CarComplaints.com Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

9.7

2008 Ford Edge transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Edge:

2008 Ford Edge Owner Comments

Aug 312008

Edge

Well I bought an 08 Ford Edge 1 month ago with 400 miles on it. Within the last month the veh is shifting really hard into 2nd gear. Shop has confirmed problem I am stating is happening but per Ford hotline no repairs are to be done until 2500 miles. Car needs to learn driving pattern. The problem is it shifts so hard it throws my children back in their seat and goes into the red zone while shifting. My car now has 1,600 miles and still shifting really hard. The veh is now shifting hard into 2nd and 3rd gear.

- Newark, OH, USA

Aug 082008

Edge

3 week old sel Ford Edge, with automatic transmission, rolls back while in the drive gear on any slight incline. Nearly hit car in front of me quickly switching to gas pedal from brakes to avoid hitting car behind me on incline in stop & go rush hour traffic. Safety issue for driving on slight inclines, in hilly areas, parking on any slight incline, and valet parking. Complained to dealer, but dealer says it's normal due to the torque converter selected by Ford.

- Vv, CA, USA

Mar 012008

Edge

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Edge. While at a stop sign, the contact attempted to accelerate, but the vehicle began going backwards. In order to get the vehicle to go forward, the contact had to apply one foot on the accelerator pedal, and the other foot on the brake pedal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that nothing could be done. The engine size and number of cylinders were unavailable. The current mileage was 314 and failure mileage was 200.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA