CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Aug 122008

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. This was a recurring failure. The vehicle was driven to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure; however, the technician replaced the spark plugs, fuel filter, and vents. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. The VIN was not available.

- Klamath, OR, USA

Jun 012015

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While driving at various speeds, the contact noticed an abnormal clicking noise from beneath the vehicle. The svc, 4WD, and 4lo warning lights illuminated. The engine revved independently. When the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to accelerate. When making a turn, the steering wheel seized and required excessive force. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the tie rod and front end suspension, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 183,000. Updated 09/25/15

- Brockton, MA, USA

Jun 122013

Durango

Engine stalls with no warning, affecting braking and steering while moving, has happened in heavy traffic, is intermittent and is a huge safety concern.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jun 112013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The vehicles dash board lights will all light up, at one point I would have the gas floored and it would feel like I'm towing a house it started getting worse to the point the car would stall while driving so I would put it in neutral and it would start back up when the lights aren't on it runs fine but once the light come on the dash board it acts up and all the lights come on temperature, check engine, air bag, 4X4, oil light, battery light, etc Dodge flashed my computer it worked for a week and then started again I have had many mechanics look at it along with Dodge and no one can figure out the problem, recently starting 5/27/15 the problems have proceeded to get extremely dangerous now once all the lights light up it stalls and may not restart several times I've been stuck on the highway waiting an hour or two to restart it and now it only gets me a few feet then stalls plus its now doing it with no lights on the dash, rpms, mph etc, and when it drives sometimes there is nothing on dash but when I hit brakes all the gauges will shoot up temperature and fuel even if its not a full rank it will say it then when I step on gas the dash board goes out, I have contacted corporate Dodge to resolve this issue telling them I've seen several numerous complaints the same as mine but yet no recall so they now want me once again to take it to Dodge, June 9th 2015, but today June 3rd 2015, I stalled in the street on rt 9 and it would not start at all to the point I had to call a tow truck then once the tow truck dropped it at my house it started but all the lights were lit up on dash, if I was able to post pictures and videos on here I would because I video the dash every time it does it and I plan to show Dodge the videos on the 9th, Dodge needs to resolve this issue.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Jan 042013

Durango

I'm contacting you in regards to my 2005 Dodge Durango. I have encountered it stalling making turns, driving down the street and at lights. I have researched the issue after having a tune up on the vehicle with no success. After researching, I have found that thousands of people are having the same exact issue. I have printed off from several sites the complaints identical to mine. This is definitely a recall for this vehicle and should be replaced by Chrysler/Dodge. I have found that a lot of people are finding that the issue is the egr system. The same thing with the air bag issue that I'm receiving, I'll be driving down the road and get an alert that the passenger air bag was turned off when someone is in the seat. There is two recalls in place now for air bag issues. I really hope that you will investigate this and reach out to Chrysler to get this resolved for consumers.

- Clarksburg, WV, USA

Dec 172014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle would high idle then when put in gear it would not take gas and would continue to run even after putting it in park and turning the key off and taking it out. This is a very serious problem I would like an investigation to see if anyone else has had this same problem. I would like a response please this scares me alot.

- Prestonsburg, KY, USA

Jun 142010

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While driving at 40 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine and air bag warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The contact was unsure about the part that needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V817000 (air bags) however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Eatonton, GA, USA

Mar 212012

Durango

This vehicle occasionally stalls, leaving no power steering or power brakes. This was not a single incident; this has happened probably 50 times over the past 4 years. It has happened at multiple vehicle speeds, and has happened in both forward ("drive") and reverse gears. The vehicle has always immediately restarted, and it drives normally after restarting. There is no warning or indication that the engine is about to stall, and no check engine (or other) light comes on before or after the incident. The most recent incident happened after dropping my son off at his school. While driving through the school parking lot to leave, the vehicle stalled and I wasn't able to control it (very high steering effort, difficult to stop). I almost hit another vehicle. I also realized the severity of this problem because it could have been a child instead of another vehicle which I nearly struck. A quick web search produced results showing other drivers of Dodge Durangos have experienced the same stalling phenomenon, so I'm confident that this is a defect in the design or manufacturing of the vehicle, and not just a single case of my vehicle being bad. Please look into this further, as it has the same safety implications as the ignition switch failures within GM.

- Pontiac, MI, USA

Dec 102014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While approaching a stop light, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the throttle needed to be cleaned. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The contact replaced the egr valve, the spark plugs, and the transmission fluid however the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, who diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The contact replaced the throttle body but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,900. Updated 4/13/15 the consumer stated the cooler line was leaking. Updated 04/16/15

- Clearfield, PA, USA

Feb 152014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

On any number of occasions (regardless of outside temperature or whether or not the vehicle was at normal operating temperature) while the vehicle is at a slow speed (in forward or reverse) the engine will stall without warning. With the loss of engine power comes the normal loss of power steering and power brakes. It appears to be most frequent when pulling into or out of a parking lot, stop sign, etc. The slow speeds are not inherently dangerous, except for the fact that stalling while in traffic and suddenly reducing speed or stopping puts myself and other motorist in jeopardy. When backing into a parking space, the loss of steering and braking capabilities create a risk of minor damage to other parked cars and could put a pedestrian at risk while being distracted and not being able to stop or steer as easily. There are no obvious sounds or engine or transmission noises or vibrations or anything to give warning that this could occur.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

May 202005

Durango

I bought my 05 Durango back in may of 05 and I've had to deal with all three of the major complaints, the fuel spewing out, the stalling, and the 4X4 activating! the fuel thing I always noticed but always thought it was something that just happened. The 4X4 engaging happened when it still had the power train warranty so I took it to the dealer to get it repaired. The good thing is that they fixed it, the bad thing is that it wasn't covered under the warranty! they told me that they replaced the 4X4 control module and I haven't had a problem since then! I'm not positive if that's the name of the module. This was back in 2008 and I haven't had that problem since then. Hopefully that helps some that are dealing with that same issue! the stalling happens here and there, not too often and usually when I'm at a stop sign. I love my Durango, just hate the way Dodge is just leaving all its customers on their own when there should be recalls for all these issues!! acting like they've never heard of those problems when every owner has the same issues! ill never buy Dodge again! and it sucks because im looking into buying a new car, and I like the new Durango. But there's no way I'll buy Dodge, or Chrysler for that matter!

- Livingston, CA, USA

Feb 012015

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at 55 mph, the instrument panel lights failed and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 130,200.

- Memphis, MS, USA

Jan 052015

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Transfer case motor engages while driving going from AWD to four wheel lo. This can potentially cause a very bad accident. 4wlo light flickers and transfer case motor engages even with vehicle shut off.

- Webster, NY, USA

Jun 092014

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 5 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The contact also stated that there was a ticking noise when driving. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Streamwood, IL, USA

Sep 012014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Stalling at various speeds (15 to 40 mph). Complete loss of power. Sometimes will re-start in park and sometimes in neutral. Changed crank and cam sensor. Had throttle body cleaned. Fuel injector cleaner used. Nothing fixed the problem. This is not the Durango problem with the "leaking cowl". had the cowl gasket replaced. There is no water dripping on the engine causing misfire or "hydro locking". soon after SUV would not start at all. The Dodge dealership replaced the PCM (main computer) costing almost $1300.stalled twice since then. Dangerous problem

- Cary, NC, USA

Sep 092014

Durango

The Dodge Durango 2005 model in my case will shut off very often now when the steering wheel is turn...this often times happen when pulling in or backing out of a parking lot and the vehicle would take up 5-20mins to restart.this happen when the vehicle is cold or warm it doesn't matter.I have seen online this is a wide spread problem with the Durangos and I'm wondering why are folks allowed to suffer through this issue in the mean time the dealership pretend as if they're not aware of the issue which is clearly a lie from all the complaint I've seen online about this very issue...going back for years....

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Jun 022014

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle in wet conditions, the engine suddenly began to misfire and the check engine light illuminated. The contact indicated that the vehicle had stalled on several occasion while being operated in the rain or after washing the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the problem was caused by water leaking into the engine compartment causing the engine sensor to activate. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but no assistance was offered. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 092010

Durango

Vehicle purchased used in June 2010. Within days of purchase, vehicle began stalling while pulling out into traffic. Vehicle was returned to the dealer several times. Egr valve was replaced and throttle service done, idler pulley replaced. Stalling problem continued to occur on and off along with hard shifting, hesitating, lack of power issues. Transmission rebuilt in Jan 2012 after it "froze" backing out of the driveway. Bell housing leak detected and fixed in June 2012. Stalling worsened, occurring not only from start up but while traveling straight in acceleration to speeds just above 40 mph. Revving in park, neutral and while stopped in traffic started in early 2013 and continues today. Have had vehicle in for service on numerous occasions with no fix to the problem. Torque converter clutch, water pump, fuel injector, coil, vacuum sensor, air intake sensor, knock sensor, PCV valve, plugs and wires have all been replaced or repaired but problems persist. This vehicle is a danger as it stalls without warning in heavy traffic and when pulling out into traffic and revs so high at stops that I have had to put both feet on the brake to prevent it from lurching into the vehicle in front of me.

- Utica, NY, USA

Aug 142009

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

My vehicle shuts off while driving. This has happened multiple times. I can't steer the vehicle because everything shuts off. It is very dangerous and I am very concerned. I have read many of the same complaints on the internet from people having the same problems.

- Jeannette, PA, USA

Sep 242014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle engine shut off/stalled with no warning. Dash lights turned off, brakes wouldn't work.

- Keyser, WV, USA