Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2008 Ford Edge brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Edge:

2008 Ford Edge Owner Comments

Aug 042015

Pulling out of a parking lot turning right tried to accelerate significant amount of traffic behind me after turning and I couldn't go anywhere. Pulled into the nearest parking lot approx. 50 feet or more piled into parkin spot. Then sat for a couple inured wrench illuminated on dash board. Tried to back up to straighten vehicle and it made a loud clunk noise when putting in reverse. After turning off car went to restart after 30 minutes car made loud clunk again without being in gear. At this time it isn't a recalled item just. Tsb and not getting any resolution as to why this isnt a recall item. Approx. 45 minutes prior to this incident I was on the highway driving the speed limit. What would have happened if the failure occurred at this point. Thank god it didn't as I wouldn't be writing this letter. For the safety of others this should be considered a recall item.

- Battle Creek, MI, USA

Sep 242014

Edge 6-cyl

I pulled out of my driveway and everything was fine. I pulled out of my neighborhood and as soon as I gave it any good amount of gas it starting driving really rough and shaking and the A/C went out you could hear the misfire on the cylinders and the transmission was revving high before it would shift gears. No check engine lights or anything at this point. I turned back around and took my car back home turned it off and then turned it back on and that's when the check engine light came on. We pulled the code and it was P0352 (ignition coil 2 or PCM) so we bought and changed all spark plugs and coil 2. this still didn't fix the problem. So I took it in to the dealership and $3000 later they had to replace my PCM (the main computer that run the car) all 6 coils and spark plugs. I did a lot of research about my car having this problem and it seems like a lot of people are having the same issue. Please recall this. My computer should not have gone out when I do regular maintenance on my car.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Aug 252014

Edge 6-cyl

I was stoped at stop sign my 2008 Ford Edge with no signs of problems. When I started to pull out there was low power and the wrench signal went on. Car would not go faster then 5mph. I was very concerned for cars in back of were impatient and passing. I researched this problem on the inertnet and it seems to be happening with alot of these make and model cars.

- Lehighton, PA, USA

Aug 182014

Edge 6-cyl

Gauges on dash stop working. Tool symbol shows up also tire pressure warning and exclamation mark. Carstarts to slow down. When car is put in reverse it makes a loud clucking noise. Like the motor is gonna fall out. Can't drive it forward but U can go in reverse. This has happened several times. If you let the car sit for a few days it goes back to normal. This has to be a serious problem because lots of people on youtube have posted videos of the same problem! now I'm stuck over 100 miles away from home. Not cool Ford!!!!!

- Vacherie, LA, USA

Apr 042011

Edge 6-cyl

Went through intersection standing on brake pedal, would not stop, left side wheels locked up. Slid on blacktop 2+ car lengths to oncoming traffic shoulder, 2 more car lengths on gravel. Told by repair shop ABS unit not working properly. Could not explain why power went to wheels on the right while driving down road. Was 60,000 and 4 years old. Now 6 1/2 and 67,000 miles, still stuck with it.

- Taylor, MI, USA

Mar 292012

Edge 6-cyl

The vechile loss power and stalled out. After that the car on the second occurrence won"T start had to charge battery the car raced whiled idling and had no power to run. Went back to the dealer and are unable to find any problem. So we are now stuck with a car that will shut down and lose all power which is not safe to drive do to the fact that if we drove it at night and stalls out we lose all power and with no power the other cars may run into us and cause an accident which we are unable to prevent. Thank you this is a dangerous situation. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6)

- Lillington, NC, USA