2011 Ford Edge engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Jan 122016

(on multiple occasions )my 2011 Ford Edge upon accleration the vehicle loses the abiltiy to acclerate - shudders and the check engine flashes or stays on. Supposedly could not find the "code" that caused it. I have had the vehicle into 2 different dealer ships - one replaced the transfer case, the other the catalytic converter and ignition coils- to the cost of over $600 on a used certified vehicle. Less than a few days later same issue - back to dealer said it was a loose wire. I now drive the vehicle very tentatively and hope I don't have to accelerate quickly.the vehicle persists in the ability to not acclerate quickly ( usually at 55 mph or higher )without the engine light flashing or staying on. It also seems to happen most frequently on quick accleration --on ramp or getting up to freeway speed. It is very dangerous as this usually happens getting on or off the freeway or staying up with traffic, once the light goes on the vehicle shudders and will not accelerate today it will be 3 months first visit was Oct 29 mileage was 68000 and has happened up to today multiple times and mileage is now 74000 the check engine light is on again back to Ford dealer again tomorrow.

- Hartford, WI, USA

Dec 162015

While driving the powertrain error code (wrench icon) pops up and my cars loses all acceleration. I'm forced to try to get to the shoulder of the road while coasting and then once stopped if I take my key out and reinsert and start the car everything is fine. Ford dealer cannot find any errors with the vehicle and this has happened multiple times. This is a major safety concern to unexpectedly lose all engine power while at high speed on freeways or even side roads without a shoulder. There are lots of people with the same issue posting the same problems.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Sep 042015

Engine stalls, changes to limp home mode. This can happen during acceleration or at speed. The error wrench lights. This has resulted in an unsafe deceleration in traffic. Dealer finds no code in the system. Engine will run fine after shutdown and restart. The incidents occur on surface streets, intersections, and at highway speed. The Ford case number is case number cas7831451V2Q4H3. No satisfaction from Ford at this time.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 102015

Vehicle failed NJ state inspection twice for "not ready" conditions. There's a known issue recall 13E04 - PCM configuration error with computer issue dtc P160A reoccurring and our VIN is not covered under this first recall although every issue is the same as VIN specific recalls

- Brick, NJ, USA

Nov 062015

I left my house in the morning on 11/6 and after a short drive the "AWD off" and a "little wrench" light came on and the car lost power and just stopped in the middle of the street since I was trying to go up a hill. Thankfully no one was behind me!! it started to run very rough so I turned it off quickly, waited a few seconds and restarted it. The car then ran ok and got me to work and home again but when my husband took it to run an errand that night, same thing happened to him and then again this morning when I was bringing the car down for service. This was three times in one day! with no warning the car just loses power and stops. Very dangerous!! I'm afraid to drive my car now and I don't want to be on the highway and have this happen - someone is going to get hurt. The dealer cannot duplicate the problem or find a code coming up to reveal the issue.

- Groton, MA, USA

Nov 052015

Edge 6-cyl

While driving the car will suddenly lose power ( not accelerate ). the wrench light will come on. You must try to safely coast to side of road and turn ignition off and restart. This happens intermittently and is very dangerous in heavy traffic and at higher speeds. This has occurred on interstate highway and city driving. Dangerous also when there is not enough room to pull off road safely. We have taken car to Ford dealership but they cannot find problem. We have noted on the internet that a lot of other Ford Edge drivers are also having this issue. I would think that Ford Motor Company would be aware of this problem. I would hope that this issue will be addressed before someone is seriously injured or killed. This has happened 6 times from 11/30/2015. It also happened over a year ago 4-5 times and Ford could not find problem. Thank you

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Oct 162015

While driving on interstate the vehicle all of a sudden stalled. The engine was still on and running but while depressing the accelerator there was no response. Was forced to carefully pull off to the side of the road. Turned the vehicle off and restarted the vehicle. The vehicle started with no problem. This was a scary situation no one should have to go through. The vehicle was checked out by 2 mechanics and they could not diagnose a problem. Checked with Ford and was no told there were no recalls, after I explained my situation. After researching the internet I realized others were having similar problems. Throttle body housing issues were described repeatedly. At my expense had the throttle body housing assembly removed and replaced. This is a very serious situation that needs addressing by Ford Motor Company. As a retired houston firefighter I saw my share of horrible injuries as a result of motor vehicle accidents. The car in question belongs to my daughter and it is her first. If anything were to happen to her my family would be crushed. I am seeking some answers to why Ford has not done something about this major problem. This is a major problem that not only needs addressing but needs to be resolved before someone is affected in a tragic way.

- Humble, TX, USA

Nov 012015

Was driving down highway and the powertrain malfunction warning came on. I was unable to drive the car just shutdown.

- Lindsay, OK, USA

Oct 262015

My husband and I were driving home (going approximately 40 mph) with our 2 year old and all of the sudden the car lost power. It did not die but wouldn't go over 5 mph. Thankfully, we were close to home and not on a busy highway. If we had been on a busy highway I do believe it would have cause an accident and that terrifies me since this is our primary family vehicle. I have read that Ford extended the warranty for this issue but was not made to issue a recall. Unfortunately, Ford Inc's "customer satisfaction program" for this issue expired in January 2015 so now I will be out the money to fix this extremely dangerous issue. Ford Motor Company should be made to issue a recall to fix this issue before it kills someone.

- Mayfield, KY, USA

Oct 232015

This is the second report I have made about this issue. The first was on/about set. 26, 2015. When I was driving, the car in motion, the power train malfunction indicator (a wrench) comes on, the car loses all power, goes down to perhaps 2 miles per hour, and then stops. It feels as though the power steering also goes out. When the car stops, it shakes and jerks. You cannot accelerate. I turn the motor off and then on, "resetting" the indicator (per the Ford dealership). And the issue stops. It has happened again today, Oct. 23rd. Twice (in the morning and again this afternoon). I called sam galloway Ford in fort myers, fl and was told to bring it in on Nov. 4th. Again, today is Oct. 23. I was told, by danielle (service advisor), that "since it is not happening all the time it was fine to wait" until Nov. 4, 2015. I am afraid to drive this car this is a safety issue for me, anyone I have in the car, and other drivers. Are you going to wait until someone gets killed because of this issue" I am on busy roads when this happens. Why don't you do something???"

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Oct 152015

My car will cut off randomly while driving down a city street at around 40 miles per hour. It has also happened while in a drive through while idling with foot on brake.

- Addison, TX, USA

Oct 032015

While driving the engine stalls, running only in a rough idle. The AWD off warning light comes on along with a warning light showing a wrench icon. The vehicle will only move 1 - 2 miles per hour, which is very dangerous in traffic or at an intersection! this happens at different speeds in city driving (I feel it is too dangerous to drive at fast highway speeds and no longer feel safe in this vehicle!) I understand other Ford vehicles having this same problem are named in a customer satisfaction program, and the problem is a faulty throttle body that is replaced.

- Monterey, TN, USA

Sep 302015

Last week, while my wife was driving our 2011 Ford Edge sport with 41,000 miles at 65mph on a busy Chicago highway, the message center pinged, "AWD off" message appeared, then a picture of a wrench appeared. The car then lost all power, including steering. Luckily, she was able to coast to the shoulder without causing a major accident and turn the car off. After a couple of minutes, she started the car and all appeared fine. Not being sure of what just happened, we took the car to the Ford dealership for inspection. $200 later, they told us that a brake pedal connector was loose and that was most likely the cause. A week later the exact same thing happened, again while she was traveling on a busy Chicago area highway at 65mph. After pulling over, turning the car off, and calming herself down, she started driving to get off of the highway. After about 10 minutes it happened again. This time she pulled over and called me. I met her and I drove the car to the Ford dealership. While I was driving, it happened three more times. However, I noticed that it appeared that if I kept the car under 40mph, it would run without recurrence. When I arrived at the Ford dealership, they were able to read the computer code. This time they told me it was code P2111 and that the throttle body actuator control was stuck open and that the throttle body and motor assembly needed to be replaced. $800 later, the repairs were completed. The evening we dropped the car off at the dealership, while doing some research on the internet, I learned that this appears to be a known issue with a "customer satisfaction program" to address being put in place. Unfortunately, my Ford dealership service advisor told me that they knew nothing of this when we picked the car up the next day. Having been through this, I can say I am quite surprised there are no deaths associated with this dangerous issue.

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Sep 252015

Driving on I-40 in asheville nc at 65 mph when engine light with wrench came on -no power able to get off rd-waited 5 min restarted car ok -another 5 miles same thing wrench light on car no power-able to restart-does 2 more times before getting home-check engine light on-hope Ford can help

- Kings Mtn, NC, USA

Sep 212015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. While driving 35-40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The contact stated that the failure occurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 28,000.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

May 012015

On several occasions the vehicle lost all acceleration and power to the engine. Yellow wrench showed there was a warning, and check engine light flashed, but upon turning off the car (the main electronics ie:radio/ac still worked) and restarting it resumed "normal" functions and driving. We had several times this happened to us. All of the occurrences happened in the middle of accelerating and at different speeds. Two were on residential roads, one was in a busy intersection, and one (the worst) was on the freeway 3 lanes over from the right shoulder going with the flow of traffic at 70mph. The dealership was unsuccessful N assisting with the problem because without a check engine light they were unable to diagnose the problem. But our latest incident, on September 11th, 2015 (this time the wrench and AWD off flashed), the check engine light stayed on and it was diagnosed as a bad throttle body. This is more than dangerous it is a russian roulette of whether the car will work or not. Please take this situation seriously, there are many other people complaining about the same year and model as my car, having the same exact issue. This should be put on recall immediately.

- Belmont, CA, USA

Aug 222015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. While driving at 60 mph, the vehicle stalled and the wrench indicator illuminated. The contact stated that the vehicle was able to restart; however, the failure recurred approximately 10 miles down the road. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Yorktown Heights, NY, USA

Sep 092015

On 9/9 I left orange beach al to drive home to jonesboro ar with my 2011 Ford Edge - it quit on me at least 45 times. I went to 2 Ford dealers, one mechanic on the road. First Ford dealer had no clue how to fix it and told me to leave 3 or 4 days. Next Ford dealer wanted $1500 4 hours and maybe more. So I kept driving since part costs $184. When driving the car just shuts off. No power steering, now brakes no nothing. If I could I got to the side of the road and turned on my flashers. I waited a few minutes and cranked it back up. Several times on the one lane road headed into hattiesburg I almost got rear ended by 18 wheelers and no side area to pull over - my car just quit - stopped and I stopped. I got to jackson 6 lane road 5:00 P.M rush hour and my car quit 6 times and I almost got hit there several times. My wrench icon comes on, my oil light came on, my engine light is on now also. The car abruptly stops - this is very dangerous - my husband got a car hauler and headed toward me and met me out of jackson. Once, it stopped to abruptly that my dogs hit the dashboard in the front seat and were so scared. They were in the backseat. I have grandchildren that ride with me - so can you imagine the issues that could happen when this car just shuts off. This is a severe problem that Ford needs to address this and so does I called Ford today and they all but laughed at me and said I needed to get a new throttle body installed and pay for it that the 2011 Ford Edge was not included in the consumer satisfaction program 13N03 that I found on a website. This is a very dangerous problem that Ford needs to address immediately. I could have died yesterday trying to get home - did Ford care no - they will when someone dies.

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

Sep 092015

While driving at approximately 35 mph, the power train warning light illuminated (the wrench light) appeared. The engine then began to sputter and stalled. Everything still working but when you pushed the gas no paower. Maneuvered off the road and was able to restart the engine. Worked properly after restarting. Concerned it will do it again in traffic.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Sep 022015

At 4 separate times my vehicle suddenly and without warning had a total loss of power at highway speeds during rush hour traffic. I was forced to coast to the right side of the road and on to the shoulder with other vehicles all around me going 70 mph. I stopped the vehicle and restarted it. It hesitated, but did start again, and then drove fine 10 minutes before doing the exact same thing again! I took it to the Ford dealership and they person at the desk knew what it was right away without even looking at the car: The throttle body. This is apparently a very common problem with these vehicles, and Ford has already issued an extended warranty for other cars with a similar problem. For the Edge, however, I am being forced to pay $600 to repair it or risk my life by continuing to drive it as it is. Ford knows about this problem. They have even redesigned the part. They should be forced to recall the part before somebody gets hurt (or worse) because of their mistake!

- Fort Smith, AR, USA