Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.

NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.

Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.

This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.

2000 Dodge Intrepid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Dodge Intrepid:

2000 Dodge Intrepid Owner Comments

Jul 032010

Intrepid 2.7L

I HAVE A 2000 INTREPID 2.7. The water pump, timing chain and 24 valves were replaced because of the poor engineering of the motor when Chrysler/Dodge designed it. Now it intermittently loses all power when I try to start it. The battery is brand new (yesterday) and registers 12.59 vlts. Every so often, I get in to start the car and though the odometer lights go on when I open the door or put the key in, as soon as I turn the key to start it, every thing blacks out; absolutely nothing electrical works; it is as dead as a rock. When this happens and I check the voltage, it reads about 4 vlts until I take the positive lead off the battery. Then the battery will again register 12.59 vlts. This will last for anywhere from part of a day to several days.

Also my master door lock will lock all the buttons when I push it up or down and seldom makes the buttons open by pushing it the correct way. While driving I notice the fan slightly decrease its speed of the lights may dim momentarily. Is my car possessed? Please help me out! Thanks!

- , San Marino, CA, USA