2013 Ford Edge electrical problems: door ajar light stays on

Door Ajar Light Stays On

2013 Ford Edge (Page 1 of 13)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

7.6

2. replaced door latch assembly (67 reports)
  3. clean or replace door ajar sensor (29 reports)
2013 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Edge:

2013 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 13)

Dec 022014

Edge SEL 3.2L V6

The doors won't lock while the door thinks it's ajar. This seems like a major safety problem.

- , Saint Charles, US

Apr 012016

Edge ES 3.2lV6

the repair for the sensor switch is very expensive and there is no guarantee this wont happen again. the interior light stays on when the car is off and drains the battery. This is not a use issue this should be a recall.

- , Duluth, US

Jan 012016

Edge SEL 3.5L L V6

I have had the dome light stay on for over a year now from the driver side door sensor not realizing the door is shut. I have to stand there for God knows how long opening the door and closing it again and hitting the lock button off my keys to see if the lights go off. I'm a mother of two, 6 and 2. I've had to stand outside with them crying, sleeping, whatever doing this OVER and OVER to make sure my light goes off. Night after night, constantly doing this in parking lots after turning my car off. CONSTANTLY!!!!

In the last 2 months, my driver side REAR door is now having issues. The info says it's the rear door and the driver door now. So going down the road we have that awful ding letting me know that it's not shut WHEN IT IS. Once again having to stand outside with babies now having to OPEN AND SHUT BOTH DOORS AND LOCKING IT AND UNLOCKING IT OVER AND OVER AND OVER UNTIL THE LIGHTS GO OFF. WHILE I HAVE CRYING SCREAMING BABIES AT TIMES. WHILE IT'S FREEZING COLD OR SCORCHING HOT. I've even had instances to which the light would not be on once I go into my home and hours later after going outside multiple times and the light not being on to walk by the door and see my lights on due to the stupid sensor thinking the door is not shut so it automatically turns my lights on and has run down my battery due to this happening in the middle of the night and I am unknown of it until the next morning!

Why haven't I taken it to be fixed, because I am NOT going to pay another $400 to fix something on my vehicle like this when I still have an extended warranty and am already paying a huge amount for this vehicle. This may not be a recall situation but it is a major DEFAULT situation that FORD needs to handle.

- , Wappapello, US

Dec 082015

Edge SEL 3.2L V6

I purchased the 2013 Ford Edge in May of 2015. After having hardly any issues with the 2007 model I thought this would be a no-brainer purchase. Man was I wrong. While I have had significant issues with this car from the tires to the brakes, the common reocurring theme is this door ajar light coming on when the front driver side door is clearly closed. This causes the dome lights to stay on thus draining the battery. Additionally, the door doesn't always lock when this light goes on leaving my vehicle open to theft. The first door ajar light issue I had was around winter 2015 where the sensor was replaced. It was covered by a warranty however I was charged over $100 just to get it put on the computer for evaluation. see my second complaint with is almost an exact replication of this one

- , Stow, US

Sep 202017

Edge SEL 3.2L V6

This is the second time my 2013 Ford Edge SEL "door ajar" light has gone off. The last time was Winter 2015 when the dealership replaced the sensor after charging me $100 to put it on the computer for evaluation. Almost 2 years later, the same issue arose. This light goes on intermittently and causes the dome lights to remain on thus draining the car battery. I will be calling to see if there is a warranty on the part itself from the dealership that replaced it but I am guessing that won't be the case. While this car is aesthetically beautiful, it is a disaster maintenance wise. I wouldn't advise anyone purchasing this vehicle as this has been one of many issues that I have had with this car.

- , Stow, US

Sep 072017

Edge Sport 3.2L V8

This is definitely an engineering problem that affects numerous components of the vehicle, including running the battery down. This is my wife's car and I do not want her to get stuck somewhere. In today's environment this could be a safety problem.

- , Spicewood, US

May 102017

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

Interior light and warning sensor and alarm won't turn off. Battery has drained a couple times and will have to be replaced now. doors won't stay locked in motion, and doors won't stay locked in park.

- , Forest Grove, OR, US

Jun 012017

Edge Limited 3.2L

2013 Ford Edge driver door ajar light always ON!!!

- , Hamilton, ON, Canada

Jun 012017

Edge LES V6

This is a well documented problem with a poor switch design and should be recalled.

- , Glenn Heights, US

Jul 012015

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

This problem is very annoying. Ford has refused to repair under Warranty as they informed me it was due to over use and compared the problem to worn brake shoes failing after extended use. It is the constant annoying warning device beeping after stops at stop signs or traffic lights. Interior lights remain on for 15 minutes after I shut down my vehicle. This problem may sometimes correct itself for a short while only to return after several door opening and closing.

This has not been a safety issue for me as I do not require the doors to lock automatically as I do not have children. I feel that from hearing complaints from other Ford customers that Ford has a responsibility to recall and replace the faulty switch. What annoys me is that I know Ford owners who have spent over $500.00 to replace this switch have only driven for a short while to have the problem re-occur. I do not require a device to inform me that my door is not shut. I am very capable of knowing this.

- , Esterhazy, SK, Canada

Jul 212017

Edge LX 3.2V6

THE SAY IT WILL COST 500.00 CHECKED ON INTERNET AND ITS A PROBLEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Shawnee, US

Jul 012017

Edge SU

The door Ajar issue with the Ford Edge should have a recall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Greer, SC, US

Jul 012017

Edge SE 3.5L V6

2013 Ford Edge SE that alarms "Door Ajar" nearly nonstop. When this happens, the interior lighs stay on (hugh safety issue while driving at night). There is a temporary method of bypassing the annoying alarm. You can manuver throught the menu system on the sterring wheel . But doing this while driving is a huge safety concern and I have young drivers in the house. I am concerned for there well being behond the wheel of this thing.

- , Orlando, FL, US

Jul 182017

Edge

We have bought Ford vehicles all our lives (have 5 in the family now). This issue came up last week and is totally annoying. It also leaves the lights on in the car (or turns them on) while driving. I have been researching the problem and it seems to be very, very common so I don't understand why Ford has not done a recall on this. Seems it will cost between $400-500 to have fixed which is way out of line. I have just barely over 44,000 miles on this 2013 Edge and it has been well-maintained. Ford needs to make this right!

- , Garland, US

Jun 162017

Edge Limited

Seems I have the same problem over 2,000 others have. My door ajar light will not turn off even when my door is repeatedly closed. Took my car to the dealer and they want over $400 to replace door latch. Sorry too much for a $60 part. Unless car is recalled guess I have to do it myself.

- , Orange, US

Jan 012016

Edge Limited 3.0L

Frequently, the door ajar light stays on even thought all doors are closed properly. My doors will not lock while it is running, stopped, parked or even parked with the ignition off. There have been times, while parked & ignition off, I have found my battery completely dead because the interior lights would not go off.

- , Haughton, US

Jul 142017

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

The door ajar light stayed on, dome light stayed on and door locks did not lock. After contacting the dealership found this is a very common problem and we live in a smaller community. they had replaced multiple door latches. They had just finished replacing one and had to order another part for us. We feel there should have been a recall on this item, the door could have flown open when driving or the battery could have died since the dome lights may not have gone off. A royal pain in the butt. There needs to be a recall and we need to be reimbursed for this fix.

- , Fairmont, US

Jul 192017

Edge Limited V6

I have driven Ford's my entire life and I have to say this issue is the most pain in the ASS!!! Ford, GET Your act together and fix these China parts...I swear, if I have to start protesting outside of one of your dealerships, I will. This is bullshit!

- , Casselberry, US

Apr 102017

Edge V6

For a few months my "Driver Door Ajar" light is constantly on causing my dome lights to stay on while driving or when I close and lock the vehicle which causes the battery to drain. This is dangerous at night because I can't see the road with the dome lights on..although they eventually turn off when you start driving but the beeping and "Door Ajar" light doesn't go away. I've been having to get a jump or call AAA every time my battery dies which has been happening too often. Recently I can't even use the manual key to open the door when the car is locked so I've been calling AAA to open my car door as well just to get to my jumper cables. This past month I discovered that sometimes it turns off when you push the door and let it lightly close itself. Now I always have to watch if the dome lights turn off when I lock the car, it takes me about 10 tries to unlock and close the door until they turn off making me look like I have OCD out in public.

This is becoming very frustrating. As my research shows, many other people have been having this issue for awhile.

This poorly designed sensor is causing dangerous driving with dome lights staying on at night, and draining batteries leaving people stranded with no ways to get into the vehicle with the fob or in my case the MANUAL KEY!

It costs about $400 to get it fixed when this is not the vehicle owners fault but a poor design?? Come on Ford!!!

- , Fort Collin, US

Jul 062017

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

This my second problem with the door ajar, only 40,000 miles after the first one. I am checking to see if there is a fuse I can remove to make this go away. No kids ride in the car and I have driven cars for years with no such warning system and never have fallen out of one of them.

- , Aurora, CO, US