2013 Ford Edge electrical problems: door ajar light stays on

Door Ajar Light Stays On

2013 Ford Edge (Page 1 of 13)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

7.6

2. replaced door latch assembly (66 reports)
  3. clean or replace door ajar sensor (28 reports)
2013 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Edge:

2013 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 13)

Jul 012015

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

This problem is very annoying. Ford has refused to repair under Warranty as they informed me it was due to over use and compared the problem to worn brake shoes failing after extended use. It is the constant annoying warning device beeping after stops at stop signs or traffic lights. Interior lights remain on for 15 minutes after I shut down my vehicle. This problem may sometimes correct itself for a short while only to return after several door opening and closing.

This has not been a safety issue for me as I do not require the doors to lock automatically as I do not have children. I feel that from hearing complaints from other Ford customers that Ford has a responsibility to recall and replace the faulty switch. What annoys me is that I know Ford owners who have spent over $500.00 to replace this switch have only driven for a short while to have the problem re-occur. I do not require a device to inform me that my door is not shut. I am very capable of knowing this.

- , Esterhazy, SK, Canada

Jul 212017

Edge LX 3.2V6

THE SAY IT WILL COST 500.00 CHECKED ON INTERNET AND ITS A PROBLEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Shawnee, US

Jul 012017

Edge SU

The door Ajar issue with the Ford Edge should have a recall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Greer, SC, US

Jul 012017

Edge SE 3.5L V6

2013 Ford Edge SE that alarms "Door Ajar" nearly nonstop. When this happens, the interior lighs stay on (hugh safety issue while driving at night). There is a temporary method of bypassing the annoying alarm. You can manuver throught the menu system on the sterring wheel . But doing this while driving is a huge safety concern and I have young drivers in the house. I am concerned for there well being behond the wheel of this thing.

- , Orlando, FL, US

Jul 182017

Edge

We have bought Ford vehicles all our lives (have 5 in the family now). This issue came up last week and is totally annoying. It also leaves the lights on in the car (or turns them on) while driving. I have been researching the problem and it seems to be very, very common so I don't understand why Ford has not done a recall on this. Seems it will cost between $400-500 to have fixed which is way out of line. I have just barely over 44,000 miles on this 2013 Edge and it has been well-maintained. Ford needs to make this right!

- , Garland, US

Jun 162017

Edge Limited

Seems I have the same problem over 2,000 others have. My door ajar light will not turn off even when my door is repeatedly closed. Took my car to the dealer and they want over $400 to replace door latch. Sorry too much for a $60 part. Unless car is recalled guess I have to do it myself.

- , Orange, US

Jan 012016

Edge Limited 3.0L

Frequently, the door ajar light stays on even thought all doors are closed properly. My doors will not lock while it is running, stopped, parked or even parked with the ignition off. There have been times, while parked & ignition off, I have found my battery completely dead because the interior lights would not go off.

- , Haughton, US

Jul 142017

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

The door ajar light stayed on, dome light stayed on and door locks did not lock. After contacting the dealership found this is a very common problem and we live in a smaller community. they had replaced multiple door latches. They had just finished replacing one and had to order another part for us. We feel there should have been a recall on this item, the door could have flown open when driving or the battery could have died since the dome lights may not have gone off. A royal pain in the butt. There needs to be a recall and we need to be reimbursed for this fix.

- , Fairmont, US

Jul 192017

Edge Limited V6

I have driven Ford's my entire life and I have to say this issue is the most pain in the ASS!!! Ford, GET Your act together and fix these China parts...I swear, if I have to start protesting outside of one of your dealerships, I will. This is bullshit!

- , Casselberry, US

Apr 102017

Edge V6

For a few months my "Driver Door Ajar" light is constantly on causing my dome lights to stay on while driving or when I close and lock the vehicle which causes the battery to drain. This is dangerous at night because I can't see the road with the dome lights on..although they eventually turn off when you start driving but the beeping and "Door Ajar" light doesn't go away. I've been having to get a jump or call AAA every time my battery dies which has been happening too often. Recently I can't even use the manual key to open the door when the car is locked so I've been calling AAA to open my car door as well just to get to my jumper cables. This past month I discovered that sometimes it turns off when you push the door and let it lightly close itself. Now I always have to watch if the dome lights turn off when I lock the car, it takes me about 10 tries to unlock and close the door until they turn off making me look like I have OCD out in public.

This is becoming very frustrating. As my research shows, many other people have been having this issue for awhile.

This poorly designed sensor is causing dangerous driving with dome lights staying on at night, and draining batteries leaving people stranded with no ways to get into the vehicle with the fob or in my case the MANUAL KEY!

It costs about $400 to get it fixed when this is not the vehicle owners fault but a poor design?? Come on Ford!!!

- , Fort Collin, US

Jul 062017

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

This my second problem with the door ajar, only 40,000 miles after the first one. I am checking to see if there is a fuse I can remove to make this go away. No kids ride in the car and I have driven cars for years with no such warning system and never have fallen out of one of them.

- , Aurora, CO, US

Jun 102015

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

This is a real pain in the butt. Chime goes off, lights inside stay on. Cleaning the switch does not work. Ford has had this problem for years but no help for the second time it needs to be repaired.

- , Aurora, CO, US

May 082017

Edge SEL V6

Like so many others have reported, driver's door ajar light stays on, although the door is seemingly closed. Had fixed under original warranty. At the time, it was very intermittent, and would shut off after re-opening & closing. problem re-appeared a little over two years later. Light stays on almost always (90% of the time). Problem also causes interior lights to come on intermittently as well.

- , Regina, SK, Canada

Jun 042017

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

Doors won't lock, noise from sensor light on, and worse of all, the battery ran down and the wife is really mad.

- , Shepherdsville, KY, US

Feb 012017

Edge Sport

First, it was my front driver-side door ajar light that would not shut off. This led to me not being able to lock my car because it thought the door was open. And, on the off chance that it wasn't malfunctioning, I could lock my car and turn on the alarm, only for it to go off at 3 am in the morning because the sensor decided it thought the door was opened. Not fun! This happened multiple times, took it to the dealer and it was fixed because it was still under warranty.

NOW, my driver-side BACK door is doing the same thing!! Same issues, but now I it is not under warranty, and I certainly can't afford the $400 fix that is a DEFECT!!

This is why it is imperative that this problem is fix through a recall:

SAFETY - the overhead light stays on until you start driving. At night time, that is distracting and it makes it hard to see and could potentially cause an accident.

SAFETY - I can not lock my car without the alarm going off a few minutes later. This means that I can't leave anything of value in my car, ever!

INTEGRITY - Ford, if you can't fix this problem at no cost to the consumer, then you will have no consumer. I would like to get rid of this car right now, and I would not buy another Ford, ever.

- , Round Rock, US

Feb 012016

Edge Sport V6

The door in my 2013 Ford Edge Sport is shut... however, the car says the door is still open. The doors will not lock, the dome lights will not shut off, the chime keeps going off. This is a MAJOR safety concern when I have young passengers in the back. If I am stopped and want to lock the doors or if I do not want to constantly have my battery drained. Ford wants $750.00 to remedy the issue.

- , Tampa, US

Mar 012017

Edge Sport 3.7L

Door ajar issue has returned. Called Dealership and Ford Canada and the only suggestion from them has been to spend money on for the solution. From 250.00 to 500.00.

- , Regina, SK, Canada

May 242017

Edge Limited V6

sounds like ford has an issue with the door latch switch keeping lights on and door ajar light on

- , Iroquois, US

Jun 012017

Edge

The door ajar warning keeps showing on my car even when my door is closed. I have been climbing in and out of the passenger side because it is a pain in the ass to get it to turn off and if I can't get it to turn off the battery dies! As far as I know this Ford issue is being investigated and they have recalled other models, but not the EDGE!!!!!

- , Englewod, US

May 012017

Edge SL

The door ajar light stays illuminated, even when door is closed. As a result, none of the doors will lock as they should when driving. And the car then dings anytime you slow down, stop and take off again. I have had into a Ford garage and had it fixed once, thankfully it was still under warranty. Barely a year later, it's doing it again, and will be several hundred dollars out of my pocket to fix.

This is a well known issue on this model year, as well as others, and should be recalled!

- , Harrisburg, IL, US