Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2007 Ford Edge fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Edge:

2007 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Oct 042014

Edge 6-cyl

I have an 2007 Ford Edge, filled the tank, the next day smelled a fuel odor, 1 week later seen that there is a gas leak. Took the car to a mechanic, stated the seams on the passenger side of the tank are rusted. Have not contacted maunfacture & not repaired. There are alot of gas tank complaints, not too sure why this year has not been recalled. This is a fire risk. A 7 year old car should not have a fuel tank issue.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 132014

Edge 6-cyl

Will be driving along at any speed and car will not accelerate, it does not stall but wrench light comes on and you can't do anything until you shut off the car and restart it. This has happened numerous times and hasn't caused an accident yet, but most certainly will eventually. This problem is well known, but is phrased as stalling when it truly doesn't stall, accelerator just doesn't work and car slows down quickly in traffic.

- Williston, ND, USA

Oct 012014

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 45 mph, the contact smelled fuel. The contact also stated that the fuel tank was fractured. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 116,000.

- Gold Hill, NC, USA

Sep 222014

Edge 6-cyl

I detected a faint odor of gasoline. A week later after vehicle was sitting in the driveway overnight there was an overwhelming odor of gas around the vehicle. Our mechanic found a leaking fuel tank, rusted at the seam, dripping on to the exhaust. Vehicle is not drivable. As of this time the local Ford dealer cannot even give an estimate when a replacement tank might be available and used tanks are apparently difficult to find.

- Carterville, IL, USA

Aug 112014

Edge 6-cyl

Strong fuel smell coming from rear of vehicle. Fuel is leaking slightly at seam and has strong vapor smells. Hasn't been overfilled. I can not park the vehicle in the garage anymore due to the danger of the vapors. This needs to be addressed before someone gets hurt or killed. To many people have already complained on this issue, so why has a recall not been issued?

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jul 222014

Smelling gas fumes. Looked underneath and gas was leaking from fuel tank.

- Pekin,Il, IL, USA

Oct 062014

Edge 6-cyl

Leaking fuel tank. Advised by technician not to park inside enclosed garage due to fire hazard. Ford Motor Company is aware of leaking fuel tanks on these model vehicles and is not assisting owners in repairs or replacement. Replacement cost $2,018 and tanks are on back order. Ford allowing hazardous conditions for vehicle owners.

- Knox, IN, USA

Sep 302014

Edge 6-cyl

I am the owner of a 2007 Ford Edge SE. We recently smelled gas coming from the driver's side of the vehicle. The car was taken to a Ford dealership to have the problem diagnosed. The Ford dealership explained that there was a hole in the gas tank due to corrosion and would need a new gas tank and fuel pump that would cost approximately $1,800 to $2,500 to fix. The dealership refused to complete the work without payment since no recall has been given for the 2007 Edge. We were left with the options of paying for a new gas tank and fuel pump or calling Ford to complain. Another mechanic explained to us that the gas tank is a design default by Ford and no damage was done to the tank by us.

- Nicholasville, KY, USA

Sep 032014

Edge 6-cyl

I notice a strong gas smell. The mechanic told me the seam of the tank is leaking. I have owned multiple (over 20) Ford though out the years and I have never had a tank rust out in 7 years. The repair cost is outrageous if you can find a tank (right now I can not find a tank for under $2000). It looks like I am not the only person having this problem. This should be a recall item.

- Lewistown, MO, USA

Sep 162014

I noticed a smell of gas for two days after completely filling my gas tank the last time. It lasted for 3 days before I decided to take it in to have it looked at. I was then told I have two holes in the top of my gas tank and it would be around $1800 to be replaced. Although, that isn't an option at the moment because the replacement tanks are on back order since this issue is occurring so frequently and they have no specific date of when one will be available. Now I am nervous to drive my car due to concern of fire, but am faced with the uncertainty of how long I will be waiting until a gas tank becomes available.

- Kewanee, IL, USA

Sep 252014

Edge 6-cyl

Smelled gas in garage. Checked leaking. Pulled out on drive. Saw leaking again. Took to mechanic and he verified the seam on the tank had a leak. Told not to set in garage or drive until fixed. Dangerous.

- Olney, IL, USA

Jan 012014

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated that fuel was leaking from the seams of the tank. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Bryon Center, MI, USA

Sep 092014

Edge 6-cyl

I was smelling fuel everytime I walked around my car. I had my boyfriend look at it and he said that the seals on the fuel tank are corroded and that I would need a new fuel tank. After calling Ford, which chooses not to do anything about this, it is going to cost close to $2,700 to have it replaced. I drive my children around in this vehicle. Ford refuses to list this as a recall. Why"?" most people who drive this type of car, has a family or children. It is very scary to think that my car could possibly catch on fire, or worse.

- Wrightsville , PA, USA

Sep 112014

Edge 6-cyl

I recently purchased a 2007 Ford Edge sel AWD. I have had no problems with the vehicle until this past Thursday (09/11/2014) when I put $40 worth of gas in it when it was close to empty. After putting in $40 worth of gas, it gave me a approximately 3/4 tank of gas. I then parked it at my place of work (no incline of any sort) and started to smell gas. The tank is leaking on the passenger side underneath. After work, I drove home (maybe 10 miles) and have not even moved the vehicle until today (09/13/2014) and only have 1/4 tank of gas left. Not only is it leaking gas but the inside of the vehicle wreaks. I have a 2 month old child who I am afraid to take in the vehicle now because the smell is so strong. This issue needs to be resolved as I am not the only person who has complained about this situation. I see that 2008 Ford Edge models have been recalled due to the same problem. I refuse to spend close to $2000 to fix the problem. Thank you.

- English, IN, USA

Sep 052014

For several days prior to and after filling the gas tank, there was a strong smell of gasoline while driving, while parked in garage and while parked in lot. Dealership noted that the gas tank had completely rusted and was leaking at the seam. (although I do live in a northern state, the vehicle has been garaged during winter, washed appropriately, well taken care of and routine maintenance). The dealership customer service and Ford customer service were extremely poor. Ford customer service stated that there is no recall, therefore they will not stand behind their product- this will not be the first review that you will read about this exact same issue. After doing more research, the 2007-2009 models have the same fuel tank and the 2008 model has been recalled for this issue. A 7 year old car should not have to have the gas tank replaced, especially when this is noted at the seam. This manufacturer defect is a safety liability that Ford does not want to claim and refuses to put the safety of it's customers above the financial burden this would cause them. The fumes alone are toxic and if there was any type of spark on the roadway, this could result in a fire, accidents and death. It's sad that an american company has such poor customer service and poor safety standards. This will be the last Ford vehicle that I will own.

- Upper Arlington, OH, USA

Sep 012014

Edge 6-cyl

Started smelling gasoline every time my car was in the garage. Seemed to happen right after I filled up. Researched internet for "2007 Ford Edge fuel smell" and found several complaints and what looks like a very expensive repair (oem fuel tank averages $1700 plus labor). Took car to dealer and found out the fuel tank was defective and needed replacement. Was told by the dealer that it was not safe to drive. Requesting a recall before someone gets killed.

- Wethersfield, CT, USA

Sep 022014

Edge 6-cyl

Gas tank is leaking from the top onto the passengers side of the vehicle when tank is near full. Noticed leak about a week ago.

- New Bedford, MA, USA

Aug 252014

Edge 6-cyl

Heavy gas fumes permeating garage, house and car. Found that gas tank is severely rusted, or "rotted" as the dealer said, in several places. $2100 to fix. Car is only 7 years old! not even due for a tune up yet. There are over 200 complaints on your site of other customers with same issue. Ford says they can do nothing but "document it." Does someone have to be driving on a super-highway and have the tank fall off the car and get killed or have their house explode before Ford does something about it?! please advise. Thank you.

- Troy, IL, USA

Aug 022014

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated that fuel was leaking from the fuel tank due to rust. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing and the technician stated that the rust was due to corrosion of the fuel tank. The fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Lebanon , KY, USA

Aug 152014

Wife filled her 2007 Ford Edge with gas for a trip we were taking the following day brought vehicle home smell strong odor of gasoline noticed gas tank is leaking come to find out this is happening to a lot of the same vehicles and Ford refuses to recall and fix definite problem with these gas tanks consumers should not have to pay for replacement

- Saugerties, NY, USA