CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

9.4

$5,082.00

1. replace engine (103 reports)
  3. replace engine or junk it (10 reports)
  4. Dodge recalls due to design flaw (4 reports)
  5. gave to charity (2 reports)
  6. replace cowl to prevent engine hydrolock (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Dec 282012

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

It's not fair that Dodge don't take responsibility for their manufacture products. I am a mom of seven kids and now is out of as vehicle and still paying a car note, because I don't have 6,000 dollstart to pay for a hemi engine to be replace. Why haven't they been sued? I am very upset because that was my means of transportation. I see they are still getting rich while people vehicles are not lasting. None of these people probably even own their own products in their driveway. We are loosing out on money and i gotta try to find a way to get this fix. Being as though their excuse was your warranty has expired. And i only had the truck for 9 months. The sad part was the engine blew when i was on my way to take my child to the hospital. Imma find a way to sue their asses....i am dons with dodge. Now i got a piece of junk just sitting on the street...

- , Washington, DC, USA

May 152012

Durango SLT 5.7L

Piston froze up in the engine and broke the rod. Had to replace the engine. I did this myself to save money. The car was used when I purchased it and appeared to have been taken care of and never ran out of oil. Don't know why the piston seized up. NOW, THERE IS AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM THAT DRAINS MY BATTERY! I'M DONE WITH DODGE / CHRYSLER PRODUCTS!

- , Collierville, TN, USA

Oct 102012

Durango SLT 5.7L V8

Chrysler / Dodge should be embarrassed. The Durango was never used for any heavy work. It never towed anything. The vehicle was impeccably maintained with frequent oil changes. Most of the miles were easy highway miles. The have a total engine failure with just over 100,000 miles is inexcusable.With no warning. We went out to start the vehicle and the engine effectively blew up. From looking on line, this seems to be a common problem and Chrysler / Dodge is doing nothing about it. After it happened to us, our mechanic has told us he has heard of two other occasions where the owners are on their THIRD engine !! We found out a cousin is also on their third engine. We have always driven Toyotas and BMWs as well as having an SUV for the winter. The other cars have historically driven without problem for well beyond 100k. I have three old BMWs, with mileage of 200k, 215k and 180k, one being 23 years old. This is another reason to question the purchase of a Dodge. This is a disgrace. It would be one thing if something failed and it could be repaired. But to have the vehicle totaled on the turn of a key because of crap design or manufacturing should never happen. I will gladly participate in any class action lawsuit to hold Dodge accountable. Thank god we were not driving, we could have been killed.

- , Cornwall, NY, USA

Oct 312012

Durango SLT 5.7L V8

ON SUNDAY THE DAY BEFORE HURRICANE SANDY I DROVE VEHICLE ABOUT 13 MILES TO STORE WITH WIFE. WE CAME BACK TO HOUSE AND PARKED VEHICLE. THEN SANDY CAME AND REEK ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMS, BUT WE GOT LUCKY. SO AFTER STORM 2 DAYS LATER I WENT OUT TO START VEHICLE AND IT SOUNDED LIKE METAL TRASH WAS UNDER HOOD AND THIS THING WAS RATTLING AND KNOCKING LIKE CRAZY. SO I TURNED IT OFF. I NOTICES FLUID RUNNING OUT ON PASSENGER SIDE. I CALLED MY MECHANIC .. HE SAID IT SOUNDED LIKE A ROD HAD BLOWN. A DAY LATER I HAD VEHICLE TOWED TO HIS SHOP AND HE SAID ENGINE SHOT. HE CALLED CHRYSLER DODGE AND ADVISED THEM THAT THIS IS A ONGOING PROBLEM W 5.7 L V8 ENGINE. THIS REFUSED TO DO ANYTHING. THEY KNOWN 5.7 LTR V8 HEMI ENGINE IS BAD. MY VEHICLE AND JUST CHANGED OVER TO 100,000 MILES....SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE.

Update from Dec 7, 2013: If you have gieco insurance file a claim. They paid for my replacement.water is sitting in cylinder, causing rod to break

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Mar 202012

Durango SLT 5.7L V8

C'MON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why's the freakin engine sounding like an AK47 under the hood? A former Dodge employee tells me that they KNEW they were putting inferior parts into the Hemi and that the engine would fail in and around 100K miles. I would really hope that was NOT true, but it seems to be a repeating trend I'm finding on websites across the i-net for those who own an 04 Durango w/ Hemi.

Really, really sorry move to not acknowledge or make it right.

Update from Jun 7, 2015: $6500 to replace the engine... but NOW have a new complaint to add. During the torrential two weeks of rain here in Texas I found that there were GALLONS of water in the second row doors, floorboard carpets SOAKED and seatbelts soaked (and now stinking). Real nice, REAL NICE.

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Jun 032012

Durango SLT 5.7L Hemi

I bought this vehicle 9/20/10 and have not even put 10,000 miles on it yet and it is now stuck in my drive-way, DEAD. Friday our family we to town, which is only 20 miles one way, then parked the truck. It was not started or moved all weekend. On Sunday evening we were heading to go fishing when my husband started the truck, at which point it started seariously rattling, never heard the noise this thing was making out of any vehicle. At which point I looked under the truck and say oil pouring out from the under side of the truck. At this point we turned the truck off. My husband was a mechanic for many years and is now just shaking his head. Not wanting to but asking what is wrong with it, he stated the engine is shot. So monday morning I called the dealer I bought it from. The answer I got was you are out of warranty, by 3000 miles. SORRY! So I then called Crysler, and I got the same answer there too. I do not understand how no one has to take responsability for this problem, and it;s not just me or a couple people having the same problem. Something needs to be done about this. Now I have a paper weight sitting in my driveway, I can't drive nor do I have the $$$ to fix. I will NEVER buy another DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Kincheloe, MI, USA

Apr 202012

Durango 5.7L

We were returning from Bascom Palmer in Miami (were there to seek a transplant for our daughter) when the engine blew at 72,000 in the middle of nowhere. We had never been informed of any problems so didn't have the extended warranty that began at 70K miles. Were told by factory they would pay 1/2 of the cost to replace ($9000.00). If they admit fault and are willing to pay half, why won't they fix the problem or notify owners there is a problem before it happens? If we didn't live in such a remote area I would follow other ideas and place a sign (Don't Believe in Dodge) on the yard art for everyone to see. With extensive medical bills, we can't come up with $4,500 so it will be junked. We are horrified and disillusioned this can happen in America.

- , Glenville, NC, USA

Apr 262012

Durango SLT 5.7L V8 Hemi

One day she's fine, go out the next morning to warm her up and she sounds like she's chewing up a trash can. My neighbor a licensed mechanic actually HEARD MY ENGINE from across the street in his bedroom and came out. Please keep in mind, just had a tune-up in October, kinda a post 80,000 pre-100,000 precautionary overhaul. Fast forward two days and he's finally got to the "bottom" of the issue.. and found that the "rocker" arm something had broken and shot a piston or rocket clear through my engine and the scary part it still ran when we started her (refer to earlier description of sound). So fortunately he found me a used engine (5.7lV8 HEMI with 6300 miles on it as is doing all of the labor for $2000). I love my Durango I've had it since it was new and it's never left me stranded until Thursday, morning. One big OH BY THE WAY... Everyone I've spoken to states that HEMI engines are supposed to be better than this... one would expect several hundred thousand miles with out problems.

- , Lockbourne, OH, USA

Apr 212012

Durango 4.7L V8 Awd

Bought my used 04 Durango five months prior to losing the engine to a rusty sparkplug!! Yeah, that's what the mechanic found when he ran a scope. Since I had purchased an "extended warranty" I figured something would be covered...WRONG! Since a sparkplug isn't a"lubricated" part, I get to pay for everything out of pocket. Like a lot of the comments I have read so far, was driving along about 50, when the motor started chugging, like it was having trouble getting fuel, and when I let off the accelerator it would stop. After a short ways, it let up. All of a sudden a loud clunk! and knocking sound. I immediately pulled off the road and turned off the engine. Upon checking under the hood, I found no indication of any fluids leaking, nor were there any indicator lights lit up on the control panel, just a smell. I have put about 1,000 miles on this vehicle and am currently looking for an engine and an attorney!!

- , Bronson, MI, USA

Apr 012012

Durango 5.7L

My 2004 dodge Durango is crap!!!!!!!!!!!! Do anyone want to start a lawsuit?

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Mar 292012

Durango Limted 5.7L Hemi

5 months from paying off my Durango and without any warning, the engine blew. Up until this point the only issue I ever had with it was that it drove sluggish in the rain. I did some research and found out that a cover was missing and could be repaired easily. The engine was totally out of the blue. I had driven the car earlier that day and it drove like normal. I made it a half of block away from my office and it sounded like I ran over a tree. I pulled over and immediately turned off the engine, noticed the oil pouring out and had it towed to the mechanic. We have not received the final bill on replacing the engine yet but we have heard it could be over five thousand dollars. That kind of money doesnt come easy to our family and to think that this was a known problem just makes me sick. Shame on you Dodge!

Update from Apr 12, 2012: I mistyped the mileage it's 104,000 not 140,000

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jan 152012

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

We purchased our car new in May 04. We drove our car 2 days before the engine failure and all was fine. We have had no major issues with the vehicle. I got in the car the other morning and tried to start it and it made this loud noise like rocks or marbles in the engine. Then it would not start. After a few attempts to start, the engine started but has a very loud knocking noise. Had it towed to a Dodge dealership. They said the camshaft and pistons need to be replaced. But haven't really torn the engine apart to diagnose everything. They said this is not a known problem....Right! Total cost to rebuild the bottom half is $5,000.00. The service guy told me it was one of the cleanest engines he has seen too. I told them that was too much and they went down to $4,100.00. But we found another licensed shop to rebuild for $2,700.00 with tax. The shop doing the work has 3 other Durangos at his shop with the same problem. The Dodge dealership also charged us $90.00 for diagnostics and $13.00 plus change for supplies. ? Our receipt just shows charge for diagnostics. We asked they also add to record the cause but they handwritten the possible problem on our paperwork. Is it because they don't want that in the system? I'm curious. We have purchased many Chrysler/Dodge products but no more especially if Chrysler will not come clean about this KNOWN problem with this engine. This engine should have lasted a lot longer than 90,900 miles. It's not the 70's anymore. I forgot to add.... The Dealership said that they sold over a million and a half of these vehicles and this is a fluke that it happened to a few of them. I have checked other vehicle complaint boards such as edmunds.com and this is a known problem.

- , Argyle, TX, USA

Dec 072011

Durango Limited 5.7L

I am currently an owner, paid in full, of a dead Dodge Durango 5.7 limited. I now call it my 55 thousand dollar yard ornament. I was at a stop light. The light turned green. With a car in front of me and a large delivery truck next to me, I proceeded to go through the light. As I was crossing the intersection, with no audible warning, with no dash board warning, the engine blew! It was like a bomb went off! I'm sure it scared the people driving next to me! The engine had completely shut down. I had no power steering or brakes. I managed to pull of the road into a parking lot. I got out and looked under the truck and saw oil pouring out of the engine! I had just had the engine serviced and oil change done just a week prior. It came out with a supposed clean bill of health. Real bad news is that my extended warranty has expired by 20 days! I've done some research and found that catastrophic failure for this engine is common! there are tons of complaints about this engines failure. Also found out that Chrysler new about the problem, changed the rods to stronger ones and didn't even bother doing a recall!!! It's going to cost almost 8000.00 dollars to install a new engine and Chrysler or the dealer ship doesn't really give a crap! Merry fricking Christmas! I'm looking into a class action law suit. So if any one out there knows if there has been on started or knows how to start one, please contact me!!

- , Algona, WA, USA

Dec 282011

Durango SLT Hemi 5.7L

I have/had a Dodge Durango I bought new in December, 2003. I really loved the car and had all the maintenance done on it when suggested. I have all the paperwork on it. Like others, the car started running rough when it rained and would stop at a stop light (for a few seconds). The car never died though. On 12/27, I went to the store and came home -- everything was fine. I got in the car the next day and TRIED to start it up and all of a sudden there was a horrific noise. I thought -- actually kind of hoped it was an animal under the hood. I got out and checked under the hood and nothing was there. I had the car towed into the dealership (where all my maintenance was done) and was informed the next day that it was the engine. I had bought the Hemi because I thought it would run forever. I have owned other cars where I always get over 200K miles on them before getting rid of them. I am extremely disappointed and would NEVER purchase another Chrysler/Dodge product. I have been on other websites where this looks like a problem with the engine - the rods are not forged. I wish the government would issue some kind of recall.

- , Olympia, WA, USA

Dec 212011

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

A Rod broke while I was driving and the engine seized. No one, including Dodge, is able to get this motor - it's on back order. I was told it could be 4 months or more to get a NEW one from the manufacturer. I've had numerous resources check in to getting a used engine and there turns out to be only 2 available in the US and the cost of the USED engines is around $4000 (not including shipping or labor). After much research it turns out that the 2004 and some 2005 engines were made with a different type of steel rods that turned out to be a weaker steel and a disaster. I've seen numerous complaints of this same issue happening to people - some folks replaced the motor only to have the same thing happen again in as little as 6 months. So, for Christmas this year I got a pile of scrap metal - my 2004 Dodge Durange that i can't even sell or trade in - NO ONE wants it!!!

- , Lake In The Hills, IL, USA

Aug 292011

Durango ES V8

I love my dodge i have gotten the oil changed every 3,000 miles and whatever was due to be done was done. Friday i filled up with gas, the hurricane was coming so we were getting things ready. I got home parked the dodge in the same place i have for years (bought the vehicle new in 2004) we went through the hurricane with problems but our live and our home is good. So Sunday I thought I would go to town and check on my moms house. Got in the dodge turned the key and it sounded just like i had a metal bucket filled with nuts and bolts in the bucket and was shaking it. I immeditly swithed the key off-thinking maybe the wind blew something into the motor so i lifted the hood but could not see anything in the way so this morning i had the dodge towed. I went to the dealership before the dodge got there to tell them what happened. Well they called me a couple of hours later and said the rod went threw the motor and oil is coming out, so I went to the dealer and went in and asked did you start the vehicle? they said yes we had to find out what was going on. I told them there was NO oil coming out of the bottom at my house nor when it was towed away. I feel they tried to start it and kept try until it blew up. That kind of engine should last 200,000 miles- i had a 1976 Gremlin and I got 320,000 out of it and only used quaker state oil and the car did not quit i traded it (that was a wrong move). They say to replace the motor with a new one is 7250.00 i do not know what to do-first I do NOT have that kind of money. there is nothing wrong with the body or the interior it is in great shape, I tried so hard to do all you are suppose to do to keep the vehicle in great working order.

After reading all these bad things, I do not think I did anything wrong. But I do Not know what to do now. if anyone can tell me are the new motors the same as these motors?

- , Tarboro, NC, USA

Dec 062011

Durango XLT 5.7L

I got lucky enough to have mine leave me stranded on the highway on my 8th wedding anniversary! Just cruising along, goen about 70 miles an hour when my car started to shimmy. I felt I had had a blow out! I proceed to pull over to the side of the road when I start hearing a bell and looked down to see my oil light had come on. Shut it right down and turned on my hazards.

After we had it towed and had someone look underneath, I had 1 noticeable hole in the block and 2 in my oil pan!! WTH!!! It had been a really reliable car up until then. No notice and then BAM! I am the proud owner of a Dodge piece of sh*t Durango that looked as if the underneath had been riddled by a bunch of bullets. If only the lender will consider loaning me an additional $6000, I can replace the motor and continue to be a loyal paying customer of a "running" Dodge Durango.

- , Collinsville, OK, USA

Dec 032011

Durango Limited 5.7L V8

While on the interstate I noticed a vibration while applying the gas. It went away when I lifted. No lights or noticeable engine noise. I nursed it about 4 miles to the next exit. The engine stalled when I stopped with an Engine and Oil Pressure light coming on. It wouldn't start again. No fluid under the car. I had it towed to a dealer who concluded a rod or valve was thrown and two cylinders hydro-locked with coolant inside the pistons. Internal damage was extensive. I'm looking at an engine replacement or writing off the car. I had no problems with this engine previously and I held to a regular maintenance schedule. Not happy about this at all. It was a good vehicle until this happened. I looked up the blogs on Edmunds and noted dozens of 2004 Hemi's failing without warning in the 80-115K mile range. Something is going on with this model engine.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Nov 012011

Durango SLT 5.7L Litre Hemi

Its time for my Durango to get its inspection, so while I'm there i get the oil changed (Monday 3pm). With the oil change comes an 'DNA' of your vehicle (diagnostic test of vehicle)...no problems. Tuesday @around 5pm I'm at a red light, the light turns green and iI step on the gas and BOOM...the worst noise I have ever heard from a vehicle. I immediately pull over to see whats going on, look under the truck and I see oil pouring out. My first thought was "what the #%&! did they do to my truck. After having it towed back to the shop, we make sure they did everything they were supposed to(oil,cap,ect) Upon further inspection we see a big hole in the side of the block. How in the world can A vehicle be fine one day, and then blow out an engine the next day..if someone has the answer (Chrysler), could you please tell me.I really loved that truck, but unless they help me with my problem, it will be the last dodge I buy. I will also try and deter anyone from buying anything from dodge/Chrysler. I know its going to be hard but maybe if enough people complain something may get done.

- , Richmond, VA, USA

May 292011

Durango Limited 5.7L Hemi

Have a 2004 Dodge Durango Limited. Loved it to death and had very few problems with it. Drove it about an hour and a half away from home to go camping and it drove perfect just like always. We drove it for the last time Saturday night up to the campstore for wood and still it was running perfect. We went to start it on Sunday afternoon and the engine made this terrible noise like something was flapping around clunking metal so my husband turned it off right away, we look down and oil is pouring out. Our connecting rod went through our oil pan and we now need to replace the engine. Dodge still has not done a recall on this motor even after this same exact thing has happened hundreds of times, many probably not reported. I called Dodge to ask for assistance in the bill and was out of luck because I had over 100,000 miles. I would think that when you pay 35,000 to 40,000 for a vehicle, the manufacture should stand behind it a little more. My family will no longer be purchasing any Dodge/Chrysler vehicles in the future and I will let everyone I know how shady they are being regarding this KNOWN problem.

- , Warsaw, IN, USA