CarComplaints.com Notes: When the 3rd-generation Durango was introduced in 2011 owners almost immediately started having a wide range of issues -- from water pump failure to stalling engines. Turns out the TIPM is to blame and those problems carried into the 2012 model year.

TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Modules) is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when the TIPM starts acting up, so do all sorts of problems in the vehicle.

The problems have been so bad -- and replacement parts became so hard to find -- that a class-action lawsuit was filed against Chrysler focusing on the 2011-2012 Durango. The lawsuit accuses the automaker of ignorning the problem until it spiraled out of control.

2012 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Durango:

2012 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Dec 082016

Durango

I was taking my children to school. We were in morning traffic on a major highway going North. We were in the second farthest left lane. I was driving about 65 mph when the car suddenly began to slow down on its own. The steering wheel locked up. This time we were in a bulk of traffic and an 18 wheeler was behind us. I turned on our emergency lights, looked to the left and had to stick my left arm out the window to signal to the other cars behind us to let us over to the left shoulder. I was able to guide the vehicle to the left shoulder. The radio was still playing. I turned the car off, sat for a moment to calm down and called my husband. I then restarted the car and continued taking my children to school.

Nov 032016

Durango

I was taking my children to school. I had just exited the freeway and slowed down to about 25 mph. As I slowed down the steering wheel locked up. There was no where to veer off in this situation because we were in the farthest left lane that had to turn beneath the underpass. Because we were at a stop light, I was able to turn the emergency lights on, turn the vehicle off and turn it back on. The car shook a little and we continued to school.

Oct 162016

Durango

My son and I were driving to a friend's home. We stopped at a red light and the air in the car became warm. When I tried to push the gas pedal, nothing happened. The steering wheel also locked up. We turned on the emergency lights and restarted the car. The car continued normally.

Jul 162016

Durango

We were driving about 65 mph an were approaching a major highway intersection. The air in the car began to get warm and the steering wheel locked up. We were blessed to be near a shoulder where we could pull over. I turned on the emergency lights and we pulled over to the right side of the freeway. We turned the vehicle off, waited a moment and then turned it back on. The engine shook when the vehicle restarted. We were able to drive home without any additional stopping.

Feb 072016

Durango

I was taking my son to tutorials. I turned right and the steering wheel locked up. To keep from having an accident, I had to slowly veer to the left upon the median. I turned on the emergency lights. The radio was still playing, but the car had simply stopped moving. I pressed the engine button to turn the vehicle off. Then I pressed it again to restart it. It started with no problems and I continued to take my son to tutorials.

Jul 082014

Durango

Several times while driving, the electronic throttle light comes on along with the check engine light and immediately begins to jerk while on the freeway/surface streets. It nearly caused an accident once due to the drastic reduction in power and speed. Service people found nothing wrong and were no help. It has repeated this several times with my kids in the car. When it first happened, we were on a road trip 2200 miles away from home...limited options. Each time we had to stop and rest by turning off engine, waiting/or restarting in neutral. Truly a danger/safety issue and major inconvenience.

- Reno, NV, USA

Jan 062015

Durango

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle accelerated independently. As a result, the vehicle crashed into trees and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact did not sustain any injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V1540000 (service brakes, service brakes, hydraulic). The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Eagle River, AK, USA

Sep 022014

Durango

I have been experiencing issues with vehicle not starting with both the inside push button, and the remote start. It has lost power while driving twice, however I was able to maintain control of the vehicle. Yesterday however, it lost power, I still had control of the vehicle while it was shutting down, then it "powered" back up, during which there was about three seconds in which I had no control over the vehicle. I simply lost all control.I believe that the vehicle may be experiencing problems related to the fuel pump relay, possibly the tpim, alternator, or a combination of all three. I am taking vehicle in Monday to have two recalls done for brake booster, and vanity light wiring issue. At that time they are going to do a diagnostic on it to see what the issue is.

- Brooksville, FL, USA

May 262014

Durango

While traveling on I-75, had the vehicle on adaptive cruise control, the vehicle slammed the brakes and then accelerated back up to 75mph. No vehicles in front, not debris, no reason why it did it. Vehicle has had constant issues with the forward collision system alerting to brake when nothing is in front, turning itself off and on by itself, and the console giving the message that the back sensors are blocked when no debris is present or even when driving. Multiple other "computer" issues that they can't figure out, from lights turning on/off, to the wipers not activating when they need to and the opposite. Dvd player acting funny. It has been endless

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 262014

Durango 6-cyl

Right turning signal turns on by itself and is hard to turn off, could cause an accident by having a car pulling out in front of us believing we are turning. Cruise control does not maintain speed.

- Fort Madison, IA, USA

Jul 232014

Durango

The issue began as I took my truck in for a recall on the brake system. I informed that I was having issues with the cruise control system not functioning. Since then the cruise control issue had a diagnostic that darcars is informing there is not issue but no replacement or suggestions have been presented. I began having problems with the push start around 8/1. when trying to start the truck it will not turn over and eventually will stall out completely. So I attempted to remote start which worked for a couple of days. Soon it began to cause the same problem. Since then I have been starting the car with the key. Until 9/22, on that morning my son stated he heard a hissing sound from the rear driver tire. I also heard this sound at approximately 2:15 pm. Which prompted me to call darcars service center because a vanity light recall was just mailed to us. So I tried to schedule an appointment. Before I left work at 5:30 I attempted to unlock the door and could not without the key being inserted to the door. The car would not crank. I started realizing I was having the same nightmare as others tipm. The car is now being worked on but they are calling the issue everything but what it is so that I purchase a full pump relay, throttle box, and battery. Costing me 1400 plus 140 for another diagnostic please attach to P54 recall multiple stalls and non functioning vehicle.

- Glenarden, MD, USA

Jul 142014

Durango 6-cyl

On several occasions upon pulling out in to traffic the vehicle either stopped accelerating or would not accelerate at all. This has also happened on a few occasions attempting to pass another vehicle. Upon pulling out to pass the vehicle would not accelerate. This is a very unsafe problem that has caused my family to nearly get T-boned after pulling out into traffic. Other owners seem to have similar symptoms which eventually get traced back to a faulty cylinder head. Regardless of how many times the vehicles is sent in for service nothing is done about it until the check engine light shows a trouble code. Chrysler has been aware of this problem since the middle of 2012 but has refused to issue a recall.

- Millboro, VA, USA