CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.

NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.

Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.

This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.

9.0

$2,900.00

2002 Dodge Intrepid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Dodge Intrepid:

2002 Dodge Intrepid Owner Comments

Mar 242010

Intrepid SE 2.7L V6

Thermostat replaced for $240, then $30 to replace a cracked radiator, 3 cans of Head Gasket Repair and the the Head Gasket still ended up completely failing to where the engine wouldn't turn over. Lost my job from transportation problems then had to move to an apartment where there was Public Transportation to be able to work again.

- , Fayetteville, AR, USA

Nov 052011

Intrepid

Its unbelievable that I just purchased this car in June of 2011. I got it as a graduation gift from my family. Didn't drive it much during the summer I got it up until I got a teacher job in Charlotte. Since I was located in Virginia, I had to drive 5 hours from Virginia to Charlotte several times for interviews and workshops. When I got the car, the mileage was 96K miles. The CarFax showed that it had never been in an accident nor did it have any major problems. Since I've been at my new place of residence, I have spent $1,200 in repairs on the car. New starter, new cam positioning shaft (I think that's the name), and a new radiator. All of these expenses were in a span of 2 months.

After reading the post before this recently on the Dodge Intrepid, I did not know that they had a reputation to have problems like this. Sad that an AMERICAN car company hits AMERICAN'S pockets for AMERICAN money. Is this how car companies are going to manage handling a weakened economy? Smh Never again in life will I EVER purchase a Dodge and I will make it known that Dodge is not a car company to purchase from to all individuals I know.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA