ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2013 Ford Edge electrical problems: door ajar light stays on

Door Ajar Light Stays On

2013 Ford Edge (Page 1 of 17)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Edge has its fair share of problems, but chief among them is an annoying “door ajar” warning light that won’t shut off even when the door is most definitely closed. While the retina-burning, ever-present false reminder on your dashboard is bad, it points to a deeper problem that can drain the battery, leave the doors unlocked while in motion, or render the key fob useless.

7.6

$410

2. replaced door latch assembly (75 reports)
  3. clean or replace door ajar sensor (32 reports)
  4. replace door latch (12 reports)
2013 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Edge:

2013 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 17)

Mar 062018

Edge SEL V6

2013 Ford Edge with low miles has the door ajar light that stays on even with door closed. It has drained 2 batteries already. I have to slam the door multiple times IF that will even get it to go off. I slam it so hard I think the window will bust sometimes and it still doesn't make the light go off. The door locks will also not lock when the lights are on which could result in my door coming open while driving. Driving at night with the lights staying illuminated is dangerous. FORD need to issue a recall! This IS a safety concern!

If anyone has an easy fix, please let me know. I'm almost to the point I am willing to break the connector inside the door lock as indicted in all of the UTUBE videos for others who have the same issue.

- April E., Louisville, US

May 032018

Edge Sel

The doors won't lock when your driving. Lights stay on and drain your battery. Terrible that Ford doesn't fix this very common issue so I will have to. I thought I would buy a new one but know I do t know

- Sonja M., Pinole, US

Sep 012015

Edge

Door ajar sensor keeps saying the door is open when it is not. When stopped at a traffic light it gives an annoying beep letting you know the door is open. At night you can't go in reverse without the dome light being on. When in drive the light does go out after a few feet. The doors won't automatically lock either which is a safety hazard. Now my dome lights in the car come on in the middle of the night without anyone touching the car. As of yesterday the keypad on the door won't work at all. It does not even light up. Also, from time to time, the automatic door locks won't unlock the car unless I crank it up first. I really wish this would be recalled.

- Cassandra O., Raleigh, US

May 302018

Edge SEL V6

I can't get this door ajar alarm to shut off. There appears to be a significant amount of similar complaints from other owners. I would hope that Ford addresses this issue and fixes it for free. I currently own 2 Ford vehicles.

- Joe M., Shrewsbury, MA, US

May 272018

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

Really annoying problem. Also a safety concern with kids in the car.

- William J., Perrinton, MI, US

May 012018

Edge

This is the second time the same door sensor is malfunctioning. The first time was in 2015 at about 30,000 miles. The car now has about 78,000 miles. The door is shut, however the ding dong sound is relentless. Interior light stays on (draining the battery). The dash indicator states stop, shift to park, door ajar.

The Ford dealer is telling me it'll be $150 to run a diagnostic. I have to think they've seen this issue before, but act as if they haven't.

I've had so many issues with the Edge (unfortunately because I like the vehicle in general).

- Twice the door ajar issue - Sunroof stopped working at 50,000 miles (at only 3 years old) - Leaking oil which required an entire engine rebuild, only 6 months after purchasing the car new - Sync system issues - voice commands not recognized about 60% of the time.

- Chris B., Thousand Oaks, US

May 132015

Edge

The door was closed. The ding dong sound kept going. The interior lights would not turn off (drain on battery). Indicator kept stating stop, shift to park. VERY annoying.

- Chris B., Thousand Oaks, US

May 012018

Edge ES V6

The door ajar (drivers side) stays on when door is clearly shut. I see this is a know problem. What is the fix?

- Sheila P., Plano, US

Mar 012018

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

This problem is well documented by thousands in numerous vehicles and Ford needs to deal with it properly. What doesn't make sense is that there already was a recall for this exact issue in earlier vehicle models, but for some reason this is no longer being recalled for safety. Clearly it's a huge safety problem in a number of ways and a gross slap in the face to customers who mistakenly purchased a Ford. If the company doesn't soon pony up to replace the cheap, crappy components used I will definitely trade this thing in and stay away from the Ford dealers. A company profiting 10.2B a year shouldn't need to wait for Big Brother to tell them what to do, they should be wise and invest in the customers who in return will invest back.

- fishininthedark85, Lombardy, ON, Canada

Mar 032015

Edge SLT

This is a problem for Ford Edge owners and Ford needs to fix their design error.

- Al V., North Olmsted, OH, US

Apr 032017

Edge SEL 3.2L

I have had this repaired twice from 2 different Ford Dealers and the problem continues. Ford dealer in Jacksonville, FL did not even want to fool with repair the second time I took it back to them.

- Michael T., Blowing Rock, US

Apr 242018

Edge Limited V6

The door ajar light would come on when starting the car, randomly when it was running. It stayed on when I shut the door, leaving the lights on and not allowing me to lock it. Or use my remote start! No recall because it is not a safety issue? How about a dead battery and a stolen car? Or how do we trust that the door is open if the light is always on???

- Gayle O., Cedar Crest, NM, US

Mar 222018

Edge

I had this problem about 20,000 kms ago and now it is back again. Tired of spending money on a known problem that Ford is aware is an ongoing issue with all 2013 Ford Edge. They should do a recall and fix the problem as it is pain in the ass and is dangerous and my door locks no longer work. PLEASE COME UP WITH A RECALL AND FIX THE PROBLEM.

- Barry C., Vermilion, AB, Canada

Dec 062017

Edge SEL V6

This issue started after my vehicle was broken into but they never wrecked anything so I'm not sure if it was coincidence or related. Usually happens more when it's cold than warm. Minus 20 it REALLY doesn't want to believe my closed door is in fact closed and latched. Sometime I stand and open and close my door 30 times before it will recognize the latch. I always make my horn honk now when locking as when its "not latched" it beeps twice. Will look into the cost for repair, not thrilled Ford won't cover it. And it started AFTER my extended warranty expired.. of course.

- Melissa A., Edmonton, AB, Canada

Jul 012016

Edge SEL 6 CYL

Started with the back left door and is now happening on driver's side door as well. Super annoying!

- Shawn C., Los Angeles, CA, US

Nov 012017

Edge SEL 3.5L

Problem was already fixed once by dealership. Ford is aware of this ongoing issue but has not come up with a solution to fix the problem permanently. Not very good customer service this was our first Ford and may be our last. Ford find a permanent solution to fix this and do a massive recall.

- Laurie S., London, ON, Canada

Apr 152017

Edge SEL 3.5L

The door ajar alarm comes on when the key is put in and stays on until key is removed. Also causes interior lights to stay on.

- stoney63362, Moscow Mills, US

Mar 122018

Edge Limited V6

This car is only 4 plus years old. Why is this failing? Never had this issue before with any car I've owned. On top of that, since I've had the car so long and have taken such good care of it, I now get punished because it's not under warranty. Hey Ford, longtime customer, fix this thing at no charge. Maybe it's time for a change??

- Michael B., La Quinta, US

Sep 012017

Edge SEL V6

This is beyond annoying. The light comes even while driving, it's running my battery dry. This is a major problem.

- Jermaine S., Orange, US

Aug 192016

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

On 8/19/16 The dealer removed the door latch, simply cleaned it and lubricated it. They said it was now working and would not replace the door latch. It is now doing the same thing after 1 year and about 6 months. I paid $100.00 deductible as it was still covered under warranty to have them just clean it.

- pilman, Sunnyvale, US