Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Apr 212011

My Dodge Durango 2005, shuts off periodically while driving. This is extremely dangerous when I have to drive this crap with my kids in it. Dodge is aware of this problem and just wants to brush everyone off. Saying they found no evidence of a problem, well we all cant be wrong. I will tell everyone I know not to ever buy a Dodge. At least fix this problem Dodge, because right now your reputation is really bad. I am surprised Dodge doesn't have a lawsuit yet. This problem will kill someone.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Apr 112011

Durango 8-cyl

Durango shuts off randomly, especially when turning at slow speeds.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Mar 122011

Durango 8-cyl

I own a 2005 Dodge Durango slt V8 hemi. My vehicle stalls without warning will driving 60mph on the freeway. It will also randomly stall if making a turn. It will start back up sometime and other times it takes awhile to start back up. This is very dangerous and Chrysler need to recall this vehicle and correct this problem before someone dies.

- Saginaw, TX, USA

Feb 172011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I have two safety concerns about our 2005 Dodge Durango. First, during the end of fuel filling, as the vapor lock on the pump engages and shuts the valve to the pump off, gas immediately spews from the filler neck, as if the tank depressurized. It has happened to me three (3) times now. This is a major safety concern! the result could cause a fire resulting in serious injury or worse! the other issue that I have a major concern with is that the vehicle stalls during low speed turning. If at an intersection and attempting a turn, the vehicle may stall and cause an accident. This has happened to me more than ten (10) times in the eight months that we have owned the vehicle. This too is a major concern as it can also cause serious injury or worse to not only myself, wife, young children, and others that may become involved in an accident if it where to happen! I have reported the issues to Dodge and their response to me is to have the vehicle diagnosed. I do plan on doing this however, while researching the issues online, I have found a many numbers of vehicles (same year, make, and model) with the exact same issues. This leads me to believe that this is not isolated and should be cause for safety concerns throughout the nation for the vehicles/owners.

- Stephens City, VA, USA

Jul 052010

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

While driving at 45 miles per hour in a rain storm the electrical system suffered a catastrophic failure. Engine would stop and then restart, all powered equipment would turn off and then back on. Every light in instrument panel would go off and then back on again. Vehicle was unresponsive to cycling of the ignition switch. The vehicle would turn off while the ignition switch was in the full run position. The vehicle would continue to run when ignition switch was moved to the off position. After being powered off for a long time and with the key completely removed from the ignition, the instrument panel and any accessories (radio, ac, etc) which had been powered on before shutdown, would re-activate.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Mar 092010

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

While driving at 55 miles per hour in a rain storm the windshield wiper suffered a catastrophic failure.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Feb 012011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

My 05 Dodge Durango with 5.7 hemi is stalling with no warning. No power steering, no power brakes, no check lights come on, the radio remains on but thats it. I can put in park or nuteral and it comes back on. This normally happens when I am turning, this is so dangerous!! searching the web I have found there are quite a few people out there experiencing the same problem I think its time Dodge figures this out before something terrible happens.

- Yakima, WA, USA

Aug 052009

On 4 occasions my vehicle has shut off while trying to turn on a intersection at a low speed. All fluids are in the correct levels and no fault lights appear. The vehicle does start normally after a second. The incidents are sporadic however are concerning because it could cause an accident. This appears to be a common issue with this type of vehicle an many have complained. The dealer can't do anything because they cannot recreate the problem and computer does not show fault code. I tried contacting Dodge customer service about it but they are not willing to help.

- Newman, CA, USA

Jan 012011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

2005 Dodge Durango electrical system instrument panel.

- Robinsonville, MS, USA

Nov 132010

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Car is stalling when at a stop or slow speeds. It just dies with no warning. It is getting worse. I will not sit at a stop without shutting off. It seems to me it is the NHTSA EA05018 problem. I think the recall needs to be reopened.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Mar 282008

Durango 8-cyl

2005 Dodge Durango with 5.7 hemi engine will shut off without warning while driving. Does not throw a code so the dealer can't find the problem. Most times it will re-start but sometimes takes several attempts before restarting. Sometimes it happens more than once a day, sometimes a couple of times a week....need help to get Dodge/Chrysler to do something about the problem. Bought new in 2005 and didn't start having trouble until 2008.

- Magee, MS, USA

Aug 042010

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango that will just shut off on me without any warning. I almost got rear-ended the other day when I tried to turn on my road and I had no power steering or power. I called Dodge dealership and they said without any lights coming on they can not get a code. I have read and read about hundreds of people with this same problem who own a 2005 Dodge Durango..and Dodge isn't doing anything about it. I have a 6 year old daughter who rides with me everyday and it is not safe for me or her and something needs to be done now!!

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Jul 012010

Alarm/key fob fails to activate due to defect in soldering of battery holder to circuit board. Found many people with the same problem on The battery holder in 2004-2006 Dodge keys comes apart from the circuit board, making the key not work, and stranding you where ever you happen to be. When you open the key, you see the battery holder out of where it was attached to the 'motherboard', and can push it back in and make the key work, but it's only a temp fix as it keeps coming apart.

- Huntingdon Valley, PA, USA

Mar 292010

My 2005 Dodge Durango V8 hemi, several months back, started losing all power while driving including power steering and power brakes. I would have to try and coast to a stop without being involved in or causing an accident. The Durango would then restart and run fine. This has been increasing in frequency over the past couple of months with it occuring twice yesterday, March 29,2010. This is becoming a serious safety hazard and will undoubtedly cause an accident. It has occured while turning, slowing down for traffic, and while accelerating through an interesction. I have called Dodge on several occasions with no answer as to what the problem is or that they would fix it, as it is an obvious safety concern. There are many sites with other owners voicing this same thing happening to them and also list that this was brought to Dodge's attention in the past and they didnt feel that it was important enough for them to issue a recall to get the problem fixed. I only hope it doesn't cost soimeone's life for them to admit that it is of concern to them

- Griffin, GA, USA

Dec 012009

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

When putting gas into the tank of my vehicle, it spits gas back out. At the same time, we are getting surges in the speed of the engine, seems to be more frequently when speeding up from low RPM. The internet is full of instances of this same problem, but my dealer says no recall pertaining to this matter. They are replacing the gas tank at no charge, but say that I must pay for a diagnosis and a replacement sensor for the surging. They claim that neither problem is a recall, nor covered in my expensive extended warranty. I am being charged close to $300, including rental car.

- Capistrano Beach, CA, USA

Aug 202009

Recently, Toyota has had problems with spontaneous acceleration. It appears that both foot pedal and electronics are at fault. I believe the problem may be more widespread. I own a 2005 Dodge Durango which suffered from spontaneous acceleration. The "brain" had to be replaced twice. Once when I got the SUV and last year. It would be interesting if the electronic computer part or parts were made by the same manufacturer. In both of my cases it could have been deadly. Please pass this on so it will not get lost in the "shuffle".

- Fort Bragg, CA, USA

Sep 082009

I own a 2005 Dodge Durango limited the dealer sold to me & installed a starting system and a navigation system. I have had my car shut off while driving down the highway and my car just doesn't start. It turns over but no start. The dealer fixed it many times and now it is out of warranty so my mechanic is trying to fix it and states that the dealer told him they should have never placed those in the same car together. He also said Lincoln towncars are having the same issue.

- Irving, TX, USA

Mar 262009

Pertaining to the 2005 Dodge Durango: While driving this vehicle, it just shuts off, this has happened several times. When this happens, you loose powersteering, which puts you in a dangerous situation. I'm not sure if its electrical or mechanical related. I have visited a few recall sites and various people from all over are having this problem. The vehicle has been checked out for many things to include spark plugs. I think it may be the electric control module, but that's just an opinion. I feel this situation needs to be addressed by Dodge before someone gets hurt or even killed because of this defect.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Feb 112009

Engine stalls randomly and in different driving conditions but mostly when coming to a stop RPM will drop off all the sudden then engine dies it also looses power when accelerating and surges pretty hard when this happens this has happened twice since I bought the vehicle on 2/25/09 first time was on 3/11/09 and the second time was 3/21/09.

- Henderson, KY, USA

Feb 122009

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango that I recently started having problems with. Problem 1: when filling the fuel tank the pump does not automatically shut off and fuel comes shooting out the top of the tank. Problem 2: when driving at night the instrument panel flickers on and off. I checked the website and found that there were recalls issued for both of these issues that I've experienced so I took my car to the dealer. The dealer said my VIN is not covered under the recall and that I have to call Chrysler. I contacted Chrysler and was told that the dealer is unwilling to work for any discounts and that because my car is out of the warranty period they will not pay for any services. In both recall notices it states that these issues are both fire hazards and I don't feel that I should have to pay $1700 out of my own pocket to resolve them, as these are known issues with 2005 Dodge Durangos. Please help!

- Marlborough, MA, USA