Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.

NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.

Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.

This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.

1. replaced water pump and change oil (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Intrepid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Dodge Intrepid:

2002 Dodge Intrepid Owner Comments

Nov 052013

Intrepid SE 2.7L V6

JESUS H.F*CKING CHRIST DODGE! Not even four months after buying the Intrepid I'm already having problems!I Kick myself in the ass for not reviewing the complaints on this piece of sh*t car before buying the f*cking thing.

My water pump began making a whirring noise one day. I had to get it towed 35 f*cking miles and that tow was the most expensive to date. My mechanic said that coolant had seeped its way into the engine oil and messed up the water pump bearings. Now the question is "why is the water pump in that god forsaken location that had my mechanic working on it for nearly 9 hours????? Nine hours isn't that long but when hours equal $$$$$$$ it's a f*cking lifetime and a burden on my wallet. My mechanic also said that the timing chain looked like sh*t and recommended its replacement..The timing was 10 nightmares plus a god damned massacre on Elm Street.This engine is badly designed."Hey Dodge!S** a f d**!"I was without a car for a week and my six year old daughter had to walk to school. I'm so sick and tired of this crap.It's fixed but .......stay tuned!

- , Oldsmar, FL, USA