CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

9.4

$5,082.00

1. replace engine (103 reports)
  3. replace engine or junk it (10 reports)
  4. Dodge recalls due to design flaw (4 reports)
  5. gave to charity (2 reports)
  6. replace cowl to prevent engine hydrolock (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Mar 172014

Durango 5.7L V8

For about a 2 years I'd been having an issue where during heavy rains (or after a car wash) my Durango would run roughly. I figured it was due to electrical wiring issues since I'd had another car do this in the past and since it cleared up quickly it wasn't that big of an issue. Two nights ago I drove home from work and parked my Durango on the street. Overnight we had a fairly heavy rain storm. When I went out to start it in the morning I heard what sounded like a bunch of metal parts in a clothes dryer - not good. Turns out my intake had been leaking and water had entered one of my cylinders. When I started the car it snapped a rod instantly. It's on the way to an engine replacement shop right now.

Unbelievable that Dodge has not addressed this complaint!!! I only had 85,000 miles on the vehicle. At this point I'm just glad it didn't happen when I was driving from the west coast to the east coast a couple winters ago.

- , Newport News, VA, USA

Nov 072013

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

Bought my Dodge Durango Limited 5.7 HEMI new in 2004. My wife was the main driver for several years. Vehicle always ran rough and tried to die in heavy rain and in car washes. Every visit to various dealers and private mechanics always showed misfire in cylinder 2 but no explanation why. At 124,000 miles started knocking and died.

I made numerous calls to Chrysler but of course they acknowledged no problems. I replaced it with another HEMI that had 60,000 miles. Still had the rain and car wash problem. Two years and 21,000 miles later same problem.

This was not my first Dodge product but it is my last. I cannot believe that Chrysler still refuses to acknowledge this problem. I have gone back to GMC (I drove them when I was younger). I now have an Acadia in my driveway and a useless Durango in my yard.

MAYBE IT'S TIME FOR A CLASS ACTION SUIT. A good attorney could have a field day with this.

- , Whitley City, KY, USA

Sep 012013

Durango EXT 5.7L

My 2004 Dodge Durango is sitting in my yard with the second bad engine with the same water in the head issue. I have been warned by a local tow truck driver and mechanic that it would be a waste of money to put any more money into this vehicle because it will continue to do the same thing over and over again. New estimate $3,750.

- , Fayetteville, NC, USA

Feb 222014

Durango Limited 5.7L

click to see larger images

engine failure

I have a ten year service history. Dealer was conveniently located and gave free oil changes for life. Car never went over 3500 miles between changes. Driving down the interstate with no stress on engine and kaboom! Engine still running but shaking out of balance and burnt oil smoke coming from engine compartment. Got it pulled over to shoulder of I95 and had a look. Motor oil all underneath car and draining onto ground. Tracing one of the leaks back up to inverted dent and rupture to oil pan. Yep, worst case scenario, threw a rod somewhere on passenger side. AAA towed to roadside shop in Stafford. While it's there, I am seeing this link and realizing that I may be one of the lucky ones who got over 135K miles before my Hemi disintegrated. Anyone need a perfectly good rolling chassis? Look for mine on Craigslist. I am headed for a Toyota dealership.

- , Fairfax, VA, USA

Dec 282013

Durango SLT 5.7L

I'm 20 years old with a baby girl on the way and i had just proposed the to my girl friend with a ring on CHRISTMAS. My pockets are empty as can be. i go to start my dodge after heavy rain to go pay money for something else that broke and to my surprise heard something awful. my piston rod had snapped leaving me in shock. i go to google the problem to look for a recall and before i could finish typing durango i found a slew of complaints for the same default with not one case of settlement. I've never felt so violated.

IF YOUR READING THIS NOW AND YOU'VE HAD THE SAME INCIDENT OCCUR LET YOU VOICE BE HEARD OR YOUR JUST AS WRONG AS DODGE . (I never write reviews or complaints but this is too unjust)

- , bensalem, Pa, USA

Jan 122004

Durango 5.7L Hemi

2004 DODGE DURANGO 5.7 HEMI,BOUGHT IN 2006 WITH 39000 MILES,ON 1/12/2014 DROVE APPROX 5 MILES TO CHURCH,RAN PERFECT AS IT ALWAYS HAS.LEFT CHURCH DROVE 2 MILES WITH CRUISE ON AT 60MPH AND BAM,THOUGHT I HAD A TIRE BLOW OUT,I ACTUALLY TURNED THE VEHICLE OFF,GOT OUT INSTEAD OF A FLAT, SAW OIL ON THE BLACK TOP,LOOKED OVER THE PASSENGER SIDE TIRE AND SAW A HUGH HOLE IN THE BLOCK,GLAD I WENT TO CHURCH,MY WIFE TELLS ME I USED SOME WORDS SHE HADN'T HEARD ME SAY IN A LONGTIME,I FOUND A USED ENGINE ON E-BAY WITH 31000 MILES.WITH THE HELP OF MY SON HE AND I REMOVED AND REPLACED ENGINE,WITH NO LABOR STILL OVER 3000.00 TO REPAIR,I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED IN CHRYSLER. WAS DOING RESEARCH ONLINE AND FINDING OUT THIS HAS HAPPENED TO MANY HEMI DURANGO OWNERS,I HAVE OWNED SEVERAL CHRYSLER PRODUCTS. THIS WILL BE MY LAST ONE,IT IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE THAT RAIN WATER,YES RAIN WATER LEAKS UNDER THE HOOD AND IS DRAWN IN THE ENGINE THOUGH THE THROTTLE BODY,AND FILLS A CYLINDER WITH WATER,AND BREAKS A CONNECTING ROD.

- , Monticello, KY, USA

Jan 082014

Durango 5.7L V8

About 2 weeks ago after a heavy downpour, went to start it and heard a loud clunking noise. It started after the 3rd try but was making a tapping noise. Took it to 2 auto mechanics the next day. Neither had an explanation other than it sounded like a take off valve? (Can't remember the exact term) but both had said to add an additive to my oil and run for about a week, if clicking didn't go away add a 2nd additive. If that didn't work bring it in. We'll within 3 days of adding the 2nd treatment I was driving home from work traveling about 65mph then bam, sounded like something fell out from underneath then this horribly loud tapping noise!!!!! Pulled over and after waiting for a tow truck for over 3 hrs. , tow truck driver laid underneath to hook up the chains and said this is bad there's a hole in your engine an it's leaking oil!!!! I could have been is a serious accident and from what I've read No one is doing anything about this serious issue? I bought this truck used not even 2 years ago and it only has a little under 79,000 miles on it. I am so upset and angry!! Thanks Chrysler for allowing me to experience the worst situation in owning a vehicle! I do not have $5000 to replace the engine nor do I have the money to buy another car. I'm screwed!

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 052013

Durango XLT 5.7L Hemi

THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE DODGE HEMI 5.7L ENGINE* I have maintained my 2004 Dodge Durango immaculately, mechanically and physically. I purchased my Durango in 2006 from a Dealer with 36K miles on it. In 2010 with 155,000 miles on it, the push rod broke when I was on my way to the office. The truck was sitting in my driveway from the night before and when I went to start the engine, it made a loud popping noise and engine shutdown.

I had the vehicle towed to a shop where it was confirmed the push rod had broken, oil changed on regular basis, etc.. I had the engine replaced in Nov 2010 with another Dodge Hemi 5.7 L Hemi engine. Over 3 years later guess what????????? The replaced Dodge Hemi engine blew on me in the same driveway 3 years later December 5, 2013.

I am posting this note to other owners to steer clear of replacing the engine as it will happen again, it is not a matter of if, BUT when. As of December 2013 my Dodge has been sitting at the shop I had it towed to and I refuse to buy another engine. One consistent issue which I have read from the other complaints is that the engine would hard idle (act like it would stall) during heavy rain storms. I am pissed because I have a excellent conditioned vehicle appearance and mechanically I am out of a vehicle. Fortunately/Unfortunately the vehicle is paid for.

I am going to lodge another complaint with the NHTSA. It is unbelievable so many people have the exact same issue with this engine. How can we get Chrysler/Dodge to own this problem and make its owners of its Dodge Durango's whole for fixing this recurring problem. I am a perfect example of replacing the engine in this vehicle once, and 3 years later the EXACT issue has occurred again!!!!!!!!!

- , Stafford, VA, USA

Jan 112014

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

I own a 2004 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi limited and the motor just seized, vehicle is well maintained and oil changed every 3000 miles. I loved my Durango but apparently there is a problem with dodge motors seizing it has 73000 miles on it and was hoping to drive it a few more years. I can't believe Dodge won't provide any relief for a $5,000 repair.

- , Drexel Hill, PA, USA

Dec 282013

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

I got my Dodge Durango Limited 5.7 Hemi as a used vehicle back in March of 2012. I paid $11,000 for this thinking it would last at least 4years or so not knowing this would happen to the engine this soon! I feel as if I just threw money away! This is the last time we ever get a dodge!!

- , Flandreau, SD, USA

Jul 032013

Durango SLT 5.7L Hemi

This is a known problem to Chrysler. It is not responded to because the engines typically fail once the warranty has expired. No longer their problem.

The plastic intake is the culprit in this example. Even if Chrysler would have communicated this problem out to their dealerships, this would have helped me avoid what I experienced. I had my Durango in 4 times trying to fix the symptoms of what was coming...water getting into the intake.

This problem was resolved by Chrysler in later models, but they sure don't acknowledge it for the earlier models.

Update from Nov 13, 2013: I had to decide what to do, replace the engine or scrap this vehicle and buy something else. This was not an easy decision to make. I do like the Durango. I had taken good care of this vehicle and I know what I have. I decided to keep it and have the engine replaced. The cost of any thing new or used would not be a small purchase...

Once this was decided, new choices needed to be made. The EOM engine components are adequate but not ideal. The components are all (what I call pot metal) low end molded metal parts...basically a throw away engine. The rods and pistons are assembled with a pressed in pin. It is not designed to be removed or replaced. All new components are required. So I upgraded...for a couple of hundred dollars more I got forged rods and pistons. That takes things to the next level...it needs to be balanced.

I have it back and can tell I have something more under the hood. I have yet to explore the computer programming for different tuning options. I am taking things slowly and breaking in the engine. So far so good and I am pleased with the outcome.

I wanted to tell this story so that perhaps other Durango owners can avoid this experience. This could have been avoided if Chrysler had even just take the step of communicating this issue to their dealerships. I would have remained a loyal and happy customer...

- , Maple Ridge, BC, Canada

Oct 232013

Durango Limited 5.7L

I purchased the vehicle from the original owner two years ago. Very clean with low mileage.

He ran Mobile One in the engine which I faithfully changed at recommended intervals. I was driving home from work, traveled about 1.5 miles and I heard the bang and smoke from under the hood. Pulled over, had it towed and found out it threw a rod through the engine block. I owned a 98 Durango which is still one the road, over 190,000 miles, I was misled into thinking these were good vehicles. No relief from Dodge, just a reminder I was over the warranty period.

- , Hatfielld, PA, USA

Aug 182012

Durango SLT 5.7L

I own a 2004 Durango 5.7 HEMI yard ornament. No way I'm spending $4500 for a new engine when Dodge refuses to admit that there is a problem. This has happened to far too many people to be a maintenance problem. Been sitting in my yard for over a year now and will continue to sit there until there is a recall to replace the blown piece of s*** under the hood.

One day karma will catch up to them and the government will not have the ability to bail them out this time. Shame on you Chrysler brass. I bet you drive foreign cars. They are probably more reliable. I own a 2002 SILVERADO HD 2500 with 160, 000 miles on it and the only thing I've fixed on it was the knock sensor. The only thing the Dodge is good for now is make me want to throw up in my own mouth. Hope you enjoy that last get out of bankruptcy free card cause with that kind of reliability in a 75, 000 mile vehicle no one is going to put their trust in you again.

Dodge you will make the perfect poster boy for the next Toyota commercial.

- , San Antonio, Tx, USA

Sep 222013

Durango SLT Hemi 5.7L V8

My wife and I purchased a 2004 Dodge Durango 1 year ago from a Chevy dealership. When my wife went to start it a week ago she heard a bang and the engine would not make a sound. We had it towed to a shop that specializes in 4-wheel drive vehicles. We were told that we must replace the engine in order to get the car to run (approximately $5100). After researching this vehicle I have discovered that engine failure is a BIG ISSUE with this car. Why hasn't the government insisted that it be recalled. I can now see why Dodge/Chrysler needed a government bailout to stay afloat. I am so glad that the current administration used my tax dollars to save a company that puts such an inferior product on the road.

- , Carrollton, OH, USA

May 182012

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

As I was driving to dinner with my family I was stopped at a light and as I began to accelerate I hear this loud noise as if I ran over something or as if I had a tire blow out on me because the truck also started to shake. So I immediately pulled over and shut the vehicle off. I look under the hood and there is smoke pouring out from the engine. When the tow truck driver arrived and told him what had happened he immediately said it sounded like you popped a hole in your engine block and you could actually see the hole, unbelievable.....

You know how he knew what happened to the engine before even looking at it, BECAUSE HE SAID IT HAPPENS VERY OFTEN WITH THESE DURANGO HEMI ENGINES AND THAT HE HAS TOWED MANY DODGE DURANGOS IN THE PAST THAT HAD THE SAME EXACT THING HAPPEN THAT HAPPENED TO ALL OF US.

You may also wonder, "why don't Americans buy American made cars???" It's because most of the American auto makers either can't make a good long lasting product anymore or won't back up the product when they know there is a well know problem with their product or both..... I will be contacting Dodge first thing Monday morning and hope that I will get some help, but I must say that from what I have read over the internet and this site so far, I don't believe that to be the case, but still hope to be wrong.

- , Franklin Square, NY, USA

Jul 252013

Durango Limited 5.7L V8

I really found it hard to believe that I can park my dodge Durango one evening (driving fine) and the go to leave the next day just to start the truck and bust a rod (at least until I seen this site). Still owe on this truck and im trying extremely hard to grasp the fact that this truck needs a new engine. But I find it difficult to spend more money on an engine not knowing if it will quit just like this one. my thoughts have run me through many scenarios, including making adapters and replacing this engine with a good ole LS engine (and this grows on me the more I think about it) All in all chalk me up to one of the many never buying chrysler products again!

- , Wichita, KS, USA

Jul 162013

Durango SLT 5.7L

MY 2004 DODGE DURANGO SLT 5.7 HEMI HAS A BLOWN ENGINE. AS MAJORITY ON THIS SITE HAVE EXPRESSED, MY DURANGO WAS WELL TAKEN CARE OF WITH MAINTENANCE PERFORMED AT REGULAR INTERVALS. I BOUGHT MY DURANGO USED IN 2007 WITH 1 OWNER PRIOR TO MYSELF. I HAVE EXPERIENCED THE RECALL FOR THE ELECTRICAL PANEL, ALONG WITH THE EGR VALVE 2 YEARS BACK AND ENGINE STALLING IN THE RAIN. THE FIRST TIME MY ENGINE IDLED POORLY WHILE IN THE RAIN WAS AROUND 2008. I DROVE HOME FROM WORK WITH NO PROBLEM, AS I RETURNED TO MY TRUCK 15MIN LATER I WENT TO START THE IGNITION AND THE ENGINE KNOCKED/RATTLED AND SHUT DOWN. I ATTEMPTED TO START THE IGNITION AGAIN, AND ONCE AGAIN THE ENGINE KNOCKED/RATTLED, SHAKED AND HAD SHUT DOWN ONCE MORE. AFTER THE 3RD TIME STARTING THE IGNITION, I GOT NO RESPONSE JUST A CLICK. I LET MY TRUCK SIT FOR A DAY AND HAD IT TOWED TO A PRIVATE MECHANIC. AFTER CHECKING MY FUEL PUMP, STARTED, BATTERY, AND ALTERNATOR, MY MECHANIC FIGURED THE ROOT OF MY PROBLEM HAD BEEN MY ENGINE HAD BLOWN. AFTERWARDS, I RESEARCHED THE ISSUE WITH ENGINES IN THIS PARTICULAR MODELS DURANGO. AFTER DOING EXTENSIVE RESEARCH AND VIEWING THE NHTSA WEBSITE, TO MY SURPRISE I FOUND I WASN'T THE ONLY OWNER OF THIS MODEL & YEAR TRUCK HAVING THIS VERY SAME ISSUE. WHAT MAKES THIS MORE SURPRISING IS THE GROWING NUMBER OF COMPLAINTS ABOUT THIS VERY ISSUE AND NOTHING IS BEING DONE. AS A SINGLE PARENT OF 2 CHILDREN I RELY HEAVILY ON MY VEHICLE, THAT IT WHY I TAKE ALL NECESSARY STEPS TO ENSURE MY VEHICLE REMAINS IN GOOD RUNNING CONDITION. THIS INCIDENT HAS CAUSED ME ALOT OF EMOTIONAL AND FINANCIAL STRAIN. AND I WOULD HOPE THAT VERY SOON CHRYSLER WOULD RECOGNIZE THAT THIS IS A MAJOR PROBLEM THAT NEEDS TO BE RECTIFIED.

- , Washington, DC, USA

Mar 252013

Durango 5.7L

click to see larger images

engine failure engine failure

Dodge knew about this problem before it was a problem. They changed the windshield cowl on the 05 or 06 models because rain water was leaking onto the engine. That is the problem along with cheap china made piston rods. The rain pours into the engine leaking into the engine, then the engine blows. Th national transportation safety bureau has hundreds of the same exact complaints on their website. Yet, no recall!!!! I guess thats what happens when the government buys car companies!! DO A RECALL DODGE!! I WILL NEVER BUY A CHRYSLER PRODUCT AGAIN. It is such a big problem that it is difficult to even get a replacement 5.7 hemi motor. If you can find one they are $3000-$4000. The government has made car manufactures recall cars for a lot less complaints on smaller cheaper components. COME ON!!

Update from Jun 6, 2015: I had to buy a new engine $4000.00 and $2000.00 to have it put in. Not a cheap solution.

- , Inman, SC, USA

Jul 082013

Durango SLT 5.7L V8

Add me to the list of 2004 Durango Hemi failures. I kept up with the maintenance and care of the vehicle. Married with 4 kids this is the perfect manly family car. Seats all 6 of us comfortably, smooth ride, and some power when needed. As usual, driving home one day and without any warning it sound like rocks grinding up in the engine and then it shut off. pull over only to see all my oil leaking out. I know a little bit about cars and that is never a good sign. The truck gets towed to the mechanic and he explains to me the problem with these engines, tells me to sit down and hit me with a $7300 bill. I still have a note on this car so I am in a real pinch. After reading ALLLLLLL the complaints about this same issue I'm going to email fox news and see if they can be of assistance. I use to be one that browse through the complaints but never gave my input, if you are like I was get involved so we can make Chrysler pay for this. Include your story so they don't skate by. It's bad enough the government was giving them some of that bail out money at our expense but to take it and sell us a bad product is simply not right.

- , Brookhaven, PA, USA

Jul 072013

Durango 5.7L Hemi

driving home from vacation and my hemi blew up. garage said I threw a rod and only thing to do is replace engine to the tune of $5,500. Filed complaint with highway safety commission and contacted dodge, dodge will do nothing about this problem and claim there is no problem. the motor blew after a big rain storm. dodge has admitted there is a problem with the cowl pouring water into the motor but claim that has nothing to do with the engine blowing. the highway safety commission has hundreds of complaints of the the 04 Durango throwing a rod with out there being any reason. dodge needs to make this right not screw the average person who cant afford $5500 to replace an engine that they did nothing to make it fail. it is obvious that it is a design/manufacture problem. there will never be another dodge in my driveway! and that was my 4th dodge product. I was a strong supporter of doge until now, never again will I recommend or purchase a dodge product of any kind. hopefully others who have been burned will spread the word and together we can all make dodge pay for their lack of responsibility.

- , West Point, MS, USA