2. replaced oil sending unit (2 reports)
  3. a new engine (1 reports)
  4. oil change (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Stratus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Stratus:

2004 Dodge Stratus Owner Comments

Dec 122013

Stratus SE 2.4L

My Dodge started to have the oil light pop up when ever I shifted the car as in Drive to Park / Park to Drive. I checked the oil level and it was a half quart low, but nothing that would set off the oil light. I was more worried it was the oil pump so I sent it to the Dealer right away. Dealer kept it for 2 days as the light was more random than anything.

Found out that it was the Oil Sending Unit. It needed to be replaced and was even leaking a small amount of oil. So small that by the time for a next oil change I didn't even notice something was wrong.

Total Cost was $198.00 which wasn't as bad as I though it would be. This part seems to be very easy to replace yourself and is only 20 dollars on ebay. I just wanted the dealer to check out the car for the first time. I know most people don't have money to throw at a dealership.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 232010

Stratus Coupe SXT 2.4L

So, the first thing what U gotta do is check your oil pressure, if it's about normal just change the oil. If oil pressure is way lower of normal # u have 2 ways to go:

1. Change your oil pressure pump (but it helps, if problem in it)

2. Another reason of oil lamp blinking is a normal wear of parts inside the engine. It is normal cause nothing less forever. So instead recommended 5W30 do your next oil change with 10W40.

- , Va Beach, VA, USA

Jan 102010

Stratus SXT 2.7L

I bought the car off a local dealer and it had 40,000 miles and now it only has 71,000 and just found out that it has to have a new engine and it is a piece of junk!!! Why doesn't the company do something about it, well because that would make them loss money! They dont care about us who still owe on a loan! I will NEVER NEVER buy a dodge again! I am telling everyone not to buy a dodge!

- , Zanesville, OH, USA

Jul 152009

Stratus SE 2.7L V6

Ive had the same problem with my car too it goes away when i put my foot on the gas. I don't know what to do about it I've had the oil changed and everything but it still comes on. Just recently my engine started knocking and making a noise like its out of oil but it has just been changed. Ive had the oil pan cleaned of sludge and the engine to but i still have the knocking sound.

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Jan 032009

Stratus SE 2.4L

I just stated noticing that my oil light started coming on when my rpm's were low(under 1)...i checked oil and it was a little low, added oil, ok for a few weeks and then showed again, checked oil again looked ok, i needed to change oil replaced oil,oil filter and air filter, 2 days the oil light came on again...but only when idling rpm's 1 and under, when i accelerate it goes away , i saw on here that a few other people are having the same problem....what to do, im not over heating,my oil is fine but the light comes on when under idling and at or under 1 RPM.

- , Denver, Colo, USA

Feb 012007

Stratus SE 2.4L

I did not want to incur the cost of having the dealer research the problem but I did call the dealer and described my problem, he suggested that I may have a problem with the oil sending unit. I researched it on the web and found a thread between an online mechanic and an owner, it verified that the sending unit might be the problem.

I later found out that only the dealer carried the part so I had to have it replaced there. Once the unit was replaced, the light on the console went out and then reappeared after about a month. Does not seem to occur until the car is hot and I'm sitting idle with low RPMs. Goes out again with a higher than idle RPMs. No problems during this cold weather. I expect to see it again during the next warm season.

- , Overland Park, KS, USA