Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: When the 3rd-generation Durango was introduced in 2011 owners almost immediately started having a wide range of issues -- from water pump failure to stalling engines. Turns out the TIPM is to blame and those problems carried into the 2012 model year.

TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Modules) is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when the TIPM starts acting up, so do all sorts of problems in the vehicle.

The problems have been so bad -- and replacement parts became so hard to find -- that a class-action lawsuit was filed against Chrysler focusing on the 2011-2012 Durango. The lawsuit accuses the automaker of ignorning the problem until it spiraled out of control.

2012 Dodge Durango accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Durango:

2012 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Sep 142016

Engine stalled and car shut off. Once from a stop while trying to accelerate and another time while trying to stop. In both instances an accident was nearly avoided. My wife on 9/13 was turning across traffic and the car died and she was almost T-boned. On 9/14 I almost rear ended a car as I was slowing to a stop and lost all power. Wipers will come on randomly on dry, sunny days (while parked or in motion). Car jerks forward intermittently when starting (using remote start or while in the car). Occasionally the car continues to turn over but never actually starts. I have taken this to the dealer 7-8 times and they've never heard of these problems. No error codes recorded. Never able to be reproduced when at the dealer. Contacted another Dodge dealer and they have never heard of these issues either. Took to an independent mechanic and he immediately recognized this as a potential tipm issue. The fuel relay recall was implemented in summer of 2015 which was supposed to resolve these issue. However, all of these problems continue to intermittently occur - with the stalling (and near accidents) just occurring for the first time this past week. Spoke with Dodge yesterday explaining the situation and both dealers didn't want to sell me a new tipm because they weren't sure it would fix the problem and reiterated that the fuel relay recall would fix these issues. When I stated that I am still having the issues they didn't have an answer but were willing to take my car in on trade. We currently have 93000 miles but this started shortly after we purchased the Durango; with well under 40000 miles. We were still under warranty when this started but no fault was ever found when at the dealer.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Aug 102015

08-10-15 I called the dealership where I bought my vehicle, cowboy Chrysler 409-385-3796 about the notice I received about two safety recalls R09 fuel pump relay and P36 sun visor wiring. I was told the dealership had gotten in 15 of the parts and used all 15 to repair vehicles. I was told I would be put on a list and called when more parts came in to the dealership. 08-21-15 I called the dealership again and was told they had gotten in 18 of the parts and I am third on the list to be called when more parts come in. Can you help me get the necessary repair parts delivered to this dealership?

- Vidor, TX, USA