine. I will never drive another Dodge!!!!

- , muldrow, OK, USA

Apr 012014

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

Not sure where to start .very upset my dodge Durango 2004 5.7 hemi engine was working just fine. never had a problem. had my oil change done on schedule, next thing I know my car will not start. all light on had to get it towed now there telling me I need a new engine at the dodge dealer. that's going to cost me 6,200 dollars they said its is catastrophic not worth fixing. its a shame my car only has 92454 miles in great condition everything else body included looks brand new well taken care of for 10 years old car. not sure if a new engine is worth it. I don't want it happening to me again. Dealer is saying they found hole in bottom of engine block requires engine. not sure at the moment what to do has any one contacted a lawyer please respond thank you Annette.

- , Salisbury, MD, USA

Oct 222012

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

Like everyone else with an Hemi eng.,I cut it off on Friday evening for the weekend and when I tried to start it Mon. morning it would not crank. I thought the battery was down. I put my charger on it and went inside for more coffee. A half hour later I tried to crank it over again and, SHAZAM, it threw a rod right through the block.

I replaced it with a Jasper re-manufactured. I sure hope they build a better engine than Dodge does.

- , Bristol, VA, USA

Mar 112013

Durango EXT 5.7L

I bought my 2004 Dodge Durango in 2010, and it ran great for a year. One day I went out side to start it for work after a bad thunderstorm the night before, and it just started knocking. It started smoking and shaking, and all the oil from the fresh oil change that I had just had done two days prior poured onto the driveway. Once I had the vehicle towed to the repair shop, I was told that I would need a new engine because water had gotten into the head. It cost $4,300 to fix, with a one year warranty on the engine. I love my Durango, so I paid the price and hoped it work.

- , Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jan 262014

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

I purchased a 2004 Dodge Durango from a well known dealer. I was told that I was the third owner with only 130K miles on the vehicle. It was running fine, maintaining the routine oil changes and all to the vehicle.

On the way to church I was on the highway and went to accelerate and I felt a pop and the engine started making a loud noise. The truck started smoking and someone helped me and noticed that there was oil leaking. I later found out that a rod pierced my engine and put a hole in it. I now have to get a new engine and I cannot afford it. I'm in college, starting a business as a hairdresser and have four children to support. My credit isn't that great due to divorce and financing a new vehicle is definitely out of the question. I've contacted Dodge and was told that they cannot do anything about this. There needs to be some sort of lawsuit or something because this just isn't fair.

I at least thought that my truck would last me for 4-6 years. I've already had a new alternator put on and battery. The front wheel alignment was replaced due to an accident that wasn't my fault. Other than that, my truck was riding just fine and I would get so many compliments on how smooth the ride is. Never had any engine knocking or anything. This is crazy!

- , Laurel, MD, USA

Nov 012013

Durango SLT 5.7L V8 Hemi

We bought this vehicle used (1 previous owner) and were quite happy with it for a good while. Now, not so much. It threw a rod, while driving on the interstate at 72mph, loaded down with family and camping gear at 4 a.m. in November. I suppose you can guess just HOW THRILLED we were to have this happen. Especially as a family of 4 living on limited income due disability that always made sure the car came first (oil changes, fluid levels, snazzy tires, etc). For 6 long, LONG months we've been saving what we can to get the engine replaced. We're barely halfway there. Apparently the price has shot up for used 5.7L Hemi engines, I'm guessing due to a massive string of failures due to water leakage on intake valves. But Dodge knows this...they HAVE to know this. Sadly, "investigations" by Dodge have found issues with other things, but not this. Funny considering 3 Dodge technicians we've spoken to all immediately said the leakage and water were the problem. I'm so unbelievably disappointed. A simple recall, or notification, for a $400 fix would have been all that was needed. Now we sit here with a hunk of junk (that we're making payments on to the tune of $8k) in the yard that is going to cost $4k to fix. There's another 6 months of savings for us. Shameful Dodge...just shameful.

- , Russell Springs, KY, USA