Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The third generation Durango is plagued by a defective TIPM, particularily in the 2011 and 2012 model years.

TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Modules, is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when your TIPM goes haywire, bad things start happening. Things like your water pump can stop working, your engine can stall out and your airbags can randomly deploy.

2011 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Durango:

2011 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Aug 282016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 10 mph, there was a loud noise. The contact pulled into the driveway, looked under the vehicle, and noticed a large puddle. The vehicle was driven to a mechanic who diagnosed that the water pump gasket and bearing housing failed. The water pump, coolant, and thermostat were replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 89,600.

- Grand Forks, ND, USA

Aug 012016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving 70 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 44,000. The VIN was not available.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 222016

2011 Dodge Durango recall# 14V634000, electrical system, alternator. The truck was in motion on a busy city street and stopped abruptly. The entire computer system went out, causing the alternator, and the battery to be disabled. Dodge refused to reimburse for the 2K we paid in repairs.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 042016

Vehicle in motion traveling at 65 mph. Vehicle lost all engine and electrical power. No lights or indicators on dashboard. No power steering. Limited braking power. Coasted the vehicle out of traffic to the shoulder of the road. Shifted vehicle into park and waited 5 minutes. After 5 minutes electrical power returned and was able to start vehicle and drive it home. Found complaints online of similar problems.

- Nashotah, WI, USA

Aug 172016

The car has an intermitent that during the transition from cold engine operation to warm engine if you take your foot off of the gas (to slow down for a traffic light or to make a turn) the engine will stall, losing power steering. It is intermittent in that it must be at a certain point in the warm up cycle. I am unable to let my daughter drive the car as she does not have the strength to control the car without power steering.

- Walled Lake, MI, USA

Feb 162016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed engine oil leaking from the timing chain into the alternator. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the left cylinder and timing chain gasket needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. A few months later, while driving 25 mph, the battery warning light illuminated. After shifting the vehicle into park, the contact noticed smoke coming from the alternator. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system), but the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Cheektowaga, NY, USA

Jul 112016

I was driving with my kids getting our day started. I turn on with remote start was making loud screeching sound. Loaded up kids and started to take off. We could all smell a bad burning smell. I check all temps on car and nothing read high temperature. I drove on my way to daycare when my car stalled and shut down. And it had previously did this B4 like 4 months or so and a recall of fuel pump was done and had been running fine till this day. I tried starting it a few times nothing. Finally turn on and battery light came on. I drove it to drop of my 3 kids at camp when it kept feeling like it wanted to turn of. Still smelling burning. Finally I'm headed to work and it stalled in middle of intersection. Thank god I didn't have my kids with me and no accidents happened. I had car towed to local mechanic because dealership is and hour away. He said alternator gave out. Put new alternator in still nothing. 600 dollars down drain. Now I have to pay towing to get to dealership which will mean just more money down the drain which I don't have the extra money and use this car for wk so hopefully I don't lose my job. I don't understand how I have same exact problems as another 2011 Durango under recall but mine ain't one of them. Do you have to wait till someone is seriously hurt or killed to have a recall. If none of this is resolved properly I will be hiring a lawyer. I have only had vehicle for 2yrs.

- Las Vegas, NM, USA

May 032016

I had a battery light in the morning, but my battery was new. As I was driving my air conditioning stopped working, my radio screen flashed, went off and the entire car died while in motion, I barely stopped in time. The engine wouldn't even try, and me and my two infant children were stranded in the middle of a busy street in 100 heat. The police officer had to help us, we called a tow truck to take us home. The mechanic who looked at the car said the alternator internally grounded and fried the computer and the battery and explains the burning smell just prior to the car dying.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Apr 192016

The vehicle stalls while you are driving it happens frequently and there is no fix that has been found to stop this issue. It has happened while driving on streets and the highway. This has happened multiple times.

- Upland, CA, USA

Apr 092016

While on the highway I a check battery light appeared on my dash, I planned on checking into it at the upcoming gas station which was about 3 miles away, as I approached the offramp to the gas station all kinds of check engine lights and ABS and you name it started showing in my dash followed by the wipers and next thing you know the car dies out. Lucky for me there was no vehicle in front of me because I could not steer or brake because it was very hard or locked, I managed to pull over just before the gas station and sensed the smell of burned wire, I noticed I was not completely off the road so I tried putting vehicle in neutral but it was locked in park, also my key was stuck in the ignition. Local mechanic changed the battery first and still had the check battery light on so he reccomended a new alternator as well which I bought immediately, $900 later here I sit with new alternator and baterry but still the same problem with vehicle stalling and check battery light on. Dealer says my vehicle is not in the P60 recall even though I have/had the same 160 amp alternator as the recalled vehicles. This is a serious issue which can become deadly if not fixed asap. Im sure of one thing, never in my life will me or my family buy a Dodge again.

- Wildomar, CA, USA

Mar 262016

Alternator failed over heating electrical wiring and causing battery and computer chip failure. The problem occurred on the road but I was able to make it to a parking lot. I did smell smoke and felt heat but there was no ignition of fire. My car was completely disabled. No electrical activity. The symptoms are the same as recall #14V634000.

- Estherville, IA, USA

Nov 272015

Local auto repair shop tested tipm and other parts and found nothing but I'm still having an issue starting my car when my vehicle sits longer than 5 hours. I am not able to afford new tipm for $1200. I understand tipm issue is pending class action settlement. I would like to Dodge dealer to provide a significant discount so that I can replace tipm of my vehicle.

- Hazel Crest, IL, USA

Dec 162015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving at various speeds, the check engine light was constantly illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the spark plugs and coils failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to be diagnosed and was informed that the sixth cylinder spark plug failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 78,000.

- St. Michael, AZ, USA

Feb 122016

2 different episodes of unexpected vehicle shutdown/stalling. First event was in the process of a left hand turn. Vehicle shut down partway through the turn. Lost all power steering and brakes. Struggled to keep the vehicle out of the ditch. Put the vehicle in park, and it restarted immediately, and continued home uneventfully. Approximately 2 months later, the vehicle again unexpectedly stalled at a traffic light. The light turned green, and I took my foot off the brake, and the vehicle stalled. Again, it restarted uneventfully and I continued to work. The vehicle appears to be working normally otherwise. Acceleration and fuel economy are normal, and there are no episodes of hesitation/stuttering/missing. There was no warning of the stall either time. Both episodes were approximately 5 minutes into my drive, and the vehicle should have been mostly warmed up each time, but perhaps not all the way. The "exact" moment of the stall seems to coincide with removing my foot from the brake, once to turn and once to accelerate. The Durango was taken to the dealer that same day each time, and there were no significant error codes.

- Fremont, OH, USA

Jan 072016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at 75 mph, a strange resistance was felt in the accelerator pedal while the oil warning light illuminated. The vehicle began to shake violently while an abnormal noise was heard. The contact stated that a fire was observed coming from under the front of the vehicle. The fire was extinguished by the fire department. A fire report was filed. No injuries were sustained. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the failure was not determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 87,303.

- Alexandria, LA, USA

Jan 082016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 62 mph, the engine stalled with every warning light illuminated. In addition, the key failed to remove from the ignition switch. The contact attempted to jumpstart the battery from another vehicle, but the jumper cable cord burned. The vehicle was not able to restart. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or diagnosed. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Smyrna, TN, USA

Dec 222015

The vehicle loses power, engin shuts off while driving for no explainable reason

- Winthrop, MA, USA

Oct 202015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. After the vehicle was parked, the vehicle would not shut off. The failure happened without warning. The vehicle was able to be turned off after a brief period of time. The failure occurred twice. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was approximately 43,000.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Sep 232015

Bought used, had car less than 12 hours and car stalled while driving thru 90 degree corner on highway. Loss of power =no power steering=accident waiting to happen. Called dealer and returned next day. They completed an outstanding recall. Problem not fixed, had car back 7 days, stalled again twice in one day. Returned to dealer, had it a week and a half and could not get to replicate, cleaned and adjusted fcw sensor. Had car back 4 days and stalled again. Back to service now for 2 weeks. Making payment on car that I haven't had very frustrating. Always occurs going thru corners. Very scary and lucky no traffic behind me since I have to put in park to restart by push button ignition. I am very disappointed with Dodge as I have read several similar complaints with no resolution. The dealer is now offering to take car back and trade for something else or refund my money (lemon law). I was in love with this car but don't know that I want to stick with Dodge after all of these issues. It seems that people have been fortunate not to get into a serious accident and I hope that Dodge figures this out before someone loses their life.

- Poland, IN, USA

Sep 242015

The car will crank but will not start. When pressing the push to start button it turns over like its going to start but will not start. After taking it to the dealership for recall work it has the same re-occuring issue. Dodge says that it was fixed but I now have to take it to an independant repair shop to pay out of pocket for a known issue with this vehicle. This is a common problem with this make and model and should be paid for and fixed by mopar and not the customer!

- Phenix City, AL, USA