CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 3 of 23)

Jun 012011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

To whom it may concern, I have a 2005 Dodge Durango 5.7L. Recently after filling the fuel tank the fuel "spits back" out of the filler tube and down the side of the vehicle to the ground. I have read numerous complaints online for this exact problems on these and other Chrysler group vehicles. I started a case with Chrysler and took the vehicle to the dealership as they wanted. After the inspection they determined that my vehicle does not fall under a recall for the exact same problem. There is a tsb # 14-001-09 to repair this problem, but, my vehicle is not in the VIN range for the repairs. I feel it is more of a safety issue and an environmental issue than an inconvenience. The dealer states that the fuel tank needs replaced at a cost of over $800 for the tank and 2.5 hours of labor. The fuel tank does not take that long to replace. Is there anything that can be done to get these vehicles repaired" or should we just continue to spill raw gasoline on the ground after every fill up" if I were the only person having these issues I would take ownership of the needed repairs and fix it myself but, as we know there are thousands of vehicles with the same issue. Please contact me if there is any solution to this problem. Thanks.

- Silt, CO, USA

Oct 022011

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while refueling, fuel leaked from underneath the vehicle. The fuel cap and engine warning light also illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The contact replaced the fuel cap, but the failure continued. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number 05V034000 (fuel system, gasoline:storage:tank assembly:filler pipe and cap), that may be related to the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Holden, ME, USA

Mar 242009

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the filler inlet valve would not stop fuel from flowing into the fuel tank when refueling. The failure would cause gasoline fuel to be spilled out of the tank and onto the ground or the contact. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 05V034000 (fuel system, gasoline:storage:tank assembly:filler pipe and cap). The dealer was not contacted and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 59,000. Updated 06/01/12

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Mar 192012

Durango

Before gas nozzle clicks off. Gas sprays back out the tank and goes all over person, car, and ground. After the spray of gas the nozzle will click off

- Pottstown, PA, USA

Jan 272012

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that after refueling, a large amount of fuel would continue to emit from the filler neck and onto the ground and the contact's clothing. There was a recall associated with the failure under NHTSA campaign number 05V034000 (fuel system, gasoline:storage:tank assembly:filler pipe and cap); however the contact's VIN was not included. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the fuel tank inlet check valves were being replaced. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Elgin, OK, USA

Mar 272012

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while refueling, fuel spilled out from the filler neck. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance since the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 05V034000 (fuel system, gasoline:storage:tank assembly:filler pipe and cap). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 44,000.

- Farmington Hill , MI, USA

Jan 012010

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

When refueling, it causes the pump to stop sending fuel and then the fuel gushes out all over the vehicle, nozzle, and ground. Mine is much worse than this example: www.youtube.com/watch?V=B0-_9wg6dw4 I called the dealership in richmond, ky and they said my VIN did not fall in their tsb/recall for this very same symptom.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Apr 012010

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that fuel spilled onto the ground while fueling the vehicle. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic test erformed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 47,000 and the current mileage was 107,000. The VIN information was not available.

- Harmony , MN, USA

Mar 152011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

My gas tank splashes back at me when I fill it. When I went to get it checked out I was informed that my VIN number was not on the recall list that is stating an identical problem to other 2005 Dodge Durangos.

- Sequim, WA, USA

Mar 012010

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that when refueling to full capacity, the filler cap would not shut off and cause fuel to leak onto the ground. The dealer and the manufacturer were notified of the failure, but denied any assistance stating that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 05V034000 (fuel system, gasoline:storage:tank assembly:filler pipe and cap). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 97,000 and the current mileage was 130,000.

- Fort Hood, TX, USA

Oct 032011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

When I fill up with gasoline, if I do not stop 2 gallons shy of a fill or slow it to a trickle, it will spew about a 1/2 gallon of gasoline down the side of the vehicle. I have done an online search and found Chrysler is recalling close to 25,000 2005 Dodge Durango vehicles as the fuel tank filler tube inlet check valve may not fully close at the end of refueling. This could allow some fuel to escape from the vehicle through the filler neck at the end of refueling. I called and my particular 2005 Durango was no included in the recall while clearly having this same problem. I would like to see if Dodge would expand their recall to those experiencing this exact problem.

- Weston, NE, USA

Aug 112010

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The fuel filler spits fuel back out of the tank while filling causing an overflow onto the truck, the ground, and the person filling the fuel tank. Dodge has issued selective recalls for this same issue, but apparently there aren't enough complaints about my particular year to do anything about the problem. (according to Dodge customer service) there are recalls for Durango's both newer and older than mine for the same issue. Apparently a health hazard and a fire hazard isn't a concern to Dodge unless enough people complain...what exactly is that cutoff point?

- Manchester, NH, USA

Mar 152010

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the fuel tank would overflow when filled, which the contact advised was caused by a defective rollover valve. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that he has to replace the fuel tank to repair the failure. The manufacturer was notified and a claim was filed. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Butler, NJ, USA

Aug 012011

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that fuel emitted from the fuel tank while refueling. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was contacted, and confirmed that the VIN failed to qualify for repairs under NHTSA campaign id number: 09V003000 (fuel system, gasoline:storage:tank assembly). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 68,000 and the current mileage was 78,000.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Feb 202012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

When fueling my vehicle, the gasoline always overflows and spills out onto the ground and myself when the tank gets full. My VIN # was not included in the recall and we just bought this used from a dealership. Is there any way we can get this remedied at no more cost to us?

- Feura Bush, NY, USA

Mar 032012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

While filling up the gas tank, gas sprayed out once the tank hit full. I called Dodge due to the fact there was a recall on this exact incident with the same year, make, and model. I was informed that my VIN was not one of those that was included in the recall. But I was offered to go ahead and pay for the repair and then call them back and they would give me a Chrysler address I could send a copy of the original form of payment and the detailed bill and they might reimburse me for my expense.

- Taylors, SC, USA

Jan 112012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

When I fill up the gas on my 2005 Dodge Durango the gas comes spraying out the filler hose all over the side of the truck and at one time the gas sprayed on my clothing also. This could be a serious issue if I happened to smoke, but it's a good thing that I don't. I contacted the dealer and they indicated that my truck is not on the list of vehicles that are included in the repair.

- Shelby Twp, MI, USA

Mar 022011

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that after refueling the vehicle, fuel spewed back out of the filler neck. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who advised the contact that they would contact him at a later date. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 60,359.

- North Hollywood, CA, USA

Feb 012011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that gasoline would spill when the fuel tank was filled to capacity. The contact spoke with the manufacturer and was told to take the vehicle to the dealer. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was determined that the inlet check valve and the fuel tank would need to be replaced. The manufacturer advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 09V003000 (fuel system, storage tank: Assembly) and would provide no assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 60,000 and 70,000. The current mileage is 80,000. Updated 04/19/12

- Quancico, VA, USA

Nov 152011

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that when refueling the vehicle, fuel would leak out of the valve and spill. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they diagnosed the failure stating that the fuel tank needed replacement. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 61,355 and the current mileage was 63,103.

- Bethlehem, PA, USA