Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Oct 152006

The complaint I have is about the wireless remote key for the 2005 Dodge Durango. The remote stopped working after a short period of time. I notified the dealer and I was advised I needed to buy a new key. I opened the battery compartment and noticed one of the contacts from the battery to the actual circuit board had broken off. I fixed that problem by using adhesive buy now the key is not programmed. Dealership wants to charge to solve that. I did a little research and found out I am not the only one with the problem. There is a lot of people that had the same issue. That is why I believe the wireless remote keys are defective and something must be done about it. Thank you. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Mar 152008

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango limited w/ hemi. We purchased this vehicle used w/ 26,000 miles on it a year and 4 months ago. I have experienced several problems w/ it: Broken remote keys-the remote locking devices on both keys are now dysfunctional due to the solder that holds the battery in place breaking. I cannot lock/unlock vehicle from outside and when it is locked from inside prior to exiting, upon re-entry, the alarm sounds until key is put into ignition and vehicle is started. The amount of money to replace these keys is outrageous!!!! windows shaking while rolled down-anytime any of the windows are rolled down they shake violently w/ in their casing. There is also quite a bit of wind noise heard when windows are rolled up completely. Had dealership look at it but they could not determine there was a problem. Navigation system-the main knob has become almost dysfunctional. It seems that it is sticking out farther than it once had. With out use of this knob, the entire nav system is virtually unusable. Seatbelt cover-drivers side plastic dust cover where seatbelt goes into seat came off and the plastic around it has a crack in it. There is quite alot of dust building up inside the seatbelt mechanism. Liftgate screws falling out-this has happened a dozen times regardless of how many times they are tightened. It is the screws that hold the plastic on the inside of the liftgate-where the closing handles are located. Broken pin on accelerator pedal-dealer calling this a "push nut pin" and it is what attaches the accelerator to the arm. Dealership certain it is a part malfunction however Chrysler refusing to repair. Underside steering wheel radio control-the left button that changes the pre-set radio stations as well as which disk is playing in the cd changer is sticking. If you just barely touch it the stations/cd's change continuously. In order to get it to stop, you must depress it very hard while moving it back and forth.

- Whitney, TX, USA

Jun 272008

Friday morning June 27th while my wife was driving to work, she noticed smoke coming from the driver side panel below the dashboard. Within minutes the vehicle was filled with smoke and fire spread from the dashboard to the rear of the SUV completely burning it until the fireman put it out.

- Pembroke Pines , FL, USA

Dec 312007

Durango 8-cyl

My 2005 5.7L Dodge Durango slt has stalled approx. 5 times since my purchase in 2005. Each time varied in driving, I.e., a few times occurred during decreased speeds in turns, others during normal highway speeds (65+). each time, all controls, I.e. steering, electronics, ceased functioning without warning. No accidents yet but anticipate this will occur as close calls each time this has occurred. Vehicle was stopped and put into park, then restarted without problem. Our Durango computer has been flashed previously but stalling still occurred.

- Essex, MD, USA

Jul 292007

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While parked in the driveway the vehicle burst into flames. The fire investigator stated that an electrical malfunction caused the fire. Approximately three thousand miles prior to the fire, the vehicle would not start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and they reprogrammed the keys. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 33,000. Returned usps, 2nd attempt made 08/28/07 failed.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jun 102007

Durango 8-cyl

2005 Dodge Durango (4.7 L V8) stalls in an unexpected manner while driving. Stalls have occured while driving on at least 5 occasions. Stalls have occurred in normal street traffic and on the highway. Had a Dodge dealership look at the vehicle in May 2007. Vehicle has stalled twice since the dealership looked at it. The vehicle most recently stalled today on I-90 (June 10, 2007).

- Lake City, PA, USA

Nov 232006

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While driving 75 mph, the vehicle shuts off without warning. The contact is able to restart the vehicle immediately after the failure. The contact stated that the malfunction indicator light is constantly illuminated. The dealer stated that the vehicle shuts off due to the O2 sensor and the malfunction indicator light. The vehicle was unable to be repaired because the manufacturer has not provided a resolution. The current mileage is 31,000 and failure mileage was 26,000. Updated 07/06/07

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 012006

Durango 8-cyl

SUV stalls with I make a turn or just slow down. I almost hit someone making a turn because the car stalled. My car has been in the shop about 3 times for this problem. They looked at it and the Dodge people and could not fix it. Then they gave me a computer that would collect data about the car when the problem happened. I drove with the computer in the car for about 2 weeks. They did not find any information that would help them fix the car. Then they replaced the ignition switch. The problem did not happen for a long time. But it has happened about 3 times after they did that.

- Colfax, LA, USA

Feb 042007

Durango 8-cyl

The 2005 Durango stalls during acceleration and at highway speeds with no warning, it will not start again until vehicle is completely stopped even if shifted into neutral. The ECM sets no codes and normally vehicle run fine and everything checks out ok. This can be dangerous because suddenly your vehicle is powerless in the middle of six lanes of traffic and your looking for a safe place to go so you can stop and start it again.

- Shelby, IA, USA

Aug 012006

Durango 4WD

I own an 05 Dodge Durango purchased in Jan 06. Since Aug 06 I have had intermittent problems with it cutting off while I am driving. It seems to occur when I am slowing down to make a turn. It's happened 5 times since then. No lights come on on the dashboard and I lose my power steering. I have to come to a complete stop, put the car in park and then it will restart. I've had it at the dealer twice and since they can't "duplicate" the problem, they can't fix it. The first time I took it in, they said my throttle body needed cleaning, of course, this was not something my warranty covered, but, I paid for it in the hopes of fixing the problem. I am concerned that next time it stalls, I will either rear end someone or someone will hit me.

- Apex, NC, USA

Jan 012007

2005 Dodge Durango with excessive vibration and stalling***

- Jackson, MS, USA

Aug 262006

Durango 6-cyl

Purchase a vehicle from howard wislon Chrysler of flowwod, Mississippi, and a vehicle with full warranty, they sold the truck knowing it a had a defect, the truck stalls out while drive in the middle of speed while driving to the point where my disable a daughter and I almost got hit from the back by a eighteen wheeler truck and killed if it had been from a officer helping us realize the truck was stopping on it's own. I have complained to Chrysler itself and they have blown me off, and stated they cannot fix the problem the truck has been in the service department more than I have owned it. To the dealer and Chrysler my children and I was nor hurt so that to them is not a problem.

- Jackson, MS, USA

May 012006

Durango 8-cyl

El motor de mi durando 2005 de repente SE apago, la lleve con el distribuidor Y reseteo la computadora, pero como 3 mees mas tarde volvio a ocurrir, urge que analicen el problema mas a fondo.

- Delicias, 00, USA

Oct 022006

Durango 4WD

: the contact stated while traveling various speeds on normal road conditions, the vehicle stalled and the steering became inoperable. The vehicle was taken in a local dealer who referred the contact to another dealer because the problem could not duplicated. The vehicle was taken to another dealer, who determined there was a misfire in the engine. The dealer was not specific and could not determine the true cause of the problem, but replaced the spark plugs and coils. The type of coils replaced was unknown. The problems persisted on a busy highway during traffic, when the engine stalled almost causing an accident. The vehicle was currently at the dealer for further examination. The vehicle was not included in any recall due to the VIN, however the dealer did not know which component was the cause of the problem.

- Bluffton, SC, USA

Sep 242006

Drove home from a trip and parked our 2005 Dodge Durango in our garage at 11:30 pm and awoke at 5:00 am to smoke alarm to find the inside of our truck on fire. Had our car windows been down, my 2 sons, my husband and myself would be dead. It looks as if something overheated behind the steering wheel inside the dash and ignited.

- Ewing, NJ, USA

Jan 242006

Durango 8-cyl

I purchased a 2005 Dodge Durango from delamaker Dodge, watertown, NY, in Dec of 2005. The vehicle had 218 miles on it. A few weeks later I was involved in an accident and hit a tree and telephone pole. Dealmaker and the insurance company determined that the vehicle would not be totaled, but rather repaired. I have had nothing but problems with the vehicle. My biggest comcern is that the vehicle shuts off on me while operating. I have contacted Chrysler and I am told that they can do nothing because it is a repair issue. Dealmaker states that it is manufacture defect. Most recently dealmaker drove my vehicle for 3 weeks and put 500 miles on it, but found no trouble. Two hours after I picked the vehicle up it shut off on me and the check engine light came on. Both are issues that have been ongoing and both were the reason they had my vehicle. The main computer shorted out and was replaced a few months ago. I was told that was a manufacturer defect as well.

- Cape Vincent, NY, USA

Jun 302006

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I have 2 2005 Dodge Durango's one was in a head on collision and was totaled it help save my life. So I purchased the same auto again but red, the problem with this one is that it will stall out for no reason. It will start again but it continues to do the same thing I have had it at the dealership more than 4 times for the same thing this time twice in one week and they had to keep it over the holiday weekend. You buy a new auto and expect it to be safe and run.

- Waco, KY, USA

May 312006

Durango 4WD 4-cyl

: the contact stated the vehicle suddenly stalled in traffic on four occasions. Speed does not appear to play a role, as it was different each time. This is the fourth incident within one year. There was no warring prior to each incident. The vehicle restarted immediately. The dealership has been unable to duplicate the problem.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Nov 292005

Durango 8-cyl

2005 Dodge Durango engine stalled. 10156266 during a sharp right turn the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer installed a software patch but that did not solve the problem. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where they installed a front power train control module and some secondary unit which was supposed to fix the problem. Three days later the vehicle stalled again while driving in a parking lot.

- Salt Point, NY, USA

Apr 072006

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Pulling up to a stop sign/light or turning into a parking lot/side street, the vehicle's power dies and engine stops. I have to roll to get out of the way with no power steering or brakes, turn on my hazards so other cars can go around me and know something is wrong, and try and get out of way. There are no warning signs, the car just dies. It takes several attempts to restart before car starts up again. The problem started very quickly after car was bought and happened 4 times. I brought it into dealer and they "reflashed" the computer. It has been ok for a while, but a few weeks ago it died once again.

- Barrington, IL, USA