Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.

NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.

Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.

This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.

1. push the button myself I guess? (5 reports)
  2. had door lock mechanism replaced (4 reports)
2000 Dodge Intrepid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Dodge Intrepid:

2000 Dodge Intrepid Owner Comments

Nov 042008

Intrepid 3.2L V6

Only one of my doors will unlock with the buttons. When I lock my car, it sounds like a duck screaming bloody murder. In order to get back in the car, I have to unlock the passenger door with my key and climb over my front seat to the driver side. I guess you can say I entertain people at the stores.

- , Rockmart, GA, USA

Jan 012007

Intrepid SE 3.2L V6

I bought this brand new, and have only had a few minor issues with the car. The Passenger Side Rear door lock buzzes when activated. It will only lock, and needs to be unlocked manually. This started sometime in 2007 and just recently the Passenger Front door started to buzz, but it's still locking and unlocking now.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 112008

Intrepid 2.7L Dohc

I really like the look of my INTREPID, but it has been one major disappointment. I know we are to list each problem separately, but I have too many to record. When it comes to my rear driver's side door lock, I manually lock and unlock it. It is really annoying and sometimes I forget and just leave it unlocked.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Jun 012007

Intrepid ES 3.2L V6

This car has been a pain since I bought it. My locks have been busted for about 1.5 years, maybe a little more. When I lock my door it sounds like a little rock and roll band playing in my locks. Very loud noise, but I guess it adds something unique to my car, and to see people turn around and look at the car when they hear it, is pretty comical. I don't want to put another $400 in my car to fix it.

Just fixed a chip in my car also, second time for that, that was $229, but the thing is my interior lights, flicker like a Christmas tree still. These Intrepids need recalled and all of us refunded. Is there anywhere I can get a refund or money for this junk?

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 172007

Intrepid 2.7L V6

Once again, one of the door lock actuators went out this time its the driver side front door that makes all four doors know and this time the price of the part was higher then before, I guess they figured these parts are all ways going out on people so instead of trying to find out why and what the problem is they just raise the price and make a bunch of money off all of us.

- , Ypsilanti, MI, USA

May 162007

Intrepid Sedan 2.7

I've had my 2000 Intrepid for 6 years, and I'm surprised at how reliable it is... I've had no mechanical problems so far. But the power locks make a loud screeching noise, and I have to manually unlock two of the four doors.

- , Boston, MA, USA

May 022007

Intrepid ES V6

I have electrical problems... the lights go off and on. I have problems with the door rubber sealing that keeps falling off.

the major problem is the locks.. it costs so much for the first door lock to be replaced that when the other 2 went bad i couldn't afford to get them replaced.

- , Carlisle, PA, USA

Mar 072007

Intrepid ES 3.2

Rear door locks give off grinding noise when automatic lock comes on. I have to unlock from front doors and then manually unlock. These locks were never fixed. The front door locks / window controls were fixed when they also failed. however, the fix on the driver side window not working properly failed recently again after 1-1/2 years.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 222007

Intrepid ES 2.7L V6

I replaced rf door mechanism about 1 year ago and now the lf and lr mechanism are bad. This is definitely a design fault and Chrysler Corp needs to reimburse for this. Does any one know of any cases against Chrysler. Thank You

- , Pendleton, IN, USA

Jan 182007

Intrepid ES 3.2L V6

Back in 2002 my rear passenger door stopped opening. Cost me $250 to repair. Dealer says the power door lock engine died. It sounded like a buzzer as you hear the gears inside slip. Now in 2006 the front passenger door is doing the same thing. This time I don't feel like paying $250 for new door motor. I just reach over and open the door by hand. Still very annoying.

- , Brick, NJ, USA

Jan 162007

Intrepid 2.5

Had to use passenger door to get in. Like I was paying for a hoopty.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 042007

Intrepid 3.2

it was January.... and i don't know what the hell happened. but i went to open my door, and it wouldn't open... so i pushed, and i apparently broke something, and the motor would push the button up, but not down, and it made the most god awful noises.... so i just disconnected it by unplugging it. i'm not going to pay $100 for another junky plastic geared lock motor

- , Escanaba, MI, USA

Dec 292006

Intrepid 2.7L V6

automatic power door locks not functioning at all. Will not lock when put in drive. Only works manually

- , Taylors, SC, USA