3.5

2013 Ford Edge brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Edge:

2013 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 172016

Edge

After 30,000 miles we took our 2013 Ford Edge for service and for $800 they changed oil, rotated tires, etc. They also noticed that our brakes and rotors had to be replaced due to wear and rust. This cost an additional $700. We have driven numerous vehicles and kept them to 100,000 miles and have never had this concern.

- Duluthy, MN, USA

Nov 072016

Edge

I first noticed a hissing sound when I would push the brake pedal. It then became sometimes difficult to press the brake pedal but then also like it did not work and would go all the way to the floor. At times, when I have the car stopped using the brakes it feels as though they are slipping and the car will lunge. I saw there was a bulletin issued by Ford to extend the warranty on this issue but when I reached out they told me my car was manufactured two months after the cutoff. When I asked what was changed to exclude my car they refused to give me an answer.

- Celina, TX, USA

Sep 282016

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. While driving into the garage, the brake pedal was depressed, but seemed to be locked. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster failed and needed replacement. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 42,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Ceres, CA, USA

Oct 282016

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. While approaching a traffic light, the vehicle failed to stop. The contact had to pump the brake pedal several times in order for the vehicle to come to a complete stop. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that the vehicle has had brake issues since January 15, 2016. The vehicle was taken to dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake boosters needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 56,000.

- Rome, GA, USA

Oct 052016

Edge

2013 Ford Edge, the brakes are difficult to apply and make a hissing noise. Without warning the pedal will go to the floor and the vehicle will stall. This has happened on the highway and on residential streets, and always when you are trying to stop. At times you literally have to use both feet to fully stop the vehicle. The issue started at the beginning of October and has been happening more frequent. I will no longer bring this vehicle on the highway. Why has there been no recall issued on this, or are we waiting for people to die or be seriously injured?

- North Providence, RI, USA

Aug 302016

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. While operating the vehicle at slow speeds, the engine suddenly shut off. Also, while depressing the brake pedal, the vehicle would not immediately stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster and throttle system were faulty. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Indianola, MS, USA

Mar 252016

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. While driving 25 mph, the brake pedal was depressed, but failed to respond. The brake pedal was difficult to apply and made a lot of noise. When the vehicle stopped, the engine turned off and the "engine lost power" warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,520.

- Indianola, MS, USA

Sep 232016

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. When depressing the brake pedal, there was a hissing sound. The vehicle was slow to decelerate and the engine shook and nearly stalled. The dealer diagnosed that the brake booster needed to be replaced and was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 36,057.

- Coconut Creek, FL, USA

Sep 192016

Edge

On 9/19/2016, reported problem of unable to stop when applying brakes. First time happened when exiting parking lot and ran stop sign. Second time happened as approached stoplight. Later on wife had similar problems stopping from 35mph at stop sign and other stoplights. Problem was leaking brake booster covered under extended warranty recall #13N02. This recall was not previously noted on Ford.com, but it showed up today, 9/20/2016.

- Boise, ID, USA

Sep 162016

Edge

Approached stop sign, from parking lot at approx 8-10 mph. Applied brakes, but they went soft and entered two lane highway approx. 2 feet. Dump truck swerved to miss me. Cautiously drove home but at first stoplight I encountered, same thing happened, nearly running into car in front of me. Wife left that evening to deliver meal to my elderly mother. She said that same thing happened to her at one stop sign and two stoplights. (car was in motion during all incidents. Mine happened while leaving a parking lot and entering a two-lane highway. Hers happened on two lane road near home and four-lane intersection across town. This is really a scary scenario. Made appointment to take car to dealer on Monday Sept. 19. 2016.

- Boise, ID, USA

Sep 082016

Edge

While driving to work on 9/8/16 on a mail thoroughfare, I had to hit the brakes hard because a vehicle pulled out it front of me. Since that time the brake pedal has been inconsistent (firm/soft) and when it goes soft it requires more stopping distance. In addition when stopped at a light or stop sign and pressing down on the brake pedal there is a squealing sound coming from under the dash/firewall area. After taking vehicle to local mechanic it was determined to be the brake booster/vacuum pump attached to the master cylinder that has failed.

- South Milwaukee, WI, USA

Feb 032016

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. While attempting to engage the brakes, an abnormal squeaking sound emitted from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the rotors were cracked and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the remedy failed to repair the issue. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Jun 282016

Edge

Brake booster - there is a known problem with a defective part (brake booster) on the Ford Edge as identified by Ford in the customer satisfaction program 13N02. Despite Ford's knowledge of the faulty/defective part, they only issued a recall for vehicles built at the Oakville assembly plant. My car began to fail about 2 weeks ago and I took it to be serviced. The technician told me there was nothing wrong with it. The symptoms were engine light was on and the car was shutting down when stopped at red light or stop signs. After a week or so my brakes gave out suddenly causing me to veer off the road to avoid hitting a car. I took it back to the Ford service area and was told that the brake booster was bad and that was causing the brake failure and the engine cutting off. Ford is aware of the dangerous brake failure caused by the faulty/defective brake booster, but refuses to recall all vehicles that are having this problem. This is a road hazard and consumer safety issue that causes unsafe conditions that Ford needs to acknowledge on all Ford Edge vehicles and not a select few.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Jun 272016

Edge

I currently own a 2013 Ford Edge 2013 that is experiencing brake failure. During braking (while in motion, in the city, highway, interstate, and turning the vehicle loses significant breaking performance. When pressing the brake to stop the vehicle the vehicle does not stop at times and the brake pedal hardens and hisses during breaking. This began Wednesday, June 22, 2016. In review Ford Motor Company has a recall on the brake booster for years 2010-2013. When contacting Ford Motor Company and speaking to aaron employee number 62306, he stated that my vehicle fell a few months outside of the covered vehicles. Spoke to jeremy at stivers Ford dealership in montgomery, al. They will not review the issue unless I pay $ $99.95 diagnostic testing and there is no guarantee that Ford nor stiver will relieve the financial burden of the repairs nor supply a loaner for the duration of fixing. After several attempts to get help, including contacting the service manager of stiver's Ford jeff anderson, there has been no urgent matter to fix or help with getting this resolved. As it stands this vehicle is safety hazard and is losing its braking performance which will lead to road hazard of possible fatality. This is only means of transportation for my family of myself (single mother and two small children).

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Jun 072016

Edge

Takata recall we bought the 2013 Ford Edge new and within a week started to here noise in the brakes, we called the dealer an they said its probably because the car sits garage too much. So we put more miles on the car drove it more now at just over 22,000 miles the brakes started getting really noisy an became a bumping sound you could here while starting to step up the speed. We got scared to drive it so took it to my mechanic. They took apart the brakes and they pads and rotors were all shot and will cost me over $500 to fix. We called the dearler who said that it is out of warrentee.

- Peru, NY, USA

May 262016

Edge

I have two major problems and safety issues with this car. First is the power booster, which is covered under extended warranty. Symptoms of booster issue are spongy brakes that then went hard with little resistance accompanied by hissing sound coming from brakes. The second issue is a defective throttle body. Three times in as many days when food is on brake, the brake pushes back essentially having lost power brakes and requiring both feet firmly pressed on brake to even remotely slow car down, unable to completely stop vehicle, at the same time I lose power steering and cannot control direction of car, the warning light "low oil pressure" illuminates on the dash. This does not send car into so called "limp home" mode it renders the car essentially inoperable. If I turn the car off and then back on again it returns to normal driving function....until it happens again. I've been lucky that this happened backing out of my driveway and in straight lane stop and go traffic on city streets. Had this happened when I was driving along a curvy mountain road, along the coast or on a los angeles freeway moving 65 mph..I doubt I would have been so lucky. I cannot believe the throttle issue in the Edge is not covered under the extended warranty given to other Ford model cars or even more that this isn't a sweeping safety recall. I am risking life and limb of myself and my two young children driving this car. This is my first Ford and will probably be my last. Ford should be ashamed of themselves.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 232016

Edge

Dangerous and faulty braking system. Brakes sometimes feel spongy and to the floor and other times hard like a brick with very little give and the car is extremely difficult to stop and impossible to brake quickly. There is a hissing sound present when the brake pedal is depressed. Most challenging in stop and go traffic or coming off of high speeds going downhill. Terrifying to drive especially with my children in the car.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 142016

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. While driving 35 mph around a curve, the brakes failed to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000.

- Princeton, WV, USA

May 032016

Edge

I was driving down the street and my brakes failed. I had to hit the curb to stop the vehicle. This is truly a safety issued, I was told my booster for the brakes failed and it was too new of a vehicle to have this problem and that it needed to be reported and addressed by the Ford company. This is very dangerous no warning at all and this repair was very costly.

- Portland, OR, USA

Apr 262016

Edge

Brake extended warranty 13N02: Warranty covers vehicles through build date 3/2013 my vehicle has build date 7/2013 built at same plant listed in warranty extension 13N02. I experienced same problem described in 13N02.my vehicle isn't covered. I'm sure I am not the only one. Its the brakes. Serious safety concern. All vehicles with the brake problem should be covered.

- Ponca City, OK, USA