CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Oct 142016

Durango

The vehicle starts fine and typically runs fine, but stalls out randomly. This started happening about 8 months ago, and happens about 3 times a week now. Sometimes it stalls on the freeway at 60 mph and you lose power steering and brakes, but most of the time it happens when decelerating to turn a corner, which is really frustrating as you lose power steering and brakes and has caused me to go off the road or hit curbs if I can't muscle the vehicle through the remainder of the turn. Luckily I haven't been in an accident due to this yet, but it is only a matter of time. The check engine light is not on, and there are no issues with the dash lights and gauges. The Dodge dealer says they are not aware of any issues, but online forums show hundreds if not thousands of people having the same issue with this vehicle.

- Ocoee, FL, USA

Aug 122016

Durango

This vehicle routinely stalls and shuts off while drive, decelaration, coasting, and also while at a complete stop. I have already had one accident due to this issue and has become increasingly dangerous to drive.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Sep 102016

Durango

I have a 2005 Dodge Durango with the 5.7 hemi engine.. it has 80,000 miles and just recently the engine started shutting off at random times when driving, mostly when I hit a bump in the road.. I have researched this with the national highway safety board website and see there is a hundreds of complaints from feburary 2005 thru present.. there was an investigation opened in 2005 PE05-027 then it was transferred to an engineering analysis ( EA05-018) and then nothing.. I would like to know if the NHTSA dropped the ball on this?? there is no further answers to the complaint.. please advise me what do I have to do to get a N answer to this problem, which is a manufactures error that is going to get me killed or someone else.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Mar 102014

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While driving at any speed, the vehicle stalled and shut down without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was driven to a mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Bloomfield, CT, USA

Aug 042016

Durango

When in motion, vehicle's RPM will drop to 0 (randomly, no way to tell when coming), along with a loss of power steering and various electronics within the vehicle. Problem is usually fixed by restarting vehicle, but it has been very dangerous - especially on the highway. Has happened at least 5 times during my ownership of the vehicle (4 years)

- Belvidere, IL, USA

Jul 292016

Durango

The car stalls alot whenever you're at a light or going slow speeds. Will turn off and needs to be turned on. The ignition locks and the key wont turn when trying to turn the car on. The airbag light is constantly blinking when the driver seat belt is not on. When the seatbelt is on, the airbag light is permanently on. This morning the front passenger tire area make a loud clunk when I turned left. Shortly after as I was going about 35 mph it felt as if I had a flat tire so I pulled over. Turns out the entire ball joint had broken and the front passenger tire had fallen to the side.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 152016

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 40 mph, an abnormal noise was heard in the front of the vehicle. In addition, the check engine warning light and oil warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician refused to diagnose the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 128,000.

- Woolwine, VA, USA

Jun 012007

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the cause of the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- La Canada Flintridge, CA, USA

May 102016

Durango

When stopping or turning at slower speeds my car dies all of a sudden this has put me in situations where I have almost wrecked, after taking it to the dealer a few times and then telling me nothing is wrong I find out that this has been investigated on 2 occasions but no recall !!!!! this is putting my family, myself and other people on the road at risk this happens when I am slowing down coming to a stop

- Spaulding, IL, USA

Apr 132016

Durango

My Durango has only 28,000 mi. Drove about 2 mi. For my pt and an hour later I could not get my Durango started after several attempts. Called a tow company and had my car towed to a licensed mechanic. After the vehicle sat for about 6 hours, the mechanic started the car and said he can not find anything wrong so take the car home. I went on line and found a website where people shared their experiences with their 2005 Durango and I am very, very afraid to drive my car now. They wrote that they have had experiences when the engine would stall while driving on the road. What is going on" no recall for this problem/phenomena"

- Wailuku, HI, USA

Mar 052016

Durango

Both the crankshaft position sensor and the 2 4 transmission solenoid constantly go bad. The result is loss of power and/or engine shuts off. In a scenario where the vehicle is traveling on a highway/roadway at high speed, this may cause a collision. I have replaced the crankshaft position sensor 4 times in 6 months and the 2 4 transmission solenoid twice.

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 312015

Durango

Opened the drivers door after a storm and observed standing water in the drivers side floorboard. Tried to start but the battery was dead. (daily driver w battery @ 1yr old). Placed battery on a charger and was able to start motor. Engine was reving between idle and 1500 RPM rapidly and would not respond to throttle inputs. Instrument cluster lights all on and navigation display was on but not legible. Looked for the source of the water, and it appears to be coming from around the drivers side front pillar area and leaking down the inside kick panel.

- Humble, TX, USA

Oct 132015

Durango

While driving at variable speeds my 2005 Dodge Durango slt 5.7L truck, without warning, will shut-off making it hard to stop & steer to safety. This has happened several times but the most recent & severe time was yesterday, I was at a speed of 55 mph on 695 when my Durango shut-off without warning. I was able to pull onto the shoulder without causing a accident. My Dodge was able to restart without warning lights flashing or indication but will randomly shut-off without warning at least 4-6 times a week while driving.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 012015

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000. In addition, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V313000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact had not experienced an air bag failure.

- Summerton, SC, USA

Aug 262015

Durango

My car repeatedly cuts off while I am driving. I noticed that other people have the same issue with the same model as I have which a 2005 Dodge Durango. I did my research and it was identified by Dodge as a low maneuver issue. One incident that happens a few days ago was that my vehicle shut off on a curve while merging on the highway. I am very luck that it was a car behind me and they were not going fast. My car shut off and I lose control of the steering because of the loss of power. I have to put the car in park and then try to start the vehicle. I would like this issue addressed I have complained about this since 2006.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Aug 192015

Durango

I turned left sharply into a parking spot and the vehicle completely stalled on me upon doing this. I lost all engine power, steering and brake control. I was able to restart the vehicle immediately and park the vehicle. For the previous 3 weeks or so the vehicle has sputtered and been sluggish when turning sharply into parking spots or around sharp corners but has never stalled. 8/19/15 was the first incident of the vehicle completely stalling.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Aug 172015

Durango

The car dint show any sing of having problem staring or stalling or nothing the engine just made a big noise like something blew up and everything shut off. I am glad I dint had my kids with at the time cuz I was driving all day and the truck was fine it doesn't make sense how it just blew up out of nowhere and for only having 105 miles on it its too soon when everything was done in time.

- Rockville Centre, NY, USA

Jun 012015

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle, the service brakes and the service engine warning lights illuminated. In addition, there was smoke coming from the engine. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 177,000.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Jul 232015

Durango quit runing wile going 45 mph

- Granville, NY, USA

Jul 122008

Durango

Engine stalled several times during vehicle turns. This occurs every year with the vehicle especially during warm weather months. Currently still own vehicle and had one injury accident in 2013 directly related to stalling issues.

- Klamath Falls, OR, USA